Add your numptys

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited January 2014 in The Crudcatcher
So we've all seen or read about someone doing something daft, something you sit back and think "how, just how have you made it this far in life"?

This (read the description) although isn't the stupidest thing I've ever seen got me thinking it would be good to have them all in one place for us to point and laugh at.

If this has already been done please remove and point me in the right direction thanks

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    So what is the problem? Advancing science and creating beauty by pushing the boundary is the neotony of the intellect. Did not notice many nobel prizes against your name.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • I've done that before on a set of XTs. Just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Grabbed the first pedal to hand and before I knew it, I'd farked the threads.

Shlt happens.
  • FishFish wrote:
    So what is the problem?

No problem, possibly unlike yourself, I just fancied seeing other peoples amuzing videos or hearing some funny stories
    FishFish wrote:
    Advancing science and creating beauty by pushing the boundary is the neotony of the intellect.

Absolutely and without the great and imaginative minds of this world where would we be?
    FishFish wrote:
    Did not notice many nobel prizes against your name.

Of course you didn't, that's because I'm a fucking builder, not sure any of my work would qualify for any of the given prizes in the peace, science or cultral advances would you? But please don't let that stop you from waving yours around as I asume you must have at least one for you to make this comment
  • I've done that before on a set of XTs. Just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Grabbed the first pedal to hand and before I knew it, I'd farked the threads.

Shlt happens.

Were they brand new? If so "ouch". Like I said by far not the stupidest thing I've seen but just thought it would get the ball rolling.

I remember looking down to see if my rear tyre needed pumping up and looking at it for so long I rode into the front of my neighbour's parked car :lol: granted I was only about 13 but still felt a twat
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Spent half an hour trying to get a square taper crank off without removing the crank bolt first.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Getting married :)

Shlt happens.
    I did this too, but I'd driven out to the Peaks (with some off here I think), changed pedals when I got there. Set off, got to the top of the first hill and 'dink' pedal fell off. Going back to the car with one pedal was surprisingly difficult!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Me. Years ago when I first went clipless I was going out for a drink and thought I'd take the bike, being a sensible type of chap I thought I'd put flats back on to avoid a drunk clipless moment. I didn't tighten the pedals too much as I thought having opposite threads they would not come undone. Riding over some cobbles a pedal fell off, taking that last couple of threads with it. This is on the way to the pub. Couldn't get the pedal back on, so I decided I'd just walk the bike back when the time came. Several pints later I'm heading home, walking an almost perfectly serviceable bike soon got boring, so I started riding with one pedal. Just over halfway home gravity got the better of me.
    I managed to avoid showing the EPO I was in pain by not seeing much of her the following day. By Monday it was pretty clear I'd cracked a rib. For some reason she still laughs at me for that one.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    When I got my XTR cranks, I somehow got distracted halfway through fitting the pedals (probably as a result of being frustrated at the retarded crank fitting system). Got them in the right sides but only threaded one in part way, rode off for a test ride, after about 3 pedalstrokes the left hand pedal fell off and I rode through my hedge. Ripped half the thread out- luckily the remaining thread works fine :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but in the words of Nelson regarding the pedals - HAHA . I'd say it was an easy mistake to make if you didnt know anything about bikes - but when you're buying own pedals to install, let alone higher end XT/SLX etc pedals and going out on days out you should know how to fit a farkin pedal!!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I got distracted (probably by the small people that live in my house) when fitting some forks to an old hardtail, Didnt use the said HT after and then a friend needed a bike to use. lent him the HT, off out we went, on the first DH section he found he couldnt steer, OTB he went, a coller bone later we find out the bottom bearing wasnt fitted to the headset :oops:

Could of been worse, could of been me.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pesky_jones
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I got distracted probably by the small people that live in my house)

I believe the correct term is "little" people, and what were they doing in your house?
  • veronese68
    I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but in the words of Nelson regarding the pedals - HAHA . I'd say it was an easy mistake to make if you didnt know anything about bikes - but when you're buying own pedals to install, let alone higher end XT/SLX etc pedals and going out on days out you should know how to fit a farkin pedal!!
    Admiral Nelson said that? You are quite right. In mitigation I thought that as with centre lock wheels on cars they use opposite threads to prevent them from undoing so there is no need to do them up too tight. It would seem this is not the case, or at least not as much.
  • I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but in the words of Nelson regarding the pedals - HAHA . I'd say it was an easy mistake to make if you didnt know anything about bikes - but when you're buying own pedals to install, let alone higher end XT/SLX etc pedals and going out on days out you should know how to fit a farkin pedal!!
    Considering I've built bikes from scratch, I'm very aware on how to do it. Just fitting a pedal in a parking lot, when it's raining and I want it done quickly, I wasn't concentrating on whether it was going in at an angle. Still, live and learn. I don't use clipless anymore, they're for the gheys.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • pesky_jones
    Considering I've built bikes from scratch, I'm very aware on how to do it.

Evidently not! :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum wrote:

I believe the correct term is "little" people, and what were they doing in your house?
    Well these little people take a lot of liberties eating my food etc! Apparently I can't evict them for about 12-15 years?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • veronese68
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Well these little people take a lot of liberties eating my food etc! Apparently I can't evict them for about 12-15 years?
    Can they be evicted when they are not so little? I can't afford to keep feeding my son and he's bigger than me so surely should be allowed to fend for himself. Although I'm not sure if he's any better than me at fitting pedals.
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Although I'm not sure if he's any better than me at fitting pedals.

Probably not as good as Pesky :wink:
  • pesky_jones
    Proutster wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Although I'm not sure if he's any better than me at fitting pedals.

Probably not as good as Pesky :wink:

:lol: Ok ok it is a very easy mistake to make and shouldn't be classified as a numpty mistake
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Always start screws/nuts/bolts by hand where possible.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    I forgot to tighten my stem last night after fitting a new one. Cue me blasting it down a main road, negotiating a corner to realise that while my bars were moving my tire was still point straight on... Narrowly avoided traffic and a park car and some how limped home (less than a mile and pretty much straight up hill) with my bars at 90' to my wheel to address the issue and duly tighten the bolts!

Scotch, late nights and DIY do not mix.
  • I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but in the words of Nelson regarding the pedals - HAHA . I'd say it was an easy mistake to make if you didnt know anything about bikes - but when you're buying own pedals to install, let alone higher end XT/SLX etc pedals and going out on days out you should know how to fit a farkin pedal!!

I agree. But what you seem to be missing is that none of these cases are of people not knowing how to fit a pedal. nothing mentioned so far has been anything more than a momentary lapse in concentration. As it happens, I'd had my pedals off and had just finished servicing them (which actually made it worse lol).
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I got distracted when fitting some forks to an old hardtail

That doesn't sound like the sort of thing that could happen to me.

6192650687_2bba136088_b.jpg
    OH GOD by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Always start screws/nuts/bolts by hand where possible.

Anyone who can try fitting a righthand pedal to a lefthand crank (or vice versa), then continue to try tightening it -despite the fact that it obviously isn't right - to the extent that they knacker the threads really does need all their tools taking away... :roll:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

fantastic!
  • VWsurfbum
    matthew h wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

fantastic!
    This is possibly the best thing i've seen ever!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

fantastic!

That must have been one hell of a distraction.... I think we need to know
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    pilch wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

fantastic!

That must have been one hell of a distraction.... I think we need to know

The pedals look OK to me?
    Seats too high
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • VWsurfbum
    and are they mushroom grips?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty