Anything better than the YT 650B Pro for £2500?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Currently riding a 2011 Boardman FS Pro, but looking to go for something with a little more travel, I had been looking at the Canyon Spectral AL and the Rose Granite Chief, but then the YT 650B Pro caught my eye - http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bi ... d-650B-Pro

It seems to have about everything I'm looking for in a bike, 1x11, dropper post, 150mm+ travel, etc, etc, any other options for around the £2.5k mark worth looking at, it could be nice to actually try the bike out before buying it, lol?! :wink:

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Been looking at that one myself. The reviews for the 26" are great so, hopefully, this is more of the same. Be interested to see what more experienced riders think.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I would be surprised if I saw that spec on a sub £4000 bike, not to mention £2500. The BOS suspension is one of the best (and most expensive) out there
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    In a word no.

I've had a few problems with some components on my wicked 160ltd and YT have been very good to deal with. Mine is fantastic so I can't see the new version being any different.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Angus Young
    dusk wrote:
    In a word no.

I've had a few problems with some components on my wicked 160ltd and YT have been very good to deal with. Mine is fantastic so I can't see the new version being any different.

What were the issues and what was the process for getting them sorted?
  • dusk
    All component related, broke a RaceFace turbine stem, faulty reverb and faulty forks. You just have to send them back to YT and they'll replace or repair as necessary. Obviously you'll be without a component for a while but I didn't have to wait too long and I figure it's a small price to pay for such a bargain.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The wicked 650b @ £1700 delivered looked the hot ticket. I guess they were never able to get enough Pike RCT 3 forks ?
  • wow thats looking good.

wonder how it compared (riding wise) to the canyon spectral 9?
  • broona
    Thanks for the replies, now I just need to run the idea past the Mrs...
  • Angus Young
    "Darling..."
    "Yes, my sweet pea?"
    "I need to spend two and a half thousand pounds on a bicycle..."
    "...............?"

Good luck.
  • dusk
    I figured by buying such a top spec bike I'd save a lot in upgrades in the long term over the bike I had (Trek ex8), I'd say it has worked. I think I've only spent a few hundred extra so far....
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    broona wrote:
    Its easier to ask forgiveness then to ask permission!

My YT Wicked 150 was awesome bargain, only reason i sold it was i get on better with 29ers
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    This would get my consideration... http://www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/Sl ... 26045_.htm
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    that looks nice
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    "Darling..."
    "Yes, my sweet pea?"
    "I need to spend two and a half thousand pounds on a bicycle..."
    "...............?"

Good luck.

:lol:
  • broona
    benpinnick wrote:

Funnily enough, I was looking at that this morning! :D
  • broona
    So, another spanner in the works as I haven't ordered a new bike yet, how does the new YT Capra compare to the other bikes on my shortlist - http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bi ... -CF-Comp-1

In case anyone's wondering why the Comp-1 and not the 2 or the Pro, I showed my 6 year old son all 3 of them and he liked the colour of the 1 best, lol! ;)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The spec is staggering for the money, nothing else on the market gets close to it and initial reports says it rides incredibly well. I must admit I'd be very tempted by the BOS equipped one, it looks the dogs!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    going by the latest pinkbike review of a bike with BOS suspension it falls apart and has extremely poor customer service.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    POAH wrote:
    going by the latest pinkbike review of a bike with BOS suspension it falls apart and has extremely poor customer service.

That's in the US though... In the UK J-tech can service the fork and shock and Surf Sales are a good distributor, I would Imagine you wouldn't have too many problems over here tbh.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The BOS suspension would put me off. It's grear while it works but its difficult to get spares or get them serviced. They seem to change distributor every couple of weeks.
    The Wicked is ok. I know a few lads who bought them. Only one still has the YT frame though.
  • broona
    I've ridden my mate's Pike equipped Granite Chief, and that feels fantastic, so I'd be more than happy with Rockshox, even if the Bos is supposed to be better.
  • scarthie99
    scarthie99 Posts: 209
    CANNONDALE TRIGGER CARBON 1 OUR PRICE £5500.00
    NOW £2749.99
    CANNONDALE TRIGGER 29ER 1
    OUR PRICE £3600.00
    NOW £2499.99
    GIANT TRANCE X 29ER 0 OUR PRICE £3500.00
    NOW £2199.99
    have a look at this website http://www.paulscycles.co.uk
    i got SCOTT SCALE PREMIUM off paul cycles it right bike for price :D
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:

What review is that? Do you have a link?
  • broona
    I assume he means this one, under Component Report 'Bad - Out in the real world, BOS products seem to be a little fragile and in our time with the bike, we lost a compression adjuster on the fork and snapped the platform lever off the shock. We also hear reports that their service is still not consistent, which can be problematic because you cannot service it yourself. That said, if we're honest, we'd roll the dice and stick with BOS every time, as the performance is so damned good.' - http://www.pinkbike.com/news/orbea-rall ... -2014.html
  • Angus Young
    Thanks.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    scarthie99 wrote:
    CANNONDALE TRIGGER CARBON 1 OUR PRICE £5500.00
    NOW £2749.99
    CANNONDALE TRIGGER 29ER 1
    OUR PRICE £3600.00
    NOW £2499.99
    GIANT TRANCE X 29ER 0 OUR PRICE £3500.00
    NOW £2199.99
    have a look at this website http://www.paulscycles.co.uk
    i got SCOTT SCALE PREMIUM off paul cycles it right bike for price :D

The YT is STILL better value than anything above (well ok its not as good value as that Trigger carbon but then thats a very different bike from a YT, and the YT is probably still a more desirable set up).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dusk
    broona wrote:
    I assume he means this one, under Component Report 'Bad - Out in the real world, BOS products seem to be a little fragile and in our time with the bike, we lost a compression adjuster on the fork and snapped the platform lever off the shock. We also hear reports that their service is still not consistent, which can be problematic because you cannot service it yourself. That said, if we're honest, we'd roll the dice and stick with BOS every time, as the performance is so damned good.' - http://www.pinkbike.com/news/orbea-rall ... -2014.html
    Other reviews I've seen have called they bombproof, mine certainly aren't fragile in any way
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    broona wrote:
    Its easier to ask forgiveness then to ask permission!

Ha ha I using that one next time!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • scarthie99
    scarthie99 Posts: 209
    i would have look at paul cycles the bikes i put on look a lot better then yt pro bike and better spec.save up extre 250 get CANNONDALE TRIGGER CARBON 1 OUR PRICE £5500.00
    NOW £2749.99 lot better bike the yt bike or look 29er bike.have look at http://www.canyon.com/_en/ or http://www.rosebikes.co.uk
    :lol:
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    Wheel base were doing a trade in event where you could trade in anybike, I looked at trading a old scrap heap mtb against a nukeproof mega pro and it knocked 650mquid off. This brought it right into the price range you describe.
    it comes with pike forks and a 1x10 sram not 1 x11