Acknowledge other cyclists and smile.

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I quite like that around here most cyclists wave or nod. It's great.

Whether it says anything particularly about the health of cycling I'm not too sure. In Amsterdam no cyclists ever nod or wave - there's just too many of them and it's too much of a normal part of life to ride a bike to specifically acknowledge.

If the nodding and waving goes here, perhaps something would be lost, but it could be because something else had been gained too.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    It's already gone in Richmond park-far too many cyclists!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I only nod and wave at a fellow cyclist wearing a helmet and riding a double.

Also if he hasnt shaved his legs, well, I might have to catch him up and have words.

To be honest, where I ride (Bucks, Norfolk and Lincolnshire), most people wave, some even slow down and have a chat as they overtake me. Again a nice friendly bunch here as well.
    I generally wave and say how do, but if I'm hanging out of my backside I may well not be in a position to do so, i'm not being rude, i'm just concentrating on my ride.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    When I'm out training I mean business, I don't have time to wave at other cyclists as I'm too busy concentrating on keeping my power output at 285 watts
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    It all depends on where you live and ride.

Fwiw I literally see 60-100 cyclists each morning on my commute.
  • I must say I have noticed the same in Essex lately out at weekends. I thought it was because I was on my hybrid and didn't look cool enough, done up in pro team colours etc. ;-) And because I like to carry a lot of food and spares in case I probably give off the air of going to do the weekly shop. (My winter bike is also my shopping bike...)
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    dodgy wrote:
    This is the beginner's forum, so I totally understand the OP's point. But, many of us have been cycling long before the recent upsurge in popularity of cycling. To us/them, cycling is not unusual, it doesn't require recognition as being different. Sometimes we wave, just as sometimes we say good morning to a pedestrian while we're walking to the shops, but sometimes we don't.

Get over it, this is how it is :)

Agree with Dodgy. Personally I acknowledge lots of other road users including thanking car drivers who I deem to have been considerate. (I also acknowledge drivers if I think that they have been gits although I use a different hand signal for these). Sometimes it might just be a nod or grimace to indicate that I am sharing the pain. But I don't do it all the time.Clearly anyone involved in a race then I'll ignore. They don't need the distraction.

And yes, I might acknowledge a complete stranger in other settings. Each to their own, but as I inhabit this planet with a lot of other people then I choose to at least be well mannered enough to recognise that they exist. I also go to help other people in help, whatever the setting, whoever they are. Cos I'm a human being.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • pga
    pga Posts: 3
    I have been a cyclist for far longer than I care to remember, from a time when cycling was a way of life and not something picked up now and then. There was a clear difference between the ordinary cyclist and the club cyclist. To be a club cyclist marked one out from the masses. A strong culture of mutual respect developed which was handed down from the older club members to the newcomers. This covered such things as group riding, mechanics, dress and the like, but one of the most important was the need to acknowledge other cyclists on the road and offer help if it looked as though it might be needed. I very much welcome the influx of newcomers but
    as many do not seem to be members of clubs I would strongly recommend they read The Rules - The Way of the Cycling Disciple - by Velominati, the Keepers of the Cog which is an excellent guide to cycling etiquette. Meanwhile, no brown socks please!
  • Can someone explain why anyone gives a sh!t about this? Seriously, if you give a damn, you're way too needy.

Just get on with your riding, and stop projecting your insecurities on to other people.

I'm not saying don't wave, and I'm not saying don't acknowledge a wave. And I'm all for offering help to a fellow cyclist in trouble out on the road. I often do all these things.

It's the getting one's knickers all of a twist if someone dares to not acknowledge a wave. Wear looser pants, why don't you, and chill.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Can someone explain why anyone gives a sh!t about this?

No because to be honest I couldn't care less either :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I usually acknowledge cyclists which I'm passing, with a hearty "good morning/evening", if only to let them know I'm there. Sometimes I'll lift a finger or two for cyclists coming in the other direction.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Garry H wrote:
    I usually acknowledge cyclists which I'm passing, with a hearty "good morning/evening", if only to let them know I'm there. Sometimes I'll lift a finger or two for cyclists coming in the other direction.

Lifting a finger or two eh? I've used those "friendly" gestures once or twice myself :lol:
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Can someone explain why anyone gives a sh!t about this? Seriously, if you give a damn, you're way too needy.

Just get on with your riding, and stop projecting your insecurities on to other people.

I'm not saying don't wave, and I'm not saying don't acknowledge a wave. And I'm all for offering help to a fellow cyclist in trouble out on the road. I often do all these things.

It's the getting one's knickers all of a twist if someone dares to not acknowledge a wave. Wear looser pants, why don't you, and chill.

Hmm. Either deeply ironic statement, or the alternative. No one is forcing anyone to read or respond to this. So best way to show you don't care is to not care.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    buzzwold wrote:
    Can someone explain why anyone gives a sh!t about this? Seriously, if you give a damn, you're way too needy.

Hmm. Either deeply ironic statement, or the alternative. No one is forcing anyone to read or respond to this. So best way to show you don't care is to not care.

Its rather sad that a smile or a 'good morning' are so painful for some people. I always say hello, why would someone not want to be friendly? Strange world full of many puffed up people who can't see how easy it can be to be sociable.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Saw loads of other riders out today, most were happy to give a wave or at least a nod but I noticed a worrying trend of beards. Have a shave you scruffy buggers ;)
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    When i was young it was called "being polite" just a Hello, Hi, G'dday, nod of the head, raised hand, dosn't take much effort :?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • I'll usually have a look if I see another cyclist coming my way, if they do likewise then I'll nod or give a little wave, otherwise I just get on with it. Just like 'normal' people though, cyclists will vary in how sociable they're feeling, and they may just be in their own world, concentrating on their ride.

Honestly, in town at least, I'm less likely to acknowledge other cyclists for a number of reasons. Obviously I'm concentrating on watching traffic and getting where I'm going. I assume other cyclists are doing the same. If they do wave or look and I see them I'll wave back. For many urban cyclists (for want of a better word) their bike is just a means of getting from a to b, cheaper and more convenient than the bus or car and won't see themselves as part of any unofficial club, wave at them and you'll often just get a look that suggests you're not quite right in the head, so I don't bother unless they're displaying an obvious interest in me! On the other hand, those same cyclists, on a day out in the country, are more likely to notice you engaging in the same activity, and feeling a bit proud of their achievement may look for a little acknowledgement that they've made a bit of an effort, which I'm quite happy to give.

I do remember a thread just like this some years ago that went on for quite some time. Once it got under full steam I noticed an increase in other riders waving, so either it was just a happy coincidence, or local 'serious' cyclists were paying attention to the thread and were making an extra effort to not be seen as elitist.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • FJS
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Its rather sad that a smile or a 'good morning' are so painful for some people. I always say hello, why would someone not want to be friendly? Strange world full of many puffed up people who can't see how easy it can be to be sociable.
    Not see many cyclists waving or saying goodbye to each other here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AbPav5E5M A bad thing?
  • rick_chasey
    Depends where you are.

If you're doing laps of Richmond park on a Saturday you'd never have your hand off the handlebars if you were waving to every rider.

On my commute I probably see 60-100 riders over my 11km ride.

It's all about context.

Separately, why do take it personally, if someone you don't know doesn't wave? Fine, you might think they're a bi anti-social or not friendly. And?
  • Bo Duke
    I think it goes back to the point well made above about old fashioned politeness. I always say hello, especially to dollybirds.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • rick_chasey
    So someone isn't polite.

So what?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    So someone isn't polite.

So what?

Yeah so what, rude feckers :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Bo Duke
    You win Rick, a real modern man with modern attitude. Well done.
  • rick_chasey
    Bo Duke wrote:

If by modern you mean try not to get upset when strangers don't wave at me then yes. Very modern.

I wave to people on the club run. Sometimes say hello. Barely even registers if they don't say hello when I have.
  • FJS
    Bo Duke wrote:
    You clearly didnt read Rick's post above or watched the video I posted in a reply to your post. Do you say hello to everyone you see when walking through central London in rush hour (or Manhattan or any such place)? Would you consider not doing so impolite?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    OP, don't let the barstewards wear you down. Keep waving, it makes the world a better place.

Where i ride, I don't encounter all that many cyclists, so i nearly always acknowledge. But i do get the commuting/Richmond Park point of view too.
  • OWO1-750 wrote:
    Just back in after an afternoon ride around the Essex lanes and I would like to ask why the majority of "fellow" cyclists fail to acknowledge that I was even there, I always give a wave, a nod or a greeting only to be ignored by a large percentage of those out doing the same as I am, cycling. Am I on the wrong bike, is it not expensive enough or carrying the wrong name on the down tube, don't think so, wearing the wrong gear, no can't be that either, what is it then that causes me to be ignored by all my "fellow" cyclists.

It's because you touch yourself at night.
  • buzzwold wrote:

I wasn't being at all ironic. I'm genuinely curious as to why people feel so strongly about their waves not being returned that it prompts them to start forum discussions about it.

Read what I wrote again - I wasn't suggesting at all that people shouldn't wave, or return a wave if they want to. As I say, I often do both, since I'm a friendly type myself.

But if you take it personally when your wave isn't returned, or imagine that you know anything at all some aspect of their personality that led them not to wave back, you're too needy in the first case, or completely deluded in the second.
  • Not this drivel again, pretty soon some other weapon will start the "what do you carry in your bag" saga all over again.
  • Raisins is what we need, raisins. Do they help with weight loss?