1x9 for XC Racing

2»

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Are there any functional differences between the seat tube mounted guide, and the bb mounted one? The seat tube one is twice the price!

e.13-xcx-zoom.jpg

52199.jpg
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Greer_ wrote:
    Are there any functional differences between the seat tube mounted guide, and the bb mounted one? The seat tube one is twice the price!
    I'm guessing part (if not all) of the price difference is down to the relative ease of manufacturing the e-type versus the clamp. Effectively the former can be carved out of a sheet of metal, whereas the clamped version would have to be forged and then machined, plus it has a hinge and clamp bolt, so has three times the moving parts :roll:

Then of course they just apply the usual x10 factor to the cost of manufacture that all bike bits seem to attract ;)
  • Greer_
    jimothy78 wrote:
    I'm guessing part (if not all) of the price difference is down to the relative ease of manufacturing the e-type versus the clamp. Effectively the former can be carved out of a sheet of metal, whereas the clamped version would have to be forged and then machined, plus it has a hinge and clamp bolt, so has three times the moving parts :roll:

Then of course they just apply the usual x10 factor to the cost of manufacture that all bike bits seem to attract ;)

Thanks for the snobbery! Believe it or not, I accept that bike bits are expensive. As njee/rockmonkey above seem to have been talking about the st model, I wanted to know how it compared to the bb mounted one, which yes, is cheaper - but I wasn't complaining about the price! Cheers for answering a question I didn't ask though!
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Greer_ wrote:
    Thanks for the snobbery!

Sorry, obviously go the tone wrong there. :oops: Was supposed to come across as inverse snobbery, aimed at the manufacturers, not you.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

I know some people have found with the MRP/E13 ones that the back plate can flex and you can get the chain caught, not as much of a problem on the more expensive guides, but the seat tube one is absolutely solid.

In my case it had to be a seat tube mounted one, and the bike had a press-fit BB.
  • Greer_
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:
    Thanks for the snobbery!

Sorry, obviously go the tone wrong there. :oops: Was supposed to come across as inverse snobbery, aimed at the manufacturers, not you.

Apologies haha - too used to it on here! :lol: it was the faces! :wink:
    njee20 wrote:
    I know some people have found with the MRP/E13 ones that the back plate can flex and you can get the chain caught, not as much of a problem on the more expensive guides, but the seat tube one is absolutely solid.

In my case it had to be a seat tube mounted one, and the bike had a press-fit BB.

Ahhh okay! Thanks!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    If you can fit the BB one (so basically if you don't have a press fit BB or a 73mm threaded BB shell and GXP cranks) then get the BB one, no point getting the seat tube one if you don't have too. In an ideal world, you'd get the ISCG version which costs about the same BB one but you don't have to remove or loose the BB to adjust it, but I'm guessing if you're XC racing your bike won't have ISCG mounts!!
  • Greer_
    Haha you're right, using a hollowtech chain set. If the chain guide was low mount, it wouldn't fit my frame because of the way it curves when joining the downtube, but the high mount guide will fit no problem! (worked that out when I first bought the wrong type of front mech!) BB mounted is a lot easier though + cheaper!