2014 Cube Fritzz Pro (27.5") Now collected with pics

AAddict
AAddict Posts: 77
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
I live in the Lake District and do lots of forest riding, I'm looking for a new AM bike and am considering these two. I ride 10-25 mile loops of varied single track, technical and forest fire roads, I regularly do the North Face trail and other similar red routes. I feel I have reached the limits of a my current XC hard tail on the rougher and steeper downward sections and am looking for something that will allow me to 'attack' and enjoy these trails a bit more.

http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/fullsuspension/fritzz/fritzz-160-hpa-pro-275/
564200-fritzz160hpapro27_5blackblue_light.jpg

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBTIELGX5/titus_el_guapo_sram_x5_mountain_bike
CBTIELGX5_P1.jpg

Any thoughts? There are a few of the german direct bikes that I like but part funding with a cycle to work voucher so they are out.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Both are extremely over the top for the riding you describe. Something with 120-140mm suspension would probably be more suitable.
    These bikes will kill you on the climbs.
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    Cube for me, I like shimano over SRAM group set. I have a carbon cube hardtail never had any issues in 2 years apart from a new press fit bottom bracket
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • AAddict
    Both are extremely over the top for the riding you describe. Something with 120-140mm suspension would probably be more suitable.
    These bikes will kill you on the climbs.

Really? The Cube especially (based on the stereo), is known as a good climber and not heavy at 13.8Kg. I enjoy downhill sections, am not adverse to the odd jump and drop off and felt these bikes would work great as a 'do it all' bike?
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I used to live in the lakes and it still the place I do most of my off road riding, even though I live down south now (Preston). My rides sound a bit like yours with the odd pass thrown in (Walna, Garbun)in summer. I've ridden loads of bikes up there and my conclusion is don't go past 140mm - My 5.5 Meta was fine but the Reign I had was far too sluggish. More recently I went back to a hardtail (Whyte 905) and that is probably the best bike I know for that terrain - slack angles give you more confidence but still really light. Load of people I used to ride with like the Orange 5 though.

In fairness, I'm see myself as more an xc / trail rider than AM or anything hardcore. I still stick by the 140mm max observation though - for both hardtail & FS. That said geometry of the frame is probably more important than travel.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • AAddict
    passout wrote:
    I used to live in the lakes and it still the place I do most of my off road riding, even though I live down south now (Preston). My rides sound a bit like yours with the odd pass thrown in (Walna, Garbun)in summer. I've ridden loads of bikes up there and my conclusion is don't go past 140mm - My 5.5 Meta was fine but the Reign I had was far too sluggish. More recently I went back to a hardtail (Whyte 905) and that is probably the best bike I know for that terrain - slack angles give you more confidence but still really light. Load of people I used to ride with like the Orange 5 though.

In fairness, I'm see myself as more an xc / trail rider than AM or anything hardcore. I still stick by the 140mm max observation though - for both hardtail & FS. That said geometry of the frame is probably more important than travel.

Thanks for that input, I appreciate it. I agree that geometry would be more important than travel. I notice the Whyte 905 even has a slightly slacker head angle than the Fritzz, and is only 1.3KG lighter. I'm getting a bit lost now. I want something far removed from the 100mm XC geometry that I've been riding for the last 2 years, I've put slicks on this now and use for commuting and shortish road cycling. So for my MTB I'm craving something a bit more fun, a bit slacker and won't flinch when you slam into a rock garden at speed. But yes, I also need it to climb up the long hills both fire road and technical climbs.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Funnily enough I've turned my old hardtail into a commuter - a Kinesis Versa with 100mm travel. I know what you mean. I am very happy with the Whyte off road though - only 20mm more travel but just feels much more capable on the tricky stuff. On paper the differences don't look great though.

I'm not anti FS - makes sense for the Lakes - go for it if you want to try it.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • AAddict
    passout wrote:
    Funnily enough I've turned my old hardtail into a commuter - a Kinesis Versa with 100mm travel. I know what you mean. I am very happy with the Whyte off road though - only 20mm more travel but just feels much more capable on the tricky stuff. On paper the differences don't look great though.

I'm not anti FS - makes sense for the Lakes - go for it if you want to try it.

I've riden the Fritzz around the carpark and it didn't feel like a wallowy lay-zee-boi or anything, but in the back of mind I worry that that first time I hit that big climb out of Grizedale visitor centre I'm gonna die a death be stuck with a bike that makes me get off and push. Though this review of the top spec Fritzz mentions it climbing well:

http://www.imbikemag.com/issue27/?page=97
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    one of the canyon spectrals would suit your needs better IMO as nothing youre doing sounds too hardcore
  • AAddict
    Cqc wrote:
    one of the canyon spectrals would suit your needs better IMO as nothing youre doing sounds too hardcore

I can't buy from the German mail order companies, £1000 of my budget is a cycle to work voucher.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I really think a 160mm bike is way over the top unless you are doing a lot of uplifted riding, those bikes are designed for tearing down mountains with just the odd short climb. I used to have a Giant Reign X and it was just hard work.
    I now ride a 130/150mm travel Nukeproof Mega TR and there's very few trails where it feels oit of it's depth, the 67 degree head angle keeps it stable while the short travel keeps it light and fast. Its still up to doing 6' drops, road gaps and rock gardens.
    Something of that style might be better suited to days in the lakes.
  • AAddict
    I really think a 160mm bike is way over the top unless you are doing a lot of uplifted riding, those bikes are designed for tearing down mountains with just the odd short climb. I used to have a Giant Reign X and it was just hard work.
    I now ride a 130/150mm travel Nukeproof Mega TR and there's very few trails where it feels oit of it's depth, the 67 degree head angle keeps it stable while the short travel keeps it light and fast. Its still up to doing 6' drops, road gaps and rock gardens.
    Something of that style might be better suited to days in the lakes.

Is the Mega TR that different a bike from the Fritzz? Angles, sizes and weight look pretty much the same, I really wonder if 10mm at one end and 30mm at the other automatically changes the bike drastically when the geometry is very similar.

I'm not being argumentative and really appreciate the input, it's all helping.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Mega TR is lighter, mine is 29lb and could easily drop a couple pounds. It also pedals a lot better than the Fritz.
    I was very unimpressed with my mates Fritz, he obviously wasn't too impressed, he only kept it 6 months.
  • AAddict
    The Mega TR is lighter, mine is 29lb and could easily drop a couple pounds. It also pedals a lot better than the Fritz.
    I was very unimpressed with my mates Fritz, he obviously wasn't too impressed, he only kept it 6 months.

Hmm, this years Fritzz is actually an aluminium version of the carbon Cube Stereo from last year, very different to the Fritzz of old.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Still has very linear rear suspension, like nearly all German bikes.
  • AAddict
    Any more opinions anyone?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The El Guapo is amazing value, but could be too much as noted above. I'd look for something with less travel and a bit more agile. Trance, or even an Anthem.
  • AAddict
    Thanks, the Trance may be worth a look, but the Anthems too XC for what I want.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is worth consideration:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-92 ... ctFeatures

Reasoanbly light, excellent fork, good parts, highly regarded frame.
  • AAddict
    Thanks for the advice guys, Cube Fritzz ordered this morning, should be here by the end of the week :D
  • AAddict wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys, Cube Fritzz ordered this morning, should be here by the end of the week :D
    Good on you who cares if it's too much bike (in fact there's never too much bike just what you are prepared to pedal around) , you'll enjoy it, it'll help you get into more technical downhill stuff and give you confidence to push boundaries.
    :D
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    Nice bike, pretty distinctive colour scheme too, mind cubes always are a bit bright. Nice bike though, if its too heavy you can always updgrade wheels, go tubeless etc but you have a solid frame and fork to flatten those rock gardens with. I live in the lakes too, but gone from Orange 5 to cotic bfe, really need to get used to picking my lines again! whereabouts do you ride?
  • AAddict
    fizik wrote:
    Nice bike, pretty distinctive colour scheme too, mind cubes always are a bit bright. Nice bike though, if its too heavy you can always updgrade wheels, go tubeless etc but you have a solid frame and fork to flatten those rock gardens with. I live in the lakes too, but gone from Orange 5 to cotic bfe, really need to get used to picking my lines again! whereabouts do you ride?

Thanks, When I test rode it was lighter (13.8kg) than my Cube Hardtail (but that was a bottom end bike). In and around Grizedale/Coniston/Satterthwaite etc mainly.
  • AAddict
    petriodet wrote:
    AAddict wrote:
    Good on you who cares if it's too much bike (in fact there's never too much bike just what you are prepared to pedal around) , you'll enjoy it, it'll help you get into more technical downhill stuff and give you confidence to push boundaries.
    :D

Thanks, so looking forward to it. Hoping to get back a little of the confidence I used to have 10-12 years ago on my Stinky.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    AAddict wrote:
    fizik wrote:

Thanks, When I test rode it was lighter (13.8kg) than my Cube Hardtail (but that was a bottom end bike). In and around Grizedale/Coniston/Satterthwaite etc mainly.

Ah right should fly down the fox and the parkamoor descent down to high nibthwaite on this then! good riding out there, me and some shipyard colleagues frequent it fairly often. Get it from wheelbase by chance? saw one in there the other day the same.
  • AAddict
    fizik wrote:
    AAddict wrote:
    fizik wrote:

Ah right should fly down the fox and the parkamoor descent down to high nibthwaite on this then! good riding out there, me and some shipyard colleagues frequent it fairly often. Get it from wheelbase by chance? saw one in there the other day the same.

I've ordered it from Gill Cycles at Ulverston.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yarp i ride a 160mm bike, never had an issue with it not pedaling up well or being sluggish and comes down anything with confidence. Geometry is the biggest thing.

so i think your choice is great ;)
  • Feeling happy after collecting earlier

fritzz1_zps1edd9465.jpg
    fritzz2_zpseacf5460.jpg
  • winrya
    winrya Posts: 32
    Looks lovely.

How does it ride?
  • winrya wrote:
    Looks lovely.

How does it ride?

Fantastic so far, but I'll have to fine tune the suspension.
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    Good looking machine!