favorite DH rider of all time?

2»

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I don't really find racing that interesting, so I just chose my favourite characters :)

Can't believe I'm the only one to mention Palmer though!

I think you just summed that up there. He was awesome for the time. But tbh, I doubt he'd go that well now. But true, he is a legend for how he helped change the direction of the sport
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    There are plenty that we could all put on the list, I could have put Barel, Peat, Hill, Palmer etc. as I am of a certain vintage and have seen DH develop but I'm afraid the one that stands out, as I've said above, for sheer outstanding bravado, panache and flamboyance as well as being a stunningly fast rider it's CG.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Jason Mcroy
    Steve Peat
    John Tomac

In that order
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    ej2320 wrote:

Also Remy Metailler deserves a mention
    Watch his Whistler edit.. Seriously so much style

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Whistler-R ... -2013.html

looks incredibly fast and smooth but also very polished, I wonder how good he would be on a track he didn't ride every day of his life....that's the test of a true great..no?

and how the feck did I forget Jason McRoy off my list :?
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • steve peat
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Danny Hart had one really amazing race and a couple very good races but seems to be struggling to get up to speed. Some of it might be the slightly old Glory (unchanged since 2010) isn't up to the job.
    Danny boy is my favourite, only for that 'How does he sit down with bollox that big' run in Champery and because he's from my home town.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    J L wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Also Remy Metailler deserves a mention
    Watch his Whistler edit.. Seriously so much style

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Whistler-R ... -2013.html

looks incredibly fast and smooth but also very polished, I wonder how good he would be on a track he didn't ride every day of his life....that's the test of a true great..no?

and how the feck did I forget Jason McRoy off my list :?

Remy came 5th in the Taxco urban DH race, that must mean something right?

But yeah, as with any edit, I'm pretty sure that wasn't his first run..
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Also I love how insane Brendog is, even if he doesn't win much he's insane to watch
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ej2320 wrote:
    Also I love how insane Brendog is, even if he doesn't win much he's insane to watch

Good freerider but not good enough to even win national level races. I think he keeps his ride because sponsors like him.
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    Manon Carpenter for all the wrong reasons. 8)
    Guinness for strength
  • Don't really follow the new generation. Back when I was a kid it was all about peaty, Nico, Shaun Palmer, Jason McRoy, rob warner and John tomac. For me it has to be Shaun Palmer, he transformed DH in to what it is now, with the help of intense, hydro brakes, big forks, loads of rear travel. No Lycra, only mx gear adapted for a push bike.
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    Mint Sauce...There can be only one...
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    Steve Peat for me, the guys nearly 40 and can still mix it up with the best.

Plus hes from Sheffield and was a massive pis tank back in the day.
  • Not one mention of minaar?

Anyway, current favourites: smith - bruni - bryceland
    Old skool favourites: peaty - hill - rennie
    Girls: ragot - carpenter - hannah