First Accident! Almost 600 miles in.

superstacker
superstacker Posts: 16
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
Well it was bound to happen eventually. Riding down the A13 towards Southend on Sea on my morning commute.

Riding Primary position in left hand lane and a female in a 4x4 pulls out (from stationary) of the side junction and drives straight into the side of me!

I fall to the floor winded and scraped, people start coming over, someone calls an Ambulance, driver is claiming that she saw me at the last minute, braked and then "skidded into me, so it wasn't so bad". Im lying in the road wondering why bad things happen to good people...

Ambulance arrives, Police arrive, they don't believe the skidding story, will be prosecuting for careless driving.

Back pain (muscles I think), leg scrapes, mark on my ankle. Bike doesn't look too bad, maybe a bend on the handlebar, I think the chainset is bent slightly. Will drop it off at the LBS later in the week.

Soliciters contacted, but Ill have the drivers details later today.

Only been commuting since mid November, I ride a motorbike and drive a car, my commute is about 13 miles each way and I do it 4 times a week on average. My complete miles are about 550. I just can't see how this could have been avoided. I always cover brakes if cars are edging at junctions...

1535621_10153700938210201_1929011635_n.jpg

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Sounds like you did everything you could. Ouch, and get well soon. That could've been very bad indeed.

Follow the advice in the very useful What to do in case of an accident thread.

If you're interested in making a claim on the driver's insurance however, don't be too quick to settle or accept a payment. You've been hit by a big car, and injuries can take a while to show, and a very, very long time to heal. Keep receipts/records of all payments you have to make as a result of this accident.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Glad you're not too hurt, and glad this isn't one of those 'no witness' so called accidents where the clearly guilty driver gets away with it.

Good luck luck getting compo etc!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you're not more seriously injured.

Don't start trying to find fault with your riding. Some motorists just don't pay enough attention :cry:
  • Perhaps the driver was blinded by the sun and didn't see you getting pulled along behind on a trail gator?

Either that or the driver's white stilettos slipped off the brake pedal?

Sorry I'm being facetious. Glad it wasn't worse and hope you get well soon.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Good visibility on that junction so no excuses. She either didn't look or just didn't consider you. Glad that the police are taking it seriously.
  • She didn't give any grief when the police arrived and Im just so lucky that the investigating officer is a cyclist as well.

I just cannot understand how she managed to drive into the SIDE of me. People pull out all the time at junctions, but I never thought I'd get hit like that!
  • I feel for you stacker, I've been close...

I've had 3 near misses since I started cycling a couple of years ago.

Two of them the same situation as yours, car pulling out from a left hand junction.

The third one was a car coming toward me and turning right into my path.

All women drivers. Coincidentally. :twisted:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It really could be a case of she didn't see you .. or rather, there was so much else going on to distract her that although you were in her field of vision her brain didn't register your presence.
    Not that that excuses her!

Anyway - you say you can't see how this could've been avoided - well - perhaps you should review your visibility measures. Again, not apportioning blame - just suggesting that a check of what measures you do take are reasonable for the conditions.
    It sounds like you wear a yellow top - these are common place now, perhaps an orange or *cough* pink one would be more visible?
    Do you have a front light on? Does it flash? What's the power?
    Er ... not sure what else?

Ah - did you make eye contact? Were you even able to? If not then that does suggest that she hasn't seen you and should ring alarm bells - not sure what you'd do about it in that situation though ...
  • Slowbike,

I wear a yellow hi viz jersey and have a normal LED front light not particularly high powered but enough to be seen, however it was full daylight at the time. It does not flash.

I was on the primary line, I normally always go for eye contact, and usually shout something like "LOOK" when people are edging and I don't have eye contact. I even come down from the hoods and cover the front brake, sometimes slowing down if needed. I can't recollect if I had eye contact or not in this specific instance, I would assume that I did because instinct always has me covering the brake when i don't have it. Hopefully it will come back to me tomorrow.

When the vehicle started moving out, I was maybe 5 feet away, I believe I was pretty much AT the junction. I had time to scream, move a foot or so to the right and then shout the F word as she drove straight into the side of me.

I was not overtaking a line of traffic or anything like that. I certainly was not even to the left, definately primary position...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    As others have said, it could have been so much worse. Doesn't sound like there is much you could have done. Pleased you are ok. Looks like the emergency services were on the case
  • A couple of months ago I went out in my car to assist my wife who got taken out by a car turning left. Once her bike was checked over she decided to 'get back on the horse' and cycle home. When I drove past her a little bit down the road I noticed her front light was not very visible in the daylight so I stopped and advised her to set it to 'flash' which IMHO made it much more visible.

Daytime I have one front light flashing and at night one constant, one flashing. Still didn't stop a bloke pulling out in front of me at a mini roundabout on the way home tonight making me go over the bump in the centre. His excuse? I was 'travelling too fast'! (GPS log shows I was doing 22mph on the approach to the roundabout and slowing to just under 13mph as I entered it.)

Basically no matter whatch you wear, how you are lit and where you position yourself you will at some point get a SMIDSY. Glad in this instance you are not too badly hurt and the police are taking an interest.
  • 22MPH on the approach! I dream of such speeds, I think over the flat I'm doing about 15mph... At the time of impact I can't imagine it was much over 10mph, luckily!

My GPS shows a closing speed of 14mph, 13mph just before impact and then around 11mph on impact. However GPS isn't that accurate I guess.
  • I have a normal handlebar light that's on flash mode, and I also have a helmet light - do a lot of riding in the country after dark and this allows me to look around the corners for safer riding.
    Anyway, I find that having a helmet light also helps ... i.e. if you see a car waiting at a junction you can point it in their direction and this *should* get their attention even if they didn't initially spot you. I've had a few cars start to pull out on me, or turn right across my path, but so far shining the light at them has got them to stop in their tracks!! :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I suspect she was looking up the road 'behind you' and didn't see you on top of her, glad you are 'OK though, I'm lucky as I haven't been taken off in over 4000 miles commuting, although I've had 4 'touches' where I survived the contact.

I wouldn't use a solicitor until you have tried her insurer, many are much more sensible with claims than they were a few years ago (contesting it for ages costs more money if they end up paying anyway) only use one if you have personal injury to add to the physical stuff or if they are playing silly buggers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slowbike
    Slowbike,

I wear a yellow hi viz jersey and have a normal LED front light not particularly high powered but enough to be seen, however it was full daylight at the time. It does not flash.

I was on the primary line, I normally always go for eye contact, and usually shout something like "LOOK" when people are edging and I don't have eye contact. I even come down from the hoods and cover the front brake, sometimes slowing down if needed. I can't recollect if I had eye contact or not in this specific instance, I would assume that I did because instinct always has me covering the brake when i don't have it. Hopefully it will come back to me tomorrow.

When the vehicle started moving out, I was maybe 5 feet away, I believe I was pretty much AT the junction. I had time to scream, move a foot or so to the right and then shout the F word as she drove straight into the side of me.

I was not overtaking a line of traffic or anything like that. I certainly was not even to the left, definitely primary position...

Sounds like you do everything reasonable - a front flashing light is more visible than a constant one though - perhaps you should consider a change? I use one that has "hyper constant" mode - ie it's on 1/2 power all the time and flashes high power (Cateye Nanoshot+) - I use it in that mode when I'm riding through traffic or approaching a busy junction - but usually only when vehicles are using their headlights - perhaps I should review that!

Jersey wise - I wear red as I think that contrasts better against my usual background (country road riding) - it does have reflective strips on for riding in the dark too ...

Generally I don't like helmet lights - but I have got one on atm - I just don't power it up unless one of my front lights goes dim. the only thing I would off an opinion on with helmet lights is that your front main light should be on your handlebars and the helmet light secondary - otherwise it can be quite confusing for an oncoming driver (having been in that situation myself) - and be aware of blinding ppl as you turn your head - although in your case it may have helped the woman see you!

How are you feeling today?
    You could(should?) include cost of commuting in your claim if you would normally have ridden and now have to take alternative transport.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Sounds like you do everything reasonable - a front flashing light is more visible than a constant one though - perhaps you should consider a change? I use one that has "hyper constant" mode - ie it's on 1/2 power all the time and flashes high power (Cateye Nanoshot+) - I use it in that mode when I'm riding through traffic or approaching a busy junction - but usually only when vehicles are using their headlights - perhaps I should review that!

I have the same light and that mode is very useful!

But I also have a Cateye Nima on the front which I have on flash mode all the time - even during the day
  • Im still quite sore today. Muscle pain in my lower back that is being controlled by freeze spray and some brufen.

I can walk, but running and riding is out of the question. I'm not too happy using my motorbike until I'm healed so it's the train to work this week.

Keeping all receipts, police should be at my work tomorrow to collect my statement :)
  • slowbike
    Im still quite sore today. Muscle pain in my lower back that is being controlled by freeze spray and some brufen.

I can walk, but running and riding is out of the question. I'm not too happy using my motorbike until I'm healed so it's the train to work this week.

Keeping all receipts, police should be at my work tomorrow to collect my statement :)

Thats an arse - I take it you are documenting the injuries - even the invisible ones. No idea what compo should be due - if any - but I'm sure someone can advise you.

How's the bike? Have you been able to get it to the LBS yet?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I was hit on wednesday (second time in 8 weeks!!) a driver in a van was waiting to turn right, i was going straight along the road and he just pulled straight into me.

His defence was that he couldnt see because his windscreen was misted up! I did suggest he might want to wait for it to clear before setting off next time!

luckily the bike was fine and other than a pretty sore arm i'm fine too.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Im still quite sore today. Muscle pain in my lower back that is being controlled by freeze spray and some brufen.

Thats an ars* - I take it you are documenting the injuries - even the invisible ones. No idea what compo should be due - if any - but I'm sure someone can advise you.

How's the bike? Have you been able to get it to the LBS yet?

I've not got near the LBS yet, partly because the investigating Officer has not visited me as promised to a) interview me and b) pass me the 3rd party details. I've no doubt he's been on other jobs so I'll give it a couple of days before I ring the station. I can't do much with insurance or bike repairs until I get the 3rd party details. (I was in the ambulance too quickly to mess about with reg numbers!)
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I wouldn't be in primary in that situation. If I see a car at a junction ahead I move as far right as is possible. Gives the best chance of being seen, better visibility and more room if they pull out anyway.

I had exactly the same thing happen as you when I was travelling at about 20 odd in pitch black (I had a front light of course) and was able to go to the extreme of the other (oncoming) lane to get around the car pulling out. Pretty close call that one - seemed like no attempt at all was made by the car to slow down at all and they only saw me when I was parallel to the front of the car and passing (I made eye contact).

Obviously I'm not saying you did anything 'wrong' but you've got to give yourelf the best chance.
  • Pastryboy,

Yeah I perhaps could have been a bit more to the right. I was that far into the junction I honestly did not believe for a second that she was going to pull out. I managed to move a foot or so to the right before collision.

All,

Update from the Investigating Officer. Female is not admitting liability. She has made several claims, each more outlandish than the last.

The latest claim is something along the lines of: "He must have jumped a red light about 100 metres before my junction because there were no other cars around him" "He must have been riding along the footpath and then bunny hopped off the curb at the last minute so I couldn't see him" (On a Dawes Giro 300 road bike with thin wheels). "He must have slipped up the bus lane?!" (there is no bus lane there, however if there were then I'd be allowed to use it)
    "He put his hand on my bonnet to steady himself and his wheels went out from under him"

Will contact insurance company tomorrow morning. The Police are taking my statement next week to put it before the court. The investigating officer does have witness details if he needs them!
  • Update:

Paperwork submitted to Soliciters.

Still have an uncomfortable lower back a week after the fall. Brufen and freeze spray isn't really touching it.
  • slowbike
    Good luck. :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Another dozy mare in denial. Your gps trace and witnesses make those excuses rather ludicrous. Take her for every penny...
  • Blimey, its so frustrating, I live out near the New Forest and cyclist get over taken on blind tight bends all the time, its lethal. I can see a day where all cyclists and walkers will need an insurance policy.
  • Small update:

Solicitors have accepted paperwork and have submitted to the 3rd parties insurance.

Police have taken a statement for the criminal investigation, the female is attempting to wiggle out, suggesting that she didn't really hit me and I'm bluffing a fall for the payout.

I was also speeding, jumping red lights, riding along the pavement and I pushed myself off her bonnet.
  • slowbike
    Don't forget you were also texting your mates whilst phoning your other half ... and applying your mascara ....

Oh no ... that was her!
  • Small update:

Physio appointments start tomorrow due to back injury continuing.

Paperwork submitted for Special damages and appointment being set up for an injury report :)
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Hope your back feels better soon. The excuses remind me of the classic - "My car was legally parked as it backed into another vehicle". You might enjoy some of these, anyway http://www.businessballs.com/insuranceclaims.htm :)

Some people just don't seem to look where they're going - I've had a car bump me when I was in primary and stuck in traffic...managed to drive straight into my back wheel, despite going at around walking pace due to the traffic.