Domane 2.3 or 4.3

IceDog77
IceDog77 Posts: 43
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking at a new purchase (my first road bike) and am currently looking at the 2014 Trek Domane range specifically the 2.3 and the 4.3 models.

My budget is around the price of the alloy 2.3 (£1200), but I was wondering what with alloy frames actually being rather good these days and the Isospeed knuckle on the Domane's seeming great on the whole range, is the 4.3 really worth the extra £600?

If anyone has experience with Trek bikes and/ or the Domane ranage, and can tell me whether it would be worth me finding an extra £600 to go full carbon, it would be appreciated.

I am going to assume as both bikes have a Shimano 105 set up (which I want), the price different is more or less the carbon frame, but do I need it when the 2.3 could do the job for me.

I am looking for a comfy all day sportive ride but something that is still fairly light, and fast when needed. I will be using it for the odd triathlon also. I live in the north east Hampshire area near the South Downs so my training rides will be fairly hilly. I am 15 stone so will need something sturdy.
Trek Domane 4.3 2014
Whyte 529 2013

Comments

• Can you post some pics so people can see which is the dullest looking?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Couldn't care less about looks tbh. I just need something that will do what I want it to.

2.3 in Red/ White - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWc96HlAAh4
    4.3 in Grey/ Carbon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OWS0S1RAbo
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • Consider 4.0; yes it's Tiagra instead of 105 but it's only £300 more expensive rather than £600 and you get the same carbon frame which is on the 4.3.
  • Yes, I have looked at the 4.0 with Tiagra, but am keen to have a 105 set up, though I am not sure on the exact quality differences between Tiagra and 105s.

I think my question is more about the frame. Do I really need a Carbon frame?
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • IceDog77 wrote:
    Yes, I have looked at the 4.0 with Tiagra, but am keen to have a 105 set up, though I am not sure on the exact quality differences between Tiagra and 105s.

I think my question is more about the frame. Do I really need a Carbon frame?

There isn't a massive difference between 105 and Tiagra. They are both 10 speed Shimano, and the 4.3 has some Tiagra bits anyway. You could upgrade to 105 later if you wanted but it won't make much difference.

On the other hand the frame, IME, makes a big difference in the ride.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No point in going for Tiagra if you've convinced yourself you want 105. You'd forever be coveting other riders' 105 equipment.

What you really need to do is test ride both 105 equipped bikes, making sure the tyres / pressures are the same on each, to see if you can detect a £600 difference.

I have a colleague with the Alu Domane and he says the wobbly seat tube thingy* works pretty well.

(I'm sure Trek came up with some technical sounding term like isospeed decoupler, but it's still a rubber bung to me)
  • Just in general you should get the best frame you can afford, groupsets can be upgraded by by bit. Especially when it's all 10 speed, frames cannot.
  • Thank all.

I guess thats the question. Is a carbon frame 'better' than an alloy frame. A lot of what I have been reading isn't conclusive on the matter especially regarding the trek alloy frames.

I will definitely be trying both in my LBS.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • keef66
    Well my only comparison isn't really a fair one. My alloy bike of 6 years is a Kinesis Racelight Tk. Last year I acquired a carbon CR1-SL frameset and transferred all the kit to it. Feels a lot lighter when picking it up, and that translates to a more lively ride, but the biggest difference is how much better it soaks up vibrations from rough road surfaces.

But that's a comparison between a mid range alloy frame and a top of the range carbon frame. I'd be interested to hear if you can feel the difference between the two Domanes.
  • josehernandez
    josehernandez Posts: 243
    edited January 2014
    IceDog77 wrote:
    Thank all.

I guess thats the question. Is a carbon frame 'better' than an alloy frame. A lot of what I have been reading isn't conclusive on the matter especially regarding the trek alloy frames.

I will definitely be trying both in my LBS.

Carbon is usually smoother and lighter than alloy but not always. Some of the very best alloy frames however are equal to if not better than their entry range carbon equivalents.
  • I transferred from a Trek Madone 2.1 to a Scott CR1 - they were both identical weight frames (confirmed by my LBS) but the difference was like night and day, the carbon being far superior in every way. Of course YMMV.
  • ptlk66
    ptlk66 Posts: 52
    Hi

I use the Domane 4.0 for my winter/commute bike and find it an excellent bike - comfortable, responsive, takes mudguards.

In my opinion you are likely to see a much bigger difference in Carbon v Aluminium Frame than you will between the groupset choice of Tiagra v 105. I find Tiagra perfectly usable and notice no significance differecne to my Campagnolo Veloce and Athena, other than Athena is 11 speed. Also, remember groupset parts will require to be replaced, at that point you can upgrade or remain on the cost effective Tiagra system (circa £260 for entire groupset). When considering my next commuter bike I will be looking at the Domane 5.0 series ex demo or sale stock.

Price wise, I would also hunt around, I know my LBS has the Domane 4.0 in last year's colour (Black/BLue) on offer for £1200.

Regards

Paul
  • Can't really comment on the 4.3. I've got a 2.3 in black,white and green and I love it. So much so that it's not coming back out til March!!
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I have the Domane 2.0, so alu frame and Tiagra. Also ride a giant tcr 1 (carbon with Ultegra).
    I can say that the Trek is comfy and very well suited for long rides. Not sure I would see it as a bike for TT'ing though.
    The isodecoupler thingy majig works very well, also the carbon fork seems to take away a lot of road chatter.

If your main objective is to ride sportives and long weekend rides, the alu frame is very well suited to it. Its fine for hills, not light but its not the heaviest. Think mine is about 9.5kgs if I remember correctly.
    Do I find my carbon giant smoother? Not really, I definately notice the larger pot hole jolts more on the carbon. The Tiagra is only ok though, im not that taken by it. I ride 105 rose bikes quite a lot, I personally find the changing more cleaner with 105.
    Do I find the £500 price difference between my alu Trek and carbon giant worth it? Yeah, just for the Ultegra though and not the frame. The carbon frame feels better, but not 500 quid better.
    The £600 price difference is subjective. If you can afford it and still feed the kids then its worth it. However the aluminium frame is a good frame. Certainly more than good enough for what you described as your goals. Others here have highlighted the Madone, if TT is going to be a regular thing would this not be worth a test ride?
    Not sure of your size, but theres a 2.3 2013 in size 60 here. (I'm 5 8 and ride a 54)
    http://www.trekdemosale.co.uk/2741/
    For that price its a bargain, upgrade the wheels with the money left over...

Hope my ramblings help?!?
  • Thats great w00dster thanks. And to the rest.

My main goal is enjoying long weekend rides and sportives with mates. I will be doing a couple of sprint and O distance triathlons on it this year (maybe a half IM next year), but will be looking to complete rather than compete. I need something to make the training rides for this comfy and enjoyable, and that will also get me round the tri course, which I think the 2.3 Domane would.

I am going to try the 2.3 and 4.3 and then have a look about for some deals.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    Have you considered the Spesh Roubaix,
    I also looked at the Treks, the Madone has the same geometry as the Domane it just doesn't have the Isopeed bit.
    I opted for the Roubaix as it is a comfortable ride and the new stiffer SL4 frame dissipates a lot of flex ( Had a Roubaix before)
    Which ever bike you get, it will struggle to cover both disciplines really well.
    It may pay you to to get the Domane 2.3 and use the extra to pick up a second hand tri bike ?
    Jack of all trades..................Master of none !
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Domane looks a lot better though. Roubaix just looks likexa bulbous hybrid with drop bars.
  • Getting a 4.3 for my girlfriend when the LBS gets it in a month or so. I myself went from alu to carbon and the difference was huge. The carbon soaks up roadbuzz and leaves me fresher at the end of long races. You might not notice very much after one hour, but I can guarantee you will notice after five.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi CyclingDoc,
    I have to admit to being a bit opposite, but it may be for different reasons.
    I ride approx 50 to 60 miles on a Saturday and about 30 on Sunday. I originally did this on my Domane 2.0, now doing it on my TCR Comp 1. After about 3 hours or so on the Trek I'm fine, but the TCR I'm pretty sore and my body feels more tired. Not beat up by any means, just feels tired, especially my upper back and arms.
    I guess this could be my body adapting to the new riding position. Its feels a lot different than the Domane. I've not had the TCR long so hopefully this is the case.
    In terms of the OP position, yeah if the extra money is no problem then the 4.3 is going to be the best bet. But if the money is an issue, then the Alu frame is a good frame.
  • I guess it comes down to money. Both are good bikes, with a little different character. A good fit is more important than alloy vs carbon anyway
  • Which is silly as you can have a good fit on carbon or alu.
  • Thanks all. I am pretty much sure I will future proofing my future needs and going for the 4.3. I will try the 2.3 and the 4 anyway to compare.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • I think you won't see a lot of difference between the 2.3 and 4.3 on a short test ride, but you will very much feel a difference after 100km both in comfort and in shifting.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    105 feels smoother shifting and braking than Tiagra.

Very little differance in ride between carbon and aluminium.

Go for a Madone, it is lighter.
  • Thanks guys.

I want 105 gear and I am leaning towards carbon to future proof myself, especially as am looking to do larger and longer cycling challenge next year including an Ironman Tri.

The Isospeed decoupler is amazing so it will def the Domane over the Madone.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • Get the 4.3 as you want the 105 and, like me, i prefer the 105 over the Tiagra if only for the internal cable routing on the shifters. The Tiagra cables got on my tits!
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Thanks. Yes, the 4.3 is top of the list and I can afford it. Lucky me.

I am just worried about my weight on that Carbon frame. I just have this feeling the 2.3's alloy frame will be sturdier and more assured.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    IceDog77 wrote:
    Thanks. Yes, the 4.3 is top of the list and I can afford it. Lucky me.

I am just worried about my weight on that Carbon frame. I just have this feeling the 2.3's alloy frame will be sturdier and more assured.

I was happily riding a Planet X nanolight frame at near 16 stone. 15 stone won't be a problem for the 4.3. And if you you longer rides you'll probably lose some weight too.
  • keef66
    IceDog77 wrote:
    Thanks. Yes, the 4.3 is top of the list and I can afford it. Lucky me.

have no fear, I suspect the carbon frame will be stronger and last longer than the alloy equivalent.