Domane 2.3 or 4.3

2»

Comments

• Thanks. Yes, losing weight is the plan.

I want to be down to 13.5 stone by the time of the London Triathlon in August.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • IceDog77 wrote:
    I am just worried about my weight on that Carbon frame. I just have this feeling the 2.3's alloy frame will be sturdier and more assured.

Worry not, carbon is strong. If you want to worry, the worry about the wheels, the frame will be grand.
  • IceDog77, which way did you go in the end? The 2.3 or the 4.3? I'm currently trying to make the same decision!

Out of interest how tall are you and what size frames were you looking at?
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi ZZR-Matt,
    I commented earlier in the thread as I ride a Domane 2.0 (same frame as 2.3 but with Tiagra). I then upgraded to a TCR1 which I wasn't massively happy with.
    Since then I have got rid of the TCR and now ride a Madone 4.7. I can confirm that the 4 series carbon is very nice indeed. I would even go so far as to say I actually find the carbon Madone just as comfortable as my Domane. Personally I would say money well spent on going for the 4.3.
  • I have decided on the Domane 4.3. Going to be fitted on the 28th. I am 6ft so am looking at a 56 inch frame.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I don't think you will be dissapointed by the 4.3, I'm very happy with my 4.7 compared to the TCR1 that I had.
    Let us know how you get on.

Just so you know, I have found that both the Domane and Madone come up fairly small. I have also had a fitting on both, my Domane was a 52 and I have gone for the 54 Madone, I'm 5 foot 8 with fairly small legs. Obviously your fitting session will help determine the correct size.
  • Thanks guys, I'm 6'3" with a 36" inside leg and have a trial lined up for the 20th on a 60cm. Hopefully it will be big enough!
  • I have the Domane 4.3, difference from my other alum framed Trek is considerable, lighter, responsive, I climb easier due to less weight, just feels good. Find the 105 set is superior to the Tiagra and the the 105 brakes are great stoppers.
  • IceDog77
    IceDog77 Posts: 43
    Hi guys. Just to update you, I picked up my Domane 4.3 on Saturday and yesterday managed a solid 50K ride and I have to say what an awesome machine.

Light, quick and comfortable. The IsoSpeed decopler (working with my Charge Spoon saddle) was a revalation. Pretty much every bump was absorbed and my arse and arms felt good at the end of the ride.

I am happy with my selection. A wonderful machine.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Very nice! I assume you'll have signed up for this http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/rideit ... ugust-2014
  • IceDog77
    IceDog77 Posts: 43
    Indeed I will be along with my fellow Grazing Saddles team members. Should be fun.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013