Acknowledge other cyclists and smile.

13»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    OWO1-750 wrote:
    Just back in after an afternoon ride around the Essex lanes and I would like to ask why the majority of "fellow" cyclists fail to acknowledge that I was even there, I always give a wave, a nod or a greeting only to be ignored by a large percentage of those out doing the same as I am, cycling. Am I on the wrong bike, is it not expensive enough or carrying the wrong name on the down tube, don't think so, wearing the wrong gear, no can't be that either, what is it then that causes me to be ignored by all my "fellow" cyclists.

I think you're assuming, for whatever reason, that cyclists are supposed to wave if you do. If you wave at people while you're walking down the street, do they wave back? Not usually. If you wave at a fellow motorist, while driving down the highway, do they always wave back? Not usually.
    I always(mostly) give either a nod or a flip of the wrist to an oncoming cyclist. More times than not I get zero response. It's no big deal. Don't take it personally.
  • Keep doing what you are doing and ignore anyone who isn't down with it.

A wave / smile / nod whatever is a good thing in my opinion.

Cyclists are a sub culture amongst a notoriously faceless array of road users.

Anything that engenders any form of camaraderie, identify and feeling of belonging can only be viewed as a positive thing.

For those of us that don't want to join in, fair enough. I think it's to your loss but you are allowed your own opinion.

To those that want to do it. Do it and never let anyone grind you down enough so that you stop.
  • dennisn
    Anything that engenders any form of camaraderie, identify and feeling of belonging can only be viewed as a positive thing.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head, in a sort of perverse way. Sometimes I get the impression that some cyclists want to be viewed as loners, rebels, that sort of thing, and waving would mean that they belong to the same "club or band of brothers", if you will, that you do. This just won't do for loners and rebels. They are above you and in their own little world. And I do mean little.
  • dennisn wrote:

I think you may have hit the nail on the head, in a sort of perverse way. Sometimes I get the impression that some cyclists want to be viewed as loners, rebels, that sort of thing, and waving would mean that they belong to the same "club or band of brothers", if you will, that you do. This just won't do for loners and rebels. They are above you and in their own little world. And I do mean little.

I have just joined this forum but have been a long term lurker and have repeatedly seen this topic come up. My overly long and possibly quite boring anecdote will dismiss what the guy above said.

For the record I have been riding seriously for around 4 years now and I haven't been acknowledged or smiled at once - apart from maybe someone pootling along and I have got out of their way.

I got on the train with my bike yesterday to come home. Pretty empty Sunday afternoon train outside of major cities.

Any train travellers will know that there are only 3 bike spaces in a typical carriage. I got on and, as is often the case some idiots had just parked their pram in the bike space taking up 2 of the 3 bike spaces. The third space had a road bike in it and out of my peripheral vision I noticed a guy standing in the carriage but was too intent on moving the illegally placed Silver Cross. (There are big signs saying that the space is only for bikes) If any moron uses it for their luggage or pushchairs I don't ask who's it - It shouldn't be there - that's what the racks above seats are for!

As I was moving the pram I got a tap on the shoulder and the guy, the owner of the bike in the 3rd space asked me where I was getting off. I hadn't taken any notice of this guy, not because I was being rude, but I was concentrating on what I had to do!

He asked me where I was getting off - in about an hour - and said he was getting off in a few stops. He moved his bike out the way and let me put mine in that space. As a result I was kind of obliged to say something and I noticed that he had the same wheels as me so made a comment and we got chatting.

What made it even more bizarre was the fact that this guy was wearing a skateboarding helmet and he was a black African. I can honestly say I have never met or even seen another black road cyclist.

Anyway, we were chatting away about our bikes and then the ticket inspector came. I showed my ticket but unfortunately my new friend had decided to jump the train and had to buy one then.

The only reason I was talking to him was because he had moved his bike and I suppose he thought he had done me a "favour" and I was being polite.

The fact is, he hadn't done me a favour. I was in the process of moving the morons pram. Whilst he was purchasing a ticket I used it as an opportunity to get out of there and not talk to him.

My point is that this guy was committing fraud by jumping the train. The only reason I was talking to him was out of expected social rules and cramped conditions. I couldn't give a toss about him jumping the train - whenever I have not bought a ticket due to time constraints the ticket inspector will turn up. When I have bought a £20 ticket the ticket inspector will be a ghost for the entire return journey. It's pretty gutting!

This guy was a fare dodger - who is to say that the cyclist coming towards me isn't a megapaedo?

In 4 years of more serious cycling no one has ever smiled, waved or greeted me from the other way and I have never done it to other people.

I drive and I walk. I have never smiled or waved at a fellow motorist just because we are both drivers. I have never acknowledged other random pedestrians because more than likely they'd think I was a nutcase.

Why do some people get so precious about this? Just because we are doing the same thing doesn't make us friends or even acquaintances.

I take a dump everyday - like billions of people throughout the world. Maybe I should start asking random people how their deposit went because we both do it!
  • Ringpeace wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I have just joined this forum but have been a long term lurker and have repeatedly seen this topic come up. My overly long and possibly quite boring anecdote will dismiss what the guy above said.

For the record I have been riding seriously for around 4 years now and I haven't been acknowledged or smiled at once - apart from maybe someone pootling along and I have got out of their way.

I got on the train with my bike yesterday to come home. Pretty empty Sunday afternoon train outside of major cities.

Any train travellers will know that there are only 3 bike spaces in a typical carriage. I got on and, as is often the case some idiots had just parked their pram in the bike space taking up 2 of the 3 bike spaces. The third space had a road bike in it and out of my peripheral vision I noticed a guy standing in the carriage but was too intent on moving the illegally placed Silver Cross. (There are big signs saying that the space is only for bikes) If any moron uses it for their luggage or pushchairs I don't ask who's it - It shouldn't be there - that's what the racks above seats are for!

As I was moving the pram I got a tap on the shoulder and the guy, the owner of the bike in the 3rd space asked me where I was getting off. I hadn't taken any notice of this guy, not because I was being rude, but I was concentrating on what I had to do!

He asked me where I was getting off - in about an hour - and said he was getting off in a few stops. He moved his bike out the way and let me put mine in that space. As a result I was kind of obliged to say something and I noticed that he had the same wheels as me so made a comment and we got chatting.

What made it even more bizarre was the fact that this guy was wearing a skateboarding helmet and he was a black African. I can honestly say I have never met or even seen another black road cyclist.

Anyway, we were chatting away about our bikes and then the ticket inspector came. I showed my ticket but unfortunately my new friend had decided to jump the train and had to buy one then.

The only reason I was talking to him was because he had moved his bike and I suppose he thought he had done me a "favour" and I was being polite.

The fact is, he hadn't done me a favour. I was in the process of moving the morons pram. Whilst he was purchasing a ticket I used it as an opportunity to get out of there and not talk to him.

My point is that this guy was committing fraud by jumping the train. The only reason I was talking to him was out of expected social rules and cramped conditions. I couldn't give a toss about him jumping the train - whenever I have not bought a ticket due to time constraints the ticket inspector will turn up. When I have bought a £20 ticket the ticket inspector will be a ghost for the entire return journey. It's pretty gutting!

This guy was a fare dodger - who is to say that the cyclist coming towards me isn't a megapaedo?

In 4 years of more serious cycling no one has ever smiled, waved or greeted me from the other way and I have never done it to other people.

I drive and I walk. I have never smiled or waved at a fellow motorist just because we are both drivers. I have never acknowledged other random pedestrians because more than likely they'd think I was a nutcase.

Why do some people get so precious about this? Just because we are doing the same thing doesn't make us friends or even acquaintances.

I take a dump everyday - like billions of people throughout the world. Maybe I should start asking random people how their deposit went because we both do it!

Is this a real post? It just sounds like random sentences written by different people.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    I wave AND shout "hello" or something similar to every cyclist I encounter when I am riding. When I had a fairly rare car i waved at the occupants of the same model when I encountered them. When I pass pedestrians in my town I make eye contact and say "hello" if it is reciprocated.
    I once had a sh1t out of a tree.
  • dennisn wrote:

Psychological transference does often appear to be the basis for these types of threads. The non-reciprocation of attention upsets some people so they have to belittle strangers if only in their own minds.
  • Ringpeace wrote:

I think you're full of crap. I get waves and nods from other cyclists even if I'm not looking at them.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    For the record I have been riding seriously for around 4 years now and I haven't been acknowledged or smiled at once
    Have you asked yourself why ?
    How about for one month you acknowledge other cyclists, just a smile or nod or say Hi, and see if it is better than your statement above :D
    If not then carry on as you are :?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I've never quite got this. If I'm out for a roll around the lanes and meet someone doing the same thing, why on earth is there an expectation that we should engage? Riding a bike isn't a means of meeting exciting new people or expanding the number of potential friends on my non-existent FB account, so it beats me why it's deemed to be A Bad Thing if one cyclist rides past another without offering a hearty wave, or a cheery greeting of some kind that implies that some kind of transient momentary bond could or should exist between us.

I usually go out on the bike to get some time out, to push myself or just ride for its own sake. The idea of doing it with a view to acknowledging every other grumpy middle-aged social misfit with an attitude (we are all like that aren't we?) on my way round the back lanes of Oxfordshire just doesn't appeal. Wave or nod at me and I'll probably reciprocate, but losing my rhythm or having to back off on a climb just to wave? On yer bike. Literally.

Your need for acceptance doesn't equate to my need to acknowledge people on a bike that may be better, worse or the same as mine.
  • You don't need to do a hearty wave or exchange gifts, just a general nod is sufficient.
  • CiB
    You don't need to do a hearty wave or exchange gifts, just a general nod is sufficient.
    ...which suggests that failure to nod is insufficient, which is where we differ. I won't usually ignore anyone who does nod or wave, and I might occasionally do it myself first. But to build failure to acknowledge up as some kind of class warfare based on quality of kit / bike (as OP did) is nonsense. It's not as if there's enough time to assimilate another bike's attributes at a closing speed of 40+mph anyway - what are we supposed to be doing when we're perceived to ignore you based on what you're riding? A quick mental list - Ultegra, oooh Di2, Garmin but only a 200 tssk, cheap gloves from Go Outdoors not proper gloves, 25C tyres AND slightly under-inflated?

As they say - pffffft. I'll stick to keeping the power and the breathing right, not lifting off every time another bike looms into view so that I can 'acknowledge' the rider.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    CiB wrote:
    You don't need to do a hearty wave or exchange gifts, just a general nod is sufficient.
    ...which suggests that failure to nod is insufficient, which is where we differ. I won't usually ignore anyone who does nod or wave, and I might occasionally do it myself first. But to build failure to acknowledge up as some kind of class warfare based on quality of kit / bike (as OP did) is nonsense. It's not as if there's enough time to assimilate another bike's attributes at a closing speed of 40+mph anyway - what are we supposed to be doing when we're perceived to ignore you based on what you're riding? A quick mental list - Ultegra, oooh Di2, Garmin but only a 200 tssk, cheap gloves from Go Outdoors not proper gloves, 25C tyres AND slightly under-inflated?

As they say - pffffft. I'll stick to keeping the power and the breathing right, not lifting off every time another bike looms into view so that I can 'acknowledge' the rider.
    Absolutely spot on, good point extremely well made.
    If you are offended by not having a wave reciprocated, and then find the need to post about it on an internet forum, you have deeper social issues, or you just need to build a bridge and GET OVER IT!
  • dennisn
    edited February 2014
    dennisn wrote:

Psychological transference does often appear to be the basis for these types of threads. The non-reciprocation of attention upsets some people so they have to belittle strangers if only in their own minds.

"Non-reciprocation" doesn't upset me. I almost always nod or give a quick flip of the wrist. All I'm saying is that "some" people think they are way too cool and tough guy loner types to admit that other people ride bikes too. They want it to be "their" sport and you're not part of it. You're an intrusion into their sport and they are the true riders. Notice that I used the words "some cyclist". I would guess that other cyclists don't acknowledge waves / nods because the want to give the impression(to you) that they are training hard and thereby you will know that any interruption of their concentration would surely be detrimental to their training session. They are trainers, not simply ordinary riders out enjoying a ride.
    Then again maybe people just don't feel comfortable waving / nodding at fellow riders.
  • CiB
    dennisn wrote:
    "Non-reciprocation" doesn't upset me. I almost always nod or give a quick flip of the wrist. All I'm saying is that "some" people think they are way too cool and tough guy loner types to admit that other people ride bikes too. They want it to be "their" sport and you're not part of it. Notice that I used the words "some cyclist". I would guess that other cyclists don't acknowledge waves / nods because the want to give the impression(to you) that they are training hard and thereby you know that any interruption of their concentration would surely be detrimental to their training session.
    How do you know this then? Or have you made it up and spouted it as fact and it must be true as it's on the internet? Unless you stop and ask people why they blanked you, you can't know why. Making up a reason doesn't count. Maybe their cat died earlier that morning - that's a good excuse.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    or like me they are a rubbish rider and to wave or smile puts them in danger of falling off...
  • dennisn
    CiB wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    "Non-reciprocation" doesn't upset me. I almost always nod or give a quick flip of the wrist. All I'm saying is that "some" people think they are way too cool and tough guy loner types to admit that other people ride bikes too. They want it to be "their" sport and you're not part of it. Notice that I used the words "some cyclist". I would guess that other cyclists don't acknowledge waves / nods because the want to give the impression(to you) that they are training hard and thereby you know that any interruption of their concentration would surely be detrimental to their training session.
    How do you know this then? Or have you made it up and spouted it as fact and it must be true as it's on the internet? Unless you stop and ask people why they blanked you, you can't know why. Making up a reason doesn't count. Maybe their cat died earlier that morning - that's a good excuse.

How can you not know this? We all know people who are "too cool" or "loners" and to say that some of them are cyclists is not a stretch. It's not simply making up a reason. It is a reason why this happens. Notice I didn't say it's the only reason, simply "A" reason. Sure their cat or dog could have died, but that's not an excuse it's another reason. To try and find an excuse for not waving / nodding would be saying that it's wrong not to wave / nod and that just isn't the case.
  • Ringpeace wrote:

who is to say that the cyclist coming towards me isn't a megapaedo?

This is gold.
  • dennisn wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    All I'm saying is that "some" people think they are way too cool and tough guy loner types to admit that other people ride bikes too.

How can you not know this? We all know people who are "too cool" or "loners" and to say that some of them are cyclists is not a stretch.
    Bolox. Cobblers. Piffle.

This is just urban myth put about by insecure tw4ts who have absolutely zero idea what's going on in other people's minds, imagine something malicious to replace the complete void between their ears, and then post it on the internet as fact.

There are two facts I know for certain.

1. All the cyclists, without exception, that I've talked to, out on the road, have been friendly, and not at all up themselves.

2. I often don't wave to people, or notice if they've waved to me. And I know that that's because I'm in too much pain from the exertion, avoiding potholes or traffic, or bemoaning the fact that my hands and feet are cold. Certainly it has nothing to do with my being too cool for anything, I own one bike with a Tiagra groupset and stock wheels, and I'm nearly the slowest on the road.

So, how likely is it that everyone else that doesn't wave are w4nkers?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    All I'm saying is that "some" people think they are way too cool and tough guy loner types to admit that other people ride bikes too.

How can you not know this? We all know people who are "too cool" or "loners" and to say that some of them are cyclists is not a stretch.
    Bolox. Cobblers. Piffle.

This is just urban myth put about by insecure tw4ts who have absolutely zero idea what's going on in other people's minds, imagine something malicious to replace the complete void between their ears, and then post it on the internet as fact.

There are two facts I know for certain.

1. All the cyclists, without exception, that I've talked to, out on the road, have been friendly, and not at all up themselves.

2. I often don't wave to people, or notice if they've waved to me. And I know that that's because I'm in too much pain from the exertion, avoiding potholes or traffic, or bemoaning the fact that my hands and feet are cold. Certainly it has nothing to do with my being too cool for anything, I own one bike with a Tiagra groupset and stock wheels, and I'm nearly the slowest on the road.

So, how likely is it that everyone else that doesn't wave are w4nkers?

Now you're talking "FACTS"? So every cyclist you've ever met has been the warm cuddly type? What about me? Do I seem warm and cuddly to you? You make the mistake of thinking that I'm lumping ALL cyclists into a single, bad temperament, group. Much like you're saying that ALL cyclist are "friendly, and not at all up on themselves". I've met cyclists of all kinds. From arrogant *ssholes to great guys and girls to people so shy that they have trouble looking at you.
  • dennisn, it's not primarily about how many cyclists you judge. It only requires you to make a judgement upon a single cyclist without knowing their motives for non-communication for you to be imparting your own values upon the situation and upon them, which without knowing them are most likely to be incorrect.

That you would then take that single judgement to prejudice future similar meetings to apply a label to a number of cyclists who are individuals and may well be wholly disparate is another matter.
  • dennisn wrote:
    Now you're talking "FACTS"? So every cyclist you've ever met has been the warm cuddly type?
    No, friendly. That's just your normal, basic, friendly.
    What about me? Do I seem warm and cuddly to you?
    I think I'd be infringing forum rules if I answered truthfully how you seem to me.
    You make the mistake of thinking that I'm lumping ALL cyclists into a single, bad temperament, group. Much like you're saying that ALL cyclist are "friendly, and not at all up on themselves".
    No, I'm not making either of those mistakes.
    I've met cyclists of all kinds. From arrogant *ssholes to great guys and girls to people so shy that they have trouble looking at you.
    Whatever.

From the moderate sized (and therefore probably statistically significant) sample of cyclists I've met, none was an 4rse. Therefore I conclude that 4rses are in the minority.

And although I frequently wave and smile and all that, I frequently don't, and it's not because I'm too cool for school. Therefore I conclude that there are all kinds of reasons for non-waving that are perfectly innocuous.

Therefore, I make the tentative and admittedly non-rigorous inference that mostly, the reason for non-waving has nothing to do with people being an 4rse.

Moreover, my 50 years of life experience leads me to the conviction that people habitually, and wrongly, attribute all kinds of, usually malign, motives to others, based on absolutely no evidence other than their own imagination and disappointment.

Therefore I see no reason whatsoever to imagine that there is anything different going on here.

I daresay there is the occasionl tw4t of whom your accusations are justified, but I expect that they are very rare.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    If anyone waves at me I always acknowledge with a curt 'Fu<k you!'

Well as least i will know who you are !

Mostly a polite Nod but never wave , waving is obviously too lower class for us cheshire Set :wink:
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1