Canyon cf slx di2 2013 or cf sl 9.0 aero 2014

rgasuk
rgasuk Posts: 89
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, just after some options and advice really .

About to take the plunge on a new bike and have narrowed it down to the canyon cf slx or the ultimate cf sl 9.0 aero 2014 , Once I've cleared some bits n bobs I'll put an order in, now my dilemma is , do I go for a 2013 with 10 speed di2 or mechanical from the outlet shop or go for a new 11 speed di2 version which is at the max of my budget , or to make it more complicated go for the ultimate cf sl 9.0 aero 2014 ...

I live in a hilly area , don't plan on racing at a high level , just sportives and strava , with a few TT chucked in if possible .

Thanks in advance .
Road - Scott solace .
Training - giant xtc 1
Mtb - Yt Capra pro
Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance

Comments

• Is there a SRAM version?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rgasuk
    Yeah but is 1k over my budget
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Have you looked at ROSE Bikes too? :lol:
  • this
    mechanical from the outlet shop

Have 2012 model and tbh seeing my friends DI2 its great and everything, but it ISNT omfg.

DI2 is for TTs, no need for it on road bikes in my personal opinion. ps mech shifts great
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • rgasuk
    Lol cheers for complicating it even more, there's a 5 month wait on the cf slx ,don't think I can wait that long so been seeing what major difference is between that and the cf sl , areo road is nice , but don't think I'm suited to its frame, bit to racy I think .
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
  • Not so sure as my CF SL is quiet tall at the front so the Aero might be a better bet? and it looks faster.

I am fancying one anyway, you need to have a quick spin on mine as the geo. is the same as the SLX.

Is your head truly done in now?

PS what about this one
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3295

Lighter than the Di, and has better wheels.

Head hurting yet :-)
  • rgasuk
    Haha yeah , big time . Have you used di2 ? , guess I only fancied it for more the electronic side of things, weight isn't an issue for me . Sure the availability times keep changing !. If I'm going to have it for a few years I need to be sure.
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
  • Ultegra Di2 isn't all its cracked up to be.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Ultegra Di2 isn't all its cracked up to be.

Nonsense,it shifts flawlessly ! Although if your a weight weenie it won't suit !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Ultegra Di2 isn't all its cracked up to be.

Nonsense,it shifts flawlessly ! Although if your a weight weenie it won't suit !

I didn't say it didn't shift flawlessly. I have SRAM & Campag they also shift flawlessly.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    It doesn't sound like you need an aero bike, so I'd discount that unless the geometry is better for you.

We can have arguments about mechanical vs electronic until the cows come home, but that really is up to you. I don't think that I would get 10sp Ultegra di2 over Ultegra 11 mechanical, though. And I would take 11sp di2 over 11sp mechanical. Whether it is worth the money to you depends on you.

Have you looked at the differences between 2013 and 2014 bikes?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    That comment is no help whatsoever unless you give some sort of explanation. It just throws some vague doubt in the air. Maybe you have some particular insight, maybe it's particular to your tastes, maybe you don't know what you're talking about - how do we know? I'm considering my options between Ultegra mech and Di2 at the moment and would appreciate any info available but this isn't information.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180

I didn't say it didn't shift flawlessly. I have SRAM & Campag they also shift flawlessly.[/quote]

Right,so we have worked they all shift well,enlighten us all as to why Ultegra Di2 "isn't all it's cracked up to be".
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • ai_1
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    ....Have you looked at the differences between 2013 and 2014 bikes?
    The current Canyon Ultimate CF SLX frame was introduced in 2013 and the only changes this year are the build spec. The 2014 Ultimate CF SL is a new frame significantly different from last year's Ultimate CF based on the current Ultimate CF SLX frame (same moulds) but with a different, heavier carbon layup.
    So I'd choose last years CF SLX over this years CF SL. However this years CF SL should be good and is still a fairly light frame (<1kg).
    I was strongly considering the CF SLX 7.0 but now I'm wondering if I'd notice any difference between this and the CF SL 9.0 which is €1k cheaper. It does have cheaper (but still adequate) wheels and the heavier frame but weight is still a very respectable 6.95kg (as opposed to 6.7kg).
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Ai_1 wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    The current Canyon Ultimate CF SLX frame was introduced in 2013 and the only changes this year are the build spec. The 2014 Ultimate CF SL is a new frame significantly different from last year's Ultimate CF based on the current Ultimate CF SLX frame (same moulds) but with a different, heavier carbon layup.
    So I'd choose last years CF SLX over this years CF SL. However this years CF SL should be good and is still a fairly light frame (<1kg).
    I was strongly considering the CF SLX 7.0 but now I'm wondering if I'd notice any difference between this and the CF SL 9.0 which is €1k cheaper. It does have cheaper (but still adequate) wheels and the heavier frame but weight is still a very respectable 6.95kg (as opposed to 6.7kg).

I've gone for the CF SL 9.0. Price wise its surely the best bang for buck.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I believe the aero is a relatively old design and probably the next one that Canyon will re-design.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • ai_1
    Ai_1 wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

I'm coming around to that way of thinking!
    Do you have it yet? If so what do you think?
    Which colour did you go for? Canyon seem to intentionally make the SLX schemes nicer than the lower models. I don't think it's just subjective either! I can't decide if I like or hate the silver & blue CF SL scheme. The grey/black scheme is inoffensive and maybe better in person but it looks a bit bland in the pictures. If you've got yours pictures would be appreciated - in either scheme.... Enjoy the new bike!
  • ai_1
    poppit wrote:
    I believe the aero is a relatively old design and probably the next one that Canyon will re-design.
    Yep, I think it was introduced at the end of 2010 for the 2011 season. I thought they might revise it for this year.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

I'm coming around to that way of thinking!
    Do you have it yet? If so what do you think?
    Which colour did you go for? Canyon seem to intentionally make the SLX schemes nicer than the lower models. I don't think it's just subjective either! I can't decide if I like or hate the silver & blue CF SL scheme. The grey/black scheme is inoffensive and maybe better in person but it looks a bit bland in the pictures. If you've got yours pictures would be appreciated - in either scheme.... Enjoy the new bike!

Hi, the bike arrives in April. I went for the Black as although on the website the Cyan looks great I saw one on the your road bikes section and wasnt as keen. I agree the SLX colour schemes look much better, I actually wanted to spec mine with the black saddle and bar tape from the Cyan model but that wasnt possible.
  • rgasuk
    Thanks all for your answers and thoughts .

I was under the impression that the bikes below had the same frames, I wasn't looking at the aeroad bike as the frame and riding style won't suit me, if that's why it was pointed out about older frames.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bi ... ab-reiter2

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3241

I'm hoping to test an ultimate at the weekend, as a nice gents kindly offered me a test ride .thinking I've settled on 11 speed shimano ( I've used to shimano and used to it ). Rather that the older di2 or mechanical .

My original dilemma was between these 2 bikes

https://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/artic ... o=A1032480

With this chucked in at a maxed out budget - which means no spare winter bike for a while as can't buy them all :twisted:

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3294
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
  • Intresting comments about the 2013 Vs 2014 CF SL, I have a 2014 SL CF 8.0 and I was supprized how light it was. Not weighed it on scales yet but it does not feel much heavier than my much more expensive Supersix Hi Mod with Sram Red on it.

My take on Canyons are you got a great bike for about 60 to 70% of the cost of the big names. So far I have no complaints about mine but it has only done 150 miles so far.

If it was me I would go for this one,
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3243

In stock with a 53/39 in black as well. You could always change the chainset to a compact if you wanted at a later date
  • apox
    apox Posts: 2
    This is really interesting stuff - I'm looking at getting a new bike very soon too, interested in the comparison between the Supersix (regular or high mod) and the Canyon CF? I noticed there's a SuperSix Red Racing (HiMod I believe) on sale for around £3k, considering this against a Canyon CF SLX 8.0 @ £3.2k (Dura-Ace, non-DI - would go for a cheaper model but this is the only SLX currently in stock) or getting a cheaper Canyon CF SL 9.0 aero instead (not too much wait) and using my money for something else. Like a holiday or eating or something.

How far is too far - how does the Canyon compare to your Supersix?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313

I didn't say it didn't shift flawlessly. I have SRAM & Campag they also shift flawlessly.

Right,so we have worked they all shift well,enlighten us all as to why Ultegra Di2 "isn't all it's cracked up to be".

He won't, he is our pet troll. He just spouts rubbish to wind people up.

Once you know that, he is quite harmless.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • apox wrote:
    This is really interesting stuff - I'm looking at getting a new bike very soon too, interested in the comparison between the Supersix (regular or high mod) and the Canyon CF? I noticed there's a SuperSix Red Racing (HiMod I believe) on sale for around £3k, considering this against a Canyon CF SLX 8.0 @ £3.2k (Dura-Ace, non-DI - would go for a cheaper model but this is the only SLX currently in stock) or getting a cheaper Canyon CF SL 9.0 aero instead (not too much wait) and using my money for something else. Like a holiday or eating or something.

How far is too far - how does the Canyon compare to your Supersix?

Hi The CF SL is not that much diffrent to ride than my Supersix Himod, the only problem I have in givving a fair comparison is Ive not road the S6 since November. But I have had 3x 50ish mile rides on the CF SL and it certainly puts a smile on my face especcially when have a big push up a hill. I was thinking of having a ride on both the next nice day we get so I can tell better what the diffrance is. Not forgetting the S6 had an RRP of £4500 and has been upgraded, my CF SL was £1700 but I have changed the wheels to Fulcrum Zeros so in reality I have just over £2k in and I am comparing it to a bike that would have cost more than twice that at RRP, just shows how good Canyons are on value.

Dont forget the S6 you have though about getting comes with Tubs, which put me off as I was fancying a one as mine is an older pre Evo model.

Rich...
  • apox
    apox Posts: 2

Hi The CF SL is not that much diffrent to ride than my Supersix Himod, the only problem I have in givving a fair comparison is Ive not road the S6 since November. But I have had 3x 50ish mile rides on the CF SL and it certainly puts a smile on my face especcially when have a big push up a hill. I was thinking of having a ride on both the next nice day we get so I can tell better what the diffrance is. Not forgetting the S6 had an RRP of £4500 and has been upgraded, my CF SL was £1700 but I have changed the wheels to Fulcrum Zeros so in reality I have just over £2k in and I am comparing it to a bike that would have cost more than twice that at RRP, just shows how good Canyons are on value.

Dont forget the S6 you have though about getting comes with Tubs, which put me off as I was fancying a one as mine is an older pre Evo model.

Rich...

Thanks for that! I was fairly set on the canyon but the saving on the rrp (£5k) of the s6 red racing is pretty tempting. Think I may prefer a 2014 canyon with 11 speed though. Agreed on the tubs. Hm, decisions.
  • ai_1
    rgasuk wrote:
    Thanks all for your answers and thoughts .

I was under the impression that the bikes below had the same frames, I wasn't looking at the aeroad bike as the frame and riding style won't suit me, if that's why it was pointed out about older frames.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3241

I'm hoping to test an ultimate at the weekend, as a nice gents kindly offered me a test ride .thinking I've settled on 11 speed shimano ( I've used to shimano and used to it ). Rather that the older di2 or mechanical .

My original dilemma was between these 2 bikes

https://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/artic ... o=A1032480

With this chucked in at a maxed out budget - which means no spare winter bike for a while as can't buy them all :twisted:

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3294
    There are only 2 different frames in your links in that post. The first 2 bikes are all the new Ultimate CF SL that's just been released. The last 2 are the Ultimate CF SLX frame which hasn't changed since last year but the groupset has. Last year's Ultegra model was 10 speed versus 11 speed this year.
    All these frames are the same shape. The SL is cheaper but a little heavier (still light). The wheels are the same on all but the SL Aero. Personally I'd go for the new Ultegra because I want to use a wide range cassette where I think the 11 speeds will make a difference and who knows, I may want to use their new 6800 medium cage rear derailleur in the future.
  • I was in the same place, ended up getting Ultimate CF SL 9.0 (SL) with the VCLS Post 2.0. Weight difference between this and the SLX is marginal and saved a bit of money in the process. Roll on April delivery :-) Bike is more than enough for sportives and KOMs. Most bikes around 1k would do for this but then again buy what you can afford :twisted: :twisted:

I discounted the ultimate cf sl 9.0 aero based on the poor reviews of the wheel set.
  • ai_1
    ....I discounted the ultimate cf sl 9.0 aero based on the poor reviews of the wheel set.
    I hadn't checked them out yet. I thought most models of Cosmic Carbones usually got good reviews but I'll be sure and do my homework before ordering. If you're right then it'll probably be the CF SL 9.0 for me too.
  • rgasuk
    intresting , think ive made my mind up and be putting my order in at the weekend. going to go for the cf sl 9.0 aero , i already have a set of kysruim elites, so can swap them out when needed . i like the the colour better than that sram fore 22 option, well today anyway lol :lol::lol:
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro