What do you take on the Trail?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Excellent, a big d1ck swinging contest between Angus Bieber and Lolcat.

Popcorn anyone?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:

Popcorn anyone?

So you're saying you wouldn't have replied to Cookeh's post? You'd have left all that nonsense just go? Really? You, of all people, would have been straight in.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    Lolcat is Kow(polish my pipe)alski

Cookeh is eminently ignorable.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Apologies for my posts being somewhat out of sync, but I can't keep up with all the drama in this thread.
    Good times.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    edited January 2014
    cooldad wrote:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you on that one after his bizarre performance on the registration thread, but when the nonsense is so direct and polar opposite to the truth it did require a reply.

By the way Kowalski, I've removed the offending post and link due it causing such a stir. Sorry 'bout that, no offence intended.

So... the only thing I take on the trail is water and the occasional banana. I can't see me ever taking my DSLR with me. I fall off too much.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Should I bother Angus? :)

By being firm with your selection process and careful with your presentation you could put together a nice landscape portfolio. Unfortunately though, what you're ups against then is that there are about a zillion competent landscape photographers out there so having a nice portfolio and being able to make money out of it are two different things. I'd also say you take good shots, but not distinguished shots. You should take the skills you obviously have and try to develop a sense of composition that leads to shots that rise above nice and stand out. The other thing is, of course, there's a world of difference between taking some decent shots and and being able to respond to a brief and come up with the goods. There's some pretty good shots in there, though. You should pursue the idea.

Oh, and blown highlights are just another tool in your toolbox. :)

Angus, I can't thank you enough. I really appreciate you taking the time to check my photos out and offer advice, which I will definitely take on board. Thanks again ;)
    CitizenLee, I just noticed your Flickr link, this one of Nico's my favourite:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/citizen_lee/3428621400/

Some other nice shots too - I love the grumpy faced light graffiti drawing. :lol:

Thanks mate ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Lolcat

Brilliant, well done!
  • Angus Young
    edited January 2014
    CitizenLee wrote:

Angus, I can't thank you enough. I really appreciate you taking the time to check my photos out and offer advice, which I will definitely take on board. Thanks again ;)

First thing I'd do if I were you would be to pick a handful of your best landscapes (and be honest and ruthless when selecting) and submit them to a few photo libraries and see how you get on. You've got a fair chance of getting them accepted and it will give you some sort of an idea of where you stand. And if you did get accepted it might earn you some beer money (don't expect to get rich off it, though) and it will also validate/encourage you to maybe take it further. It would be a good first step.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    First thing I'd do if I were you would be to pick a handful of your best landscapes (and be honest and ruthless when selecting) and submit them to a few photo libraries and see how you get on. You've got a fair chance of getting them accepted and it will give you some sort of an idea of where you stand. And if you did get accepted it might earn you some beer money (don't expect to get rich off it, though) and it will also validated/encourage you to maybe take it further. It would be a good first step.

Thanks again Angus, wise words. I think I might make it my summer project. I'll spend some time checking out the various photo libraries, and as you suggest, get ruthless with my current photos! Will also try and focus on a particular theme / direction as that's something I know I lack in general.

There's a few local beach-side cafes that display peoples work (I live within 5 min from the beach, hence why I have a lots of seascapes!) so that might be another route. Breaking even on the printing cost would be enough for me, I would just be cool to see my photos hung up.

Cheers ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Back on topic now?

After my off last year definitely going to get a first aid kit (with a sling) in my pack.
  • njee20
    There's actually a poll about this on the Singletrack homepage at the moment:
    Which of these is currently in your riding pack? (Tick as many)

Waterproof jacket (60%, 333 Votes)
    'Proper' First Aid kit (37%, 204 Votes)
    Emergency blinkie lights (33%, 183 Votes)
    Survival blanket (30%, 167 Votes)
    Spare gloves (28%, 157 Votes)
    Spare warm/dry clothes (24%, 133 Votes)
    None of the above (19%, 108 Votes)
    Proper off-road lights (15%, 81 Votes)
    Group shelter (2%, 13 Votes)

Is it bad that not only do I not have a 'riding pack', even if I did it would still contain none of those!
  • cooldad
    Yep, add another vote to 'None of the above'
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    A group shelter? 2% W T F.

http://rab.uk.com/products/equipment/bi ... bothy.html

Also loving lolcat.

Can I expand - lolcat/w
  • njee20
    The group shelter looks brilliant! I may start taking one of those on jaunts around the Surrey Hills, lest the weather turn bad and I be stuck yards from civilisation!

Only £35 too! I may get one to get my Enve wheeled 650b Santa Cruz dry too!
  • cooldad

Also loving lolcat.

Can I expand - lolcat/w

Whatever
    lol
    Mandatory motorcycle pic

pig-o-cycle.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    cooldad wrote:

Popcorn anyone?

So you're saying you wouldn't have replied to Cookeh's post? You'd have left all that nonsense just go? Really? You, of all people, would have been straight in.

Oh dear, someone took the internet seriously again! I've said it before, I'll say it again, don't be so sensitive.
    Your responses - and people like you, who respond similarly - are literally the only reason I post, outside of offering advice.

Props on succeeding in so many different careers though, genuinely quite impressive.
  • Angus Young
    Cookeh wrote:
    Your responses - and people like you, who respond similarly - are literally the only reason I post, outside of offering advice.

So you're just trolling, then? Thought so.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh wrote:

Of course...? Its the internet man, I've never met you and as result don't care about your opinion of me etc, anyone could pretend to be anything and no-one would give a damn! You hardly need to justify anything! Fact of the matter is it amuses me, please don't take it seriously or think its genuine!
  • Angus Young
    Cookeh wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

Of course...? Its the internet man, I've never met you and as result don't care about your opinion of me etc, anyone could pretend to be anything and no-one would give a damn! You hardly need to justify anything! Fact of the matter is it amuses me, please don't take it seriously or think its genuine!

Dickhead.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Cookeh wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

Dickhead.

Can't argue with that
  • Cookeh
    Dickhead.

:(
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    Lolcat is Kow(polish my pipe)alski

And (un)Cooldad is just a tedious, cantankerous and very unfunny old man. This is his self portrait, taken from his family album:

victor-meldrew-pic-bbc-512475908-252548.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    By the way Kowalski, I've removed the offending post and link due it causing such a stir. Sorry 'bout that, no offence intended.

You didn't cause any offence, I just thought your approach was rather rude (and your post processing rather heavy handed, lol). Why would some internet stranger's opinion of my pictures bother me? Just a bit of healthy debate - surely that's what forums are for (well, that and for idiots like (un)Cooldad to make fools of themselves and give us a laugh)? :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    Lolcat

Brilliant, well done!

Yeah, hilarious originality there. Must've taken hours to steal that one, rather than thinking of something himself... :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    CitizenLee wrote:
    CitizenLee, I just noticed your Flickr link, this one of Nico's my favourite:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/citizen_lee/3428621400/

Some other nice shots too - I love the grumpy faced light graffiti drawing. :lol:

Thanks mate ;)

No worries. SAy hello to Nico for me :) Have a look at Clikpic - I used to have one of their sites, and you can link to Paypal for print sales. Only costs from £35 a year.
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:

Also loving lolcat.

Can I expand - lolcat/w

Whatever
    lol
    Mandatory motorcycle pic

pig-o-cycle.jpg

I think posting pics of yourself riding your wife is probably against forum rules... :lol:
  • cooldad
    Whatever
    lol
    Mandatory motorcycle pic, including lolcat
    Animal-on-motorcycle-06.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    edited January 2014
    Well, that is a cat, but it ain't a motorcycle - you're not very clever, are you? Never mind, your stupidity keeps us amused, and I'm sure you must be proud of your new status as the forum's biggest idiot, since Yeeha's departure... :lol:

And I'm flattered that you've become so obsessed with me that you have to hijack so many threads just to have your pathetic little digs at me - you really need to get out more. :lol:
  • cooldad
    You prefer sheep? A romantic ride with your significant other. But you should really get her a helmet.

lamb.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Is that the best you can do, lol? Have you ever had an original thought? :lol: