Paris Nice 2014

2»

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    still *sulking*

I wanted me a finish on Col d'Eze. Was even planning a weekend trip for it.

15k from top of col d'Eze to the finish..................
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:
    Personally I approve of the route. I've argued in the past that Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico need to be more distinct in nature with one catering to the GC riders and one to the classics riders. It makes no sense having two very similar races at basically the same time.
    There is some sense in that argument. Interestingly, it used to be the other way round; Paris-Nice for the GC riders with some decent mountains and a hilly TT, the Tirreno for the classics riders and puncheurs with mostly short hills, flat stages and some hill-top finishes.

Only that second stage looks a potential one for echelons I think

At least the battle for the overall win is should be wide open. And winning Paris-Nice is still prestigious. There isn't a single really selective stage. even the more challenging ones should end in small bunch sprints. Sagan for the overall?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    FJS wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Personally I approve of the route. I've argued in the past that Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico need to be more distinct in nature with one catering to the GC riders and one to the classics riders. It makes no sense having two very similar races at basically the same time.
    There is some sense in that argument. Interestingly, it used to be the other way round; Paris-Nice for the GC riders with some decent mountains and a hilly TT, the Tirreno for the classics riders and puncheurs with mostly short hills, flat stages and some hill-top finishes.

Only that second stage looks a potential one for echelons I think

At least the battle for the overall win is should be wide open. And winning Paris-Nice is still prestigious. There isn't a single really selective stage. even the more challenging ones should end in small bunch sprints. Sagan for the overall?

I dont know. One of the arguments for P-N and T-A being both aimed at GC riders is that you get different GC riders at each race. There is some fun to be had in working out how their performances stand up against each other. Ditto the Dauphine and TdS.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Paulie W wrote:
    I dont know. One of the arguments for P-N and T-A being both aimed at GC riders is that you get different GC riders at each race. There is some fun to be had in working out how their performances stand up against each other. Ditto the Dauphine and TdS.
    But what's the point of that? Just get them to race against each other. That's more fun, surely.
    One of cycling's biggest problems is that the calendar is so unfocused that the top names don't often race each other.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    But what's the point of that? Just get them to race against each other. That's more fun, surely.
    One of cycling's biggest problems is that the calendar is so unfocused that the top names don't often race each other.

The first few months of this season are already fixed for the top guys race programmes. The word was already out way before today's announcement that this year's race wouldnt include a TT, for example, and most likely that there'd be no summit finishes either. All the GC guys who are already down to ride P-N arent suddenly going to pile over to T-A instead. For instance Porte's lining up at P-N and he knew that there wasnt going to be a TT, when interviewed at TDU.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    The first few months of this season are already fixed for the top guys race programmes. The word was already out way before today's announcement that this year's race wouldnt include a TT, for example, and most likely that there'd be no summit finishes either. All the GC guys who are already down to ride P-N arent suddenly going to pile over to T-A instead. For example Porte's lining up at P-N and he knew that there wasnt going to be a TT, when interviewed at TDU.
    What I'm talking about is making the two races very different to each other in nature every year, so that the GC riders will all be attracted to the same one and the classic types will be attracted to the same one and the sprinters will be attracted to the same one. I don't want to see Nibali, Cancellara and Cavendish in one race and Froome, Sagan and Kittel in the other. I want Nibali v Froome, Cancellara v Sagan and Kittel v Cavendish.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I'm afraid I fall into the cautiously optimistic category too.
    Haven't seen all the profiles, yet, but hopefully there will be just enough testing parcour
    to spark plenty of action (more than in recent editions) in the race's second half stages.
    As usual, much will depend upon wind to do that job for the first half.

Rich has mentioned the need for these races to have a separate identity on several occasions.
    I'm not sure he thought that Paris-Nice would turn into his dream Tirreno-Adriatico though! :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Possibly the best area on the way from Paris to Nice is the Massive Central, nice and hilly but unlikely to be affected by snow in early spring (without going up the biggest climbs) and yet that's the bit they bypass with a transfer :?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    still *sulking*

I wanted me a finish on Col d'Eze. Was even planning a weekend trip for it.

Like you RR i wanted the traditional finish on the Col d Eze...I watched Sean Kelly's last win there in 88 to make it 7 in a row..he would have kicked Contador's ar*e as well then (sorry frenchie) 8) .
  • @velochrone is tweeting that J-C Peraud's switching from P-N to T-A, because of P-N's parcours

EDIT: Rich has bribed him, to back up his theory on why changing P-N's parcours is a Good Thing :wink: