Add your numptys

2»

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I got distracted when fitting some forks to an old hardtail

That doesn't sound like the sort of thing that could happen to me.

6192650687_2bba136088_b.jpg
    OH GOD by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Simple, all you need to do to sort that out is drill a big hole in the bottom of the seat tube so you can put the seatpost in where the bottom bracket is :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    arran77 wrote:
    Simple, all you need to do to sort that out is drill a big hole in the bottom of the seat tube so you can put the seatpost in where the bottom bracket is :wink:

Hmm, I reckon the warranty might void
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Car not bike related, but certainly a numpty thing. When a lot younger, I forgot to fasten the bonnet pins in the rally car I owned back then. Tore off down the road for a test drive after doing some work on it, hit 80km/h or there about you guess it, the bonnet is on the wind screen. Stuffed the brackets but thankfully that was it!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    VWsurf- Renthal kevlars.
    Hmm, I reckon the warranty might void

It's an On One, they don't really do warranties, I got 4 different crooked excuses for not warrantying it when it went wrong. Not that I'm bitter
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Northwind wrote:
    It's an On One, they don't really do warranties, I got 4 different crooked excuses for not warrantying it when it went wrong. Not that I'm bitter
    Was one of the excuses, the forks are on wrong?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With that ebay add, I can forgive putting the pedals on the wrong way round much more than the bl**dy awful English!

Mounting bike?
    No capitals anywhere (names, starts of sentences, the little things) except the SLX (so we know the caps button works!)
    ect ???
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    grammar-nazi2.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The Rookie wrote:
    With that ebay add, I can forgive putting the pedals on the wrong way round much more than the bl**dy awful English!

Mounting bike?
    No capitals anywhere (names, starts of sentences, the little things) except the SLX (so we know the caps button works!)
    ect ???

A bit like using "add" instead of "ad"
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The Rookie wrote:

Mounting bike?
    ect ???

A bit like using "add" instead of "ad"

And "ect", rather than "etc"... :lol:
  • Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I got distracted when fitting some forks to an old hardtail

That doesn't sound like the sort of thing that could happen to me.

6192650687_2bba136088_b.jpg
    OH GOD by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

This is what I'm talking about :lol: brilliant

Oh and I'm now slightly worried about the amount of people on this forum that ride very expensive bikes with pedals screwed on in the wrong direction
  • raldat wrote:
    Car not bike related, but certainly a numpty thing. When a lot younger, I forgot to fasten the bonnet pins in the rally car I owned back then. Tore off down the road for a test drive after doing some work on it, hit 80km/h or there about you guess it, the bonnet is on the wind screen. Stuffed the brackets but thankfully that was it!

I did this to an MR2 GTI after charging the battery, nearly put my at the time heavily pregnant misses into labour :shock:
  • Kowalski675
    raldat wrote:

I did this to an MR2 GTI after charging the battery, nearly put my at the time heavily pregnant misses into labour :shock:

That can't be true. No heterosexual man ever owned an MR2... :lol:
  • raldat wrote:

That can't be true. No heterosexual man ever owned an MR2... :lol:

Get this, I'm married (well I will be on 24th of May this year), I'm not a hairdresser and I'm not 48yrs old :lol:

Great little car and man did I look cool with the roof off :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    Great little car

I didn't say it was a bad car, I said it was a gay car - two different things, lol. Plenty of good cars are also very gay cars, but for the record the only non-gay 2 seater roadster is the Honda S2000 (scientifically proven fact, lol). :lol:

and man did I look cool with the roof off :wink:

No, you really, really didn't... :lol::wink:
  • Yeah it was a fairly gay, great car and no, no I didn't look cool with the roof off but I'm pretty certain I looked even less cool with the bonnet stuffed into the windscreen :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    but I'm pretty certain I looked even less cool with the bonnet stuffed into the windscreen :lol:

I reckon you're probably right :lol: Someone I used to know spent a fortune having his RS Turbo painted (and ruining it in the process - it was a mint standard black one with OE alloys and he had it painted black with red metalflake that just looked brown from anything more then 3 feet away, then put a set of awful TSW Venoms on, remember those?), didn't fasten the bonnet catch down properly after the respray and did the same as you - bonnet twatted the roof and made a mess. :lol:
  • Ha ha ha Venoms!!!!! I had a set of those on my Nova SR, constantly rubbed and looked rediculous but I'm almost certain they got me laid a few times :lol:

God I've owend some sh!te cars
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    A few years back an MGB got delivered to work by a recovery truck. The bonnet had clearly gone up at speed. The top of the windscreen was smashed and there was a crease across the bonnet where it had hit the top of the screen frame. The funniest bit was about a foot forward of the crease, on the drivers side, was a nice round dent where the bonnet had smacked him on the top of the head. I bet that gave him a hell of a headache.
  • Kowalski675
    Ha ha ha Venoms!!!!! I had a set of those on my Nova SR, constantly rubbed

I'm not surprised - the offset was nowhere near the ET49 you need on old 4 stud Vauxhalls, they must've been miles off. :lol:
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    If I remember correctly couldn't you buy venoms with different offsets?
  • Kowalski675
    Russyh wrote:

You certainly couldn't buy 'em with anything near an ET49. He must've got through a few tyres... :lol:
  • Russyh wrote:

would explain how I had them on but still
    constantly rubbed
    :lol:

Think they were only 15" and I couldn't drop it unless I completely remodeled the arches which at the time I was devastated about :lol: I got some old photos kicking about somewhere I'll try and dig them out. I also had a digital dash out of an Astra GTE in it which must have added hundreds of pence to the value :wink:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I also had a digital dash out of an Astra GTE in it which must have removed hundreds of pounds off the value :wink:

Fixed that for you
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    stubs wrote:
    I also had a digital dash out of an Astra GTE in it which must have removed hundreds of pounds off the value :wink:

Fixed that for you

Its a Nova. It was never worth hundreds of pounds in the first place! :D
  • Kowalski675
    Think they were only 15" and I couldn't drop it unless I completely remodeled the arches which at the time I was devastated about :lol:

Why did you buy them then, lol? Everyone and his dog knew that it was critical to get an ET49 offset for those old Vauxhalls. My Nova GSI had 16 x 6.5" Irmscher Softstars and never rubbed in the slightest, even with a 60mm drop and four people in, because they were the right offset (Speedline Alesios were the other popular choice for those who wanted 16" wheels that actually fitted) :wink: No tacky mods, just standard bodywork, the tasteful wheels and 148bhp (measured on a dyno) under the bonnet - real wolf in sheep's clothing that was, it gave a lot of people a bit of a surprise.
    It looked just like this one, but in metallic grey:

pic0065td4.jpg
  • Both of you are completely wrong!!!! That digital dash really complemented the sleek lines and quality finish you only get with Vauxhalls AND I did infact sell that particular car for some money so :P
  • Why did you buy them then?
    £60 with 4 new tyres from a mate that just stacked his motor, seemed a great deal at the time :lol:

And to be fair if I had the GSI then I'm pretty sure I would have spent the time and effort to get that choice right, that one in the pic is flipping mint.

Is it ok to admit that I now kinda miss that car?
  • Kowalski675
    And to be fair if I had the GSI then I'm pretty sure I would have spent the time and effort to get that choice right, that one in the pic is flipping mint.

Mine looked exactly the same, apart from being metallic grey and having OE door mirrors, immaculate inside and out. It did look great - those boxy lines were very aggressive looking. With 148bhp and weighing about as much as a shopping trolley (due to being built from tin foil, plastic and old crisp packets) it went like f**k too. First question most people asked after coming up against it (or just hearing it - it sounded beautiful) was whether it was a 2 litre 16v transplant (it wasn't - it was the OE 1.6 8 valve motor with Schrick fast road cams, gas flowed head, Superchip, K&N induction kit, full stainless Magnex system with decat pipe etc). Not exactly sophisticated though - it handled like the aforementioned shopping trolley in the wet, with a nasty lift off oversteer habit, and torque steered like a b*****d - floor it in second coming off a damp roundabout and you needed both sides of the road to keep it between the kerbs, lol, and it could light up the front tyres all the way to the rev limiter in 3rd gear. It had Cavalier GSI calipers and bigger Black Diamond discs to slow it down too - standard brakes would've been a liability.

The cams were so lumpy that it didn't like sitting at 30mph either, hunting constantly unless you dropped down to 3rd, but from 4k rpm it snarled like a wounded bear and pulled like a train (and 4k coincided with 80mph, so in top gear the rate it ripped round from 80 to 100 was really rather impressive). When you were in the mood for driving like a tit it was a proper giggle, when you just wanted to potter around it was a complete pain in the ass. The standard F14 gearbox wasn't up to the 50% power increase over standard either, and blew 2nd gear to bits on one heavy footed exit from a petrol station, lol. Luckily it was so torquey it could pull from 1st to 3rd no problem.