Rapha Pro Team Mitts are back…

thegreatdivide
thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
…almost.

New Sky kit has just popped up and they’ve got two new mitts on sale now – oh happy days!

Not bothered about the lightweight no pad one (?) but these bad boys look to be the revamped original Pro Teams that they’ve been tweaking:

http://www.rapha.cc/team-sky-classic-mitts/

When they do them in non Sky black and white versions I’ll be on them like a seagull on dropped chips! Not even bothered that the newer version has gone up in price because I’m still getting use out of the ones I bought in early 2011 albeit they're nearing the end of their life.

These mitts are boss!!!

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    :shock: That's a 40% increase in price! Its taking the wee-wee, even for Rapha.

How can they be the same cost as a full winter glove?
  • That is totally like AWESOME.

These are the best mitts ever. The price hike is a disgrace though.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Burst out laughing when I saw that price! Shame, as they do look quite nice.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Hmmmmmmm......... Good mitts are worth their weight in gold. I've been eying up the Giro LX, but might hold out for these in white.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • That is totally like AWESOME.

These are the best mitts ever. The price hike is a disgrace though.

:lol:
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    I asked Rapha about the mitts on their Facebook page. They are planning to release the non-Sky version in early March.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO.

I've been waiting for these to return. My 3 year old white pair are looking a bit off colour so id like another pair. My previous two pairs were bought on offer for £33 but im sure I could stretch to the new price since they're so good.

The woohoo was deliberately OTT by the way, im not that excited.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    :shock: That's a 40% increase in price! Its taking the wee-wee, even for Rapha.

How can they be the same cost as a full winter glove?

A fool and his money........

I wonder how much higher they can keep hiking prices before people stop buying ?
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    £70! Not in my lifetime. Rapha are taking the piss.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Wow!

You think you've been blown away by a Rapha price and that they've hit a ceiling, and then they go and hit you from leftfield again with a new shocker!

If they don't watch out they'll be pushing the UK's inflation index up and interest rates will have to increase.....
  • derosa wrote:
    £70! Not in my lifetime. Rapha are taking the wee-wee.

Rapha usually take the wee-wee
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Think about it - it's a bargain. The next lot will be into three figures!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Crazy bet they cost less than 2 quid to make in china. :roll:
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Much as a I like rapha stuff, 70 quid for mitts is completely mental....
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Crazy bet they cost less than 2 quid to make in china. :roll:

If you work out the costs there is a massive margin in there. No problem with quality goods being made in China but they are just a pair of mitts.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Don't you love it when people talk about costs and of products that they think are too expensive. There's far more to the selling price of products than just the costs.

I'm not denying that they're expensive, but have any of those who moan and ridicule the price actually used these mitts ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Rolf F wrote:
    Think about it - it's a bargain. The next lot will be into three figures!

I had a quick look at the GT version... classic is a monster bargain
  • MattC59 wrote:
    Don't you love it when people talk about costs and of products that they think are too expensive. There's far more to the selling price of products than just the costs.

I'm not denying that they're expensive, but have any of those who moan and ridicule the price actually used these mitts ?

Having had a business that imported from Chinese manufacturers, people wouldn't believe the prices of stuff. This includes shipping and tax etc etc.

There's quality and then there's paying for a name. Its made cheap but stick a name like Rapha on it and boom. There's a price stage where your no longer paying for quality.. Those gloves probably did cost a few quid to make.
  • I've just purchased a pair - I was a bit of apprehensive at first, but for good lightweight summer gloves you can't go wrong really.
  • I've just purchased a pair - I was a bit of apprehensive at first, but for good lightweight summer gloves you can't go wrong really.

At £50!?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I've just purchased a pair - I was a bit of apprehensive at first, but for good lightweight summer gloves you can't go wrong really.

I think you just did...
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    What makes a good mitt then? And can anyone recommend one that is affordable?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Mitts are one of those things you have to try on. I buy plenty of stuff online, but I've only ever bought mitts from a real shop after trying them on.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    I got mine in the first batch and I have to say, they are pretty spectacular! The padding is very robust, yet comfortable and the fit is brilliant. Expensive yes, but then again, I've had the GT mitts previously, and these are cheap in comparison!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • thegreatdivide
    Dodger747 wrote:
    I got mine in the first batch and I have to say, they are pretty spectacular! The padding is very robust, yet comfortable and the fit is brilliant. Expensive yes, but then again, I've had the GT mitts previously, and these are cheap in comparison!

Yip. I ended up buying two pairs with the 20% code from the survey.

NB - The Pro Team Mitts of old are now the 'Classic Mitts' with new knuckle holes

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/classic- ... duct/CLM01

Moan all you like about the price but they're the dogs bollocks.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dodger747 wrote:

Yip. I ended up buying two pairs with the 20% code from the survey.

NB - The Pro Team Mitts of old are now the 'Classic Mitts' with new knuckle holes

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/classic- ... duct/CLM01

Moan all you like about the price but they're the dogs ****.

Thing is, I put my Gore mitts on and instantly forget about them (which is what you want) so I can't understand what is so doggish about the Rapha ones. And as soon as you go on the site you get the full frontal assault of all the images of ludicrous looking people trying to look terribly serious on bikes. Still, they would probably increase sales enormously outside London if there was an option to buy them without the Rapha lettering on them. I like quality kit but I can't get over the Rapha stigma......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what "Military grade padding" is? I know there were various cycling troops in WWI but do these providing extra cushioning against the kick of an AK 47 ?
  • thegreatdivide
    MrT wrote:
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what "Military grade padding" is? I know there were various cycling troops in WWI but do these providing extra cushioning against the kick of an AK 47 ?

They pinched the padding idea from British Army sniper gloves.
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    I've just purchased a pair - I was a bit of apprehensive at first, but for good lightweight summer gloves you can't go wrong really.

Prendas...
  • thegreatdivide

Prendas...

Been there, done it, and by the end of the summer the padding had lost any sort of 'padding'.