Wife's sore bum

leeefm
leeefm Posts: 260
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
She's been complaining recently about having a sore bum after being on the bike. She doesn't cycle huge distances and so I was surprised she has it so early after going back to work after the Christmas break. We then discussed the effects of padded shorts when it was revealed that her lower half cycle wear consisted of (from innermost to outermost layer):

knickers
padded cycle shorts
winter tights
"sports" shorts

I have always assumed that wearing underpants under cycle shorts was a cardinal sin...
Discuss...
Shand Skinnymalinky
Argon 18 Radon

Comments

• I think we will need pictures before being able to offer a considered opinion. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    In the winter I just wear long bibs with fleece inside (dhb ones are really good) - in spring maybe shorts and legwarmers. No underwear. Wearing four layers and having to deal with all those waistbands would drive me bonkers. If I layer up, I do it on top - base layer (or two), jersey, jacket if it's v cold.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Thread title offered muchness.

I am disappoint.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I KNEW he should have posted this in the women's road thread. Pervs, the lot of you. :lol:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's best not to wear anything under paddeds, but I doubt the knickers (rather a wide ranging 'brief' that, anything from Thongs to something your grandmother would wear with some French knickers as a side option) is having any effect.

Sounds like she needs to MT...sorry WTFU for a few days, or maybe take a look at her saddle choice. Another possible is that after a few days off a small muscle in my backside hurts for a couple of days just from pedalling effort and nothing to do with buttocks bike interface at the saddle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    msmancunia wrote:
    I KNEW he should have posted this in the women's road thread. Pervs, the lot of you. :lol:
    How very dare you? I resemble that comment.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Dragging this thread back to the original point that no one actually answered...

I wear (mens!) underwear when cycling to work, it's only 12 miles and has never been an issue. Frankly and trying not to be too graphic, I shower when I get to work and 'ablute' at home before I leave, so I don't want... contaminments on the padding of the shorts.

I think you need to define what you mean by 'sore'. Are we talking general pain in the backside from sitting on the saddle, or going down the saddle sore route of things rubbing where they shouldn't?

If it's the former I'd be looking at the saddle position and type, the latter (and God help me for saying this) some lube (wait for it) but I can't believe you would need some for a short hop on the bike.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Sounds like her bum needs toughening up, maybe more riding would help?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,086
    leeefm wrote:
    She's been complaining recently about having a sore bum after being on the bike. She doesn't cycle huge distances and so I was surprised she has it so early after going back to work after the Christmas break. We then discussed the effects of padded shorts when it was revealed that her lower half cycle wear consisted of (from innermost to outermost layer):

knickers
    padded cycle shorts
    winter tights
    "sports" shorts

I have always assumed that wearing underpants under cycle shorts was a cardinal sin...
    Discuss...

Does seem like rather too many layers. No need for pants, as you suggest, but if she feels she must, then go for some cycling-specific ones, which will be made of the right kind of fabric, and won't have all the seams in the wrong place. +1 to Kieran's point about whether it's a... err... chafing issue or saddle shape/position issue.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Mrs EKE is like the princess and the pea when it comes to saddle position.
    She now knows that underwear under padded shorts is a no-no (lots of women have a real block about going sans underwear) and we've got saddle height position right. The current issue with her new bike is fore-aft position (maybe a new stem?) but the BIGGEST problem is saddle angle. Get that right and she's fine.

Anatomically, where is the problem?
    If it is her bum, perhaps it's the saddle shape. If the problem is with her lady bits (pictures required to diagnose), then maybe it is the saddle angle (this can also manifest itself in arm fatigue as she constantly pushes herself back on the saddle). Saddles should be horizontal,(even though Mrs EKE prefers the nose 1.5° up).

Edit: Four layers is excessive.
    Knickers is probably a 'daintiness' issue. A "Good girls don't go commando" attitude.
    The padded shorts are fine but in cold weather, padded longs are better as they eliminate the need for the
    Winter tights, unless it is a vanity issue, to prevent people seeing her legs.
    Sports shorts don't bring anything to the party. An extra seam to chafe and extra drag. Again, probably vanity. Mrs EKE described wearing padded shorts as like using the world's largest panty liner, maybe the OP's missus feels the same and wears them to prevent onlookers seeing any padded cycle shorts induced camel toe.

Tell her to ditch the knickers and sports shorts, check her position and if it is OK, tell her MsManc told her to WTFU.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • No pictures please...

I have two comments;

1. Maybe she is wearing too many layers (1 to 2 layers is adequate in most cases i.e just the padded shorts and tights could/should suffice)
    2. Maybe she needs to have her saddle type, angle and height checked out
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Have you offered to rub it better ?
    :wink:
    Misguided Idealist
  • arran77
    No pictures please...

Do you know what his wife looks like then :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • It depends on the problem.

In the case of abrasion a chamois cream may help.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • arran77 wrote:
    No pictures please...

Do you know what his wife looks like then :wink:

:shock: :shock: :|

No.

**slowly exits the thread**

Honestly though, NO!
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I must admit to commuting (6.7 miles each way) in everyday 'boxer shorts' and cheap cycling baggies (I WILL NOT inflict my physique in Lycra to my colleagues at work) and I don't have a either a 'bad saddle' or a chafing issue. I do wear paddeds (Commando) for longer rides.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    OP,

Two seperate issues. Four layers is excessive. Commando is the comfort of kings. Sore bum, maybe due to exercising the glutes (butt cheek muscles) or saddle position. Long time members on here will remember a similar punani thread.
    msmancunia wrote:
    In the winter I just wear long bibs with fleece inside (dhb ones are really good) - in spring maybe shorts and legwarmers. No underwear. Wearing four layers and having to deal with all those waistbands would drive me bonkers. If I layer up, I do it on top - base layer (or two), jersey, jacket if it's v cold. No Bra
    Yay!
    KB wrote:
    Frankly and trying not to be too graphic, I shower when I get to work and 'ablute' at home before I leave, so I don't want... contaminments on the padding of the shorts.
    Dude, that's an issue with how well you wipe. Advice: [1] wipe away from the ball sack and towards the base of the spine. [2] apply as much pressure as to cause 3rd degree burns with each wipe. [3] Nair/shave your anal beard.

Yes I did just write that.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    this thread is beginning to look and sound like something out of mumsnet.

it is onl a matter of time before someone mentions CentreParcs
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    fat_tail wrote:
    Is that Mumsnet's answer to Godwin's Law?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ahh, the good old days of the Punnani thread...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • fat_tail
    TGOTB wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:
    Is that Mumsnet's answer to Godwin's Law?
    Yes - I believe most threads on mumsnet end up with a mention of Centre Parcs
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Some very amusing comments above. I particularly enjoyed DDD's instructional steps on how to wipe your a*$e more adequately, but I digress....

The wife has informed me that it isn't to do with chafing of any sort, especially her lady bits. To be more specific, she thinks that her sit bones are particularly sharp, and it is muscle soreness due to pressure. She has asserted to me that she will just WTFU after a month off of commuting to toughen said muscles. She has also alluded to me that I need to spend more money on her to purchase a set of cycling shorts for each day if she is to ride commando... bummer.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • fat_tail
    leeefm wrote:
    Some very amusing comments above. I particularly enjoyed DDD's instructional steps on how to wipe your a*$e more adequately, but I digress....

... bummer.
    Indeed
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    leeefm wrote:

The wife has informed me that it isn't to do with chafing of any sort, especially her lady bits. To be more specific, she thinks that her sit bones are particularly sharp, and it is muscle soreness due to pressure. She has asserted to me that she will just WTFU after a month off of commuting to toughen said muscles. She has also alluded to me that I need to spend more money on her to purchase a set of cycling shorts for each day if she is to ride commando... bummer.
    Bum her indeed.

I don't like wearing the same cycle shorts more than once a day without washing.

So I have a weeks worth of cycle shorts, tights, 3/4 lengths etc. That's a lot for cycling tights that can cost you £40 - £100. So for commuting I use:

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Ranges/ ... ewear.aspx

For the price its a steal and far better quality than the price suggests.

Also if she is talking about sit-bones (I swear this bone doesn't exist in males, I only learned of it from a women lost_in_thought and have only heard woman speak about it) then an appropriate saddle - Specialized body geometry (I may have got the name wrong) saddles always receive positive reviews even from me - may resolve things.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • At least she's wearing padded shorts. An awful lot of the women on my commute just wear tights, so when they lean forward over the handlebars they go see through round the back.

Makes my new camera all the more worthwhile though....
  • fat_tail
    vertigo16 wrote:
    At least she's wearing padded shorts. An awful lot of the women on my commute just wear tights, so when they lean forward over the handlebars they go see through round the back.

Which way do you travel ?
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • I'm straight.
  • arran77
    vertigo16 wrote:
    At least she's wearing padded shorts. An awful lot of the women on my commute just wear tights, so when they lean forward over the handlebars they go see through round the back.

Video footage or I call bullshit :P

seanoconn
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,086
    edited January 2014
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also if she is talking about sit-bones (I swear this bone doesn't exist in males, I only learned of it from a women lost_in_thought and have only heard woman speak about it) then an appropriate saddle - Specialized body geometry (I may have got the name wrong) saddles always receive positive reviews even from me - may resolve things.

Ischial tuberosities if you prefer.
    pelvis.jpg

EDIT: better pic
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Some LBS's* have a little foam pad that you sit on to ascertain the width between your sit bones you then buy a saddle the right width for your aris'.

* Don't know if it's only for Specialized dealers