Wife's sore bum

2»

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Some LBS's* have a little foam pad that you sit on to ascertain the width between your sit bones you then buy a saddle the right width for your aris'.

* Don't know if it's only for Specialized dealers
    Surely it's trivial to measure your own with a ruler?

For anyone who doesn't think men have sit bones, look up the instructions for the Adamo saddle (not really suitable for work).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Some LBS's* have a little foam pad that you sit on to ascertain the width between your sit bones you then buy a saddle the right width for your aris'.

That's not a bad idea for a business, I could offer a bum measuring service, ladies only though :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    leeefm wrote:
    Some very amusing comments above. I particularly enjoyed DDD's instructional steps on how to wipe your a*$e more adequately, but I digress....

The wife has informed me that it isn't to do with chafing of any sort, especially her lady bits. To be more specific, she thinks that her sit bones are particularly sharp, and it is muscle soreness due to pressure. She has asserted to me that she will just WTFU after a month off of commuting to toughen said muscles. She has also alluded to me that I need to spend more money on her to purchase a set of cycling shorts for each day if she is to ride commando... bummer.
    Bum her indeed.

I don't like wearing the same cycle shorts more than once a day without washing.

So I have a weeks worth of cycle shorts, tights, 3/4 lengths etc. That's a lot for cycling tights that can cost you £40 - £100. So for commuting I use:

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Ranges/ ... ewear.aspx

For the price its a steal and far better quality than the price suggests.

Also if she is talking about sit-bones (I swear this bone doesn't exist in males, I only learned of it from a women lost_in_thought and have only heard woman speak about it) then an appropriate saddle - Specialized body geometry (I may have got the name wrong) saddles always receive positive reviews even from me - may resolve things.

The link is to ladies cyclewear. I think you need to elaborate.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    TGOTB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Surely it's trivial to measure your own with a ruler?

For anyone who doesn't think men have sit bones, look up the instructions for the Adamo saddle (not really suitable for work).
    You have to sit forward as if you were on a bike when you measure them. Put a sheet of A4 paper on the stairs, assuming they are carpeted, then sit on the paper leaning forward as if on the bike, then measure the gap between the centre of the two imprints your sit bones leave. Job done.
    Alternatively contact Arran77, I'm sure it'll be fine and he's not on any offenders register. :wink:
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Ischial tuberosities if you prefer.
    pelvis.jpg

Froome's looking pretty trim this early in the season
    <a>road</a>
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Ischial tuberosities if you prefer.
    pelvis.jpg

Froome's looking pretty trim this early in the season

:)
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Is this a bike that she has been riding previously for a while without any problems? I ask that because I had one bike that felt fine to ride, but left you feeling sore no matter how many times you rode it. I once got a mate who joked about my complaints to ride it for an hour - he complained after that he was sore for a week! Changing the saddle helped a little, but ultimately the bike was obviously giving a fairly harsh ride.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    More lube less knickers.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?