2014 Lapierre Spicy 327?

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Currently looking for a new bike and really like the look of this:

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ory_id=178

Decent spec for the money? Not sure on the fork/shock as always had RS in the past.

Or do I go for my original choice of the 2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m17b0 ... _Comp_2013

Cheers.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    If you go for the Nuke you'll get it cheaper here...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuke ... -prod87479
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Prefer the 327 personally (Much better ride for me) But spending that much, test rides always advisable before splashing the cash.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The nukeproof has a much better spec for less money and in my opinion is an excellent ride.
    The fork on the lappierre isn't very good.
  • Myster101
    Thanks for the replies people :wink:

Can demo the Spicy as my LBS has one in stock (although it's the large not the XL that I need). But not sure if I'll be able to find the Mega locally.

Can't buy the Mega from CRC as they haven't my size :|

Going round in circles here, is the fork on the Spicy that bad? Any other suggestions for the same price?

Thanks again.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • rockmonkeysc
    When I bought my Scalp I contact Hotlines and they got a medium and large bike delivered to my local shop the following morning. They might get you a Mega if you contact them.
  • Myster101
    Thanks mate, might give that a try.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Myster101
    Just to make it even harder I've just found this. Currently riding a Scott Genius MC30 (2008) and love the remote lock out for the rear shock....seems to have a good spec as well.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... s6J9XwgGK0

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    That scott genius looks like a really good build and its carbon so should climb well. The ctd fox forks don't get great feedback from the people ive spoken to.
  • Jomox
    Myster101 wrote:

is the fork on the Spicy that bad? .

It's not at all no. Just some people don't like the way it works and people will try convince you to go rock shox. However others love it. If you can test it like you say you can, I'd do that, as to be honest, the simple matter is you could love the fork.

My experience has always been, try and make your own conclussions, once you got a good base line of what your looking at getting, by testing the equiqment.

Little review here: (Most reviews give it good praise)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -13-46466/
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    3 1/2 stars isn't exactly amazing though is it?
  • Jomox
    Aigh, but its not the 1 or 2 stars some making them out to be on here. Like said, test them and make your own conclussions, as with most parts. The op can demo them so, its only a positive thing to do so (Whatever the out come, like with anything that you test)
  • rockmonkeysc
    The CTD Evolution forks are pretty poor. The damper is no better than the bottom end Rockshox TK damper.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The fork makes rides as boring as fuck, have a 2012 float ctd, hate it, ruins the bike it's on, have a 2007 flat rl which is a lower end fork, and makes the bike it's on a joy to ride. ,rockshox or xfusion are the way to go for 2014 bikes. Spicy did well in recent test but was said to be held back by the fork, allowing a 15 kg bike with a rockshox sektor fork to place better than it (for the record the rockshox sector costs about the third of the price of the fox fork and is seen as a better performer)
  • Jomox
    It has mixed feedback yes, but like said, best to test it , as the OP can do so at LBS, so can make his own conclusions, as with most forks, its more a personal preference. Can't rely soley on other peoples "Opinions" to what they like "Personally" When spending this much money, gotta test things and see how you like the fork or whatever part/frame yourself.
  • Myster101
    Really like the look of the Spicy, going to have to try it out. Still like the look of Mega as well though :roll: Think the Scott is out of the running.

Decisions decisions!

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • rockmonkeysc
    The fork on the Mega is extremely good.
    I agree that the Fox/Rockshox thing is personal preference but the CTD Evo is just a bad fork and it's track record for reliability is pretty poor. I rode a Giant Trance with a CTD Evo and it was truely aweful, a Suntour Epicon is a much better fork and you get that on bikes costing less than a grand.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Spicy every day of the week. Rode the new spicy and it blew me away. The nukeproofs look great on paper but the build quality is awful, they're ridiculously heavy.

The spec is also really nowhere near as good as it seems.
  • Jomox
    The fork on the Mega is extremely good.
    I agree that the Fox/Rockshox thing is personal preference but the CTD Evo is just a bad fork and it's track record for reliability is pretty poor. I rode a Giant Trance with a CTD Evo and it was truely aweful, a Suntour Epicon is a much better fork and you get that on bikes costing less than a grand.

Its not that bad lol, I don't like some forks, but they still goodforks,so it don't mean I go slating them as terrible as forks are personal and only an invidual can decide if they like it.
    Myster101 wrote:
    Really like the look of the Spicy, going to have to try it out. Still like the look of Mega as well though :roll: Think the Scott is out of the running.

Decisions decisions!

Spicy is a step up on the mega, you'd know if you rode both, but like you say hard to test both on your size init. Ignore the rants abotu some not liking a fork so slating it, CTD is fine fork, but its one of those you love it or hate it, but same can be said about many forks.

Also as its worth a few bob if you did not like it, could easily sell and get something else, and have cash left over. As it is the Spicey is a much better bike than the Mega in my humble opinion. (Specs as well are better overall)
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    chrisrobs wrote:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -14-47933/
  • Jomox
    adamfo wrote:
    chrisrobs wrote:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -14-47933/

Spicey is on another level to the Mega, there's a reason its the AM bike to beat.
  • Myster101
    Thanks for all the replies people, just ordered the Mega as was sick of going round in circles and it was my original choice. Should be here in 5 days........hopefully!

Can't wait to get out on it :D

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • rockmonkeysc
    Good choice. It's a quality bike and a great ride. Enjoy.
  • Myster101
    Good choice. It's a quality bike and a great ride. Enjoy.

Thanks mate, always liked the look of them and after reading the great reviews just had to go for it!

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • rockmonkeysc
    I bought mine just because of the price but its a brilliant ride.
    The comments above about poor build quality are complete horse sh1t. It's better built and finished than my Giant or my last Specialized. They even face the bottom bracket at the factory which is a quality touch I have never seen on any other bike.
  • Jomox
    Missed out on a much better bike, but enjoy your new bike :wink:

Build quality is fine, just ride is not on par with the Spicy by quite some. Don't own either so no bias like an owner of one, but spent bit of time on both.-
  • Myster101
    Sure I'll love it........better had or the wife will kill me if I say I want another different bike!

Now the wait :shock:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Myster101
    Well after all that they have come back and said they've made a mistake as they didn't actually have any 2013 Megas in my size. Good news is they're sending me a 2014 for the same price :) Loving the look of the new black Pikes.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats a pretty good deal!
  • Myster101
    Yup :)

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP