Help needed from Techie Audiophiles.

2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    tim wand wrote:
    If it makes you feel any better Pinarello. I am on the look out for one of these everytime I go to Newark Antiques fair. Me and my brother used to have one in our bedroom, played 16's 32's 45's and 78's and I used to stare in wonder as a child how it could auto-load. I d give my hide teeth to find a decent one today. Far too good for the shed though.

9q4i.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A Dansette? Like this:

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... FUwpbg.jpg

(ebay 321286825446)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    meursault wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    I wouldn't mind some of this central music thingy, but I haven't a fking clue. Is there some kind of diagram I can see, that would help?

NAS connects to router connects to.... type of thing?

yes just plug it into your router or another switching box.

play with the settings and you can use it as extra storage/hard drive for each user on the net work or just have a common place for all the families stuff.

See? Now you're all clued up aren't you meursault? :D

Yep, got it now

confused.jpg

Though there ain't any prizes for confusing me.
    That is left to the people who write the software for the NAS. And there are so many different ones that though they do the same thing do it in many different ways.

I have 2 netgear NAS's and an LG on that though simple had some serious issues that have now been sorted.

On thing to look at is what software comes preinstalled and if you need some specific software on it will it actually run on it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552

That ones far too modern with all its flashy chrome and glass

I want a red leatherette one with plated gold catches and pearlescent tone arm circa 1950's , that's what me and me bro had. it was proper peng.

As for this What Hi Fi forum thing , I ve tried to register twice tonight and keep getting "Page doesn't work" message, Obviously their Moderators aren't has keen to have me on board as you NickLouse.

They probably found out about Mummsnett.
  • pinno
    tim wand wrote:

That ones...

They probably found out about Mummsnett.

I bet the mods on here got so much stick as a result of some nasty horrible sh1t stirring lycra boys going on mumsnet for kicks? Mods bashing mods? I wish they sold tickets.

Back to the Dansette. Why? I mean they sound awful. I have some old CBS jazz records form the days of the monotone single microphone recordings and it does sound a little odd on my 'modern' system. I guess it would have some purpose then?
  • tim_wand
    Pure nostalgia. More as a piece of furniture than audio equipment.

I haven't currently got anything which will play Vinyl so , for the few occasions when I would , this would be fine.
    Have started getting some good charity shop finds. One of the Oxfams I collect mail from has a reet good Vinyl Section. I m more into the Album artwork than the actual recordings.
  • pinno
    tim wand wrote:
    Pure nostalgia. More as a piece of furniture than audio equipment.

I haven't currently got anything which will play Vinyl so , for the few occasions when I would , this would be fine.
    Have started getting some good charity shop finds. One of the Oxfams I collect mail from has a reet good Vinyl Section. I m more into the Album artwork than the actual recordings.

Surely a modern diamond stylus is not going to inflict so much damage?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I'd suggest using Richer Sounds (if there is one local to you) for info on the Sonos kit. They'll demo it and are generally very helpful.

A friend's full-house Sonos set up is very impressive and easy to use. I'll be going down that route when funds allow.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Nah, this is what you need:

linn-highland-park-2.jpg
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    apreading wrote:
    Nah, this is what you need:

linn-highland-park-2.jpg

Linn are nice but what he really needs is this

high_end_clearaudio_statement_plattenspieler_01.jpg

Only 119,000 Euros.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Makes amazing coffee though ...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    mpatts wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Ooh. To hijack this momentarily, mpatts - what do you make of the PMC20-23s? I recently got hold of a Naim Nait 51-2 and don't like the current speakers with it. How do you get on with the 23s?

I love them - had them over a year now, and they took a bit of breaking in, but they sound great. If you listen to a demo set they will sound a bit bright and trebley, but after a month or so some of the 'brightness' is complimented with more roundness. Also, they don't mind being close to walls, so there are lots of placement options.

To boot, they look fabulous!
    Spent the morning listening to a pair of these and few other alternatives; the 23s won. On their way in the next few days. Cheers.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    An interesting thread. I got a sonos play 3 over Christmas with a free bridge. Today I ordered a 2 bay synology nas with 2 x 3tb wd red hard drives and a Sonos play 1 speaker. If that sounds ok I will get another so I can either use them as a stereo pair or put 1 in each of the kids rooms. ( my wife likes the idea of switching them on from downstairs to get them out of bed for school!) They really are good but once you get started you can spend £££.
    Obviously the nas is also for use as a back up for photos having had a previous hd failure a few years ago. Not good.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    merkin wrote:
    An interesting thread. I got a sonos play 3 over Christmas with a free bridge. Today I ordered a 2 bay synology nas with 2 x 3tb wd red hard drives and a Sonos play 1 speaker. If that sounds ok I will get another so I can either use them as a stereo pair or put 1 in each of the kids rooms. ( my wife likes the idea of switching them on from downstairs to get them out of bed for school!) They really are good but once you get started you can spend £££.
    Obviously the nas is also for use as a back up for photos having had a previous hd failure a few years ago. Not good.
    Really?
    6Tb of music really?
    Go on. Convince me that you bought it all.

IMHO, too much emphasis on source material and not enough on quality and listening experience.
    You are considering stereo? i thought we had moved on from the '60s.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • merkin
    No. 6tb is really 3tb storage, mirrored (backed up) . A few years ago I lost a hard drive and all our of baby photos of my daughter were lost. Luckily I got to make another baby so no harm done, but what with lots of cycling by me and my wife getting older that is no longer a viable option. So NAS will be used for accessible and, hopefully, safe storage for all the family computers as well as music, photos and a lot of video. My 500 gb pc hard drive is full now with a combination of video, music and photos.
    A combination of odd shaped rooms, working in construction and ear wax means stereo is not fully appreciated in my house. Maybe once the kids have left home and my wife decides to go off in search of a greek waiter or whatever menopausal women do I will get my ears syringed and it will be worth treating myself to full stereo.
    Realistically I like the idea of the kids having the mono play 1 speakers in their rooms. Good enough quality sound (hopefully) for their fairly small rooms and I can turn the volume down from the sofa without resorting to the traditional screaming up the stairs as they enter their teens.
    Plus it is a gadget for me to play with.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    That would normally be an acceptable response. Especially on a cycling forum.

But not in an audiophile thread. Sorry.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I recently dipped my toe into the "hi fi pool" after an absence of over 25 years. Last time around I was assured that we were so close to perfection, and "if I could only stretch to a few hundred pounds more..." Now it's a case of "if you could just go the extra thousand Sir". As my ears are 25 years older I just dug out my old kit and I'm having fun exploring music via Spotify and one of these
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • tim_wand
    merkin wrote:
    No. 6tb is really 3tb storage, mirrored (backed up) . A few years ago I lost a hard drive and all our of baby photos of my daughter were lost. Luckily I got to make another baby so no harm done, but what with lots of cycling by me and my wife getting older that is no longer a viable option. So NAS will be used for accessible and, hopefully, safe storage for all the family computers as well as music, photos and a lot of video. My 500 gb pc hard drive is full now with a combination of video, music and photos.
    A combination of odd shaped rooms, working in construction and ear wax means stereo is not fully appreciated in my house. Maybe once the kids have left home and my wife decides to go off in search of a greek waiter or whatever menopausal women do I will get my ears syringed and it will be worth treating myself to full stereo.
    Realistically I like the idea of the kids having the mono play 1 speakers in their rooms. Good enough quality sound (hopefully) for their fairly small rooms and I can turn the volume down from the sofa without resorting to the traditional screaming up the stairs as they enter their teens.

This is exactly what I am looking to do, for the same reasons, Can you comment on how easy it was to set up, I m okay with the SONOS side of things its just the NAS . I suppose it just goes by Ethernet connections into the same router and therefore is all available on the same network.

I m going to download the SONOS ap to my smart phone and use that as the main controller and use SPOTIFY premium as my main music source.

Thinking of a PLAY3 or 5 in the house and then a PLAY 1 In the shed for Turbo/Sufferfest.

I ve go last years pay rise coming back dated at the end of the month to fund this, Did you go straight into running Network Access Storage as you music server or did you have the Sonos system first and then add the NAS to it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tim wand wrote:
    merkin wrote:

This is exactly what I am looking to do, for the same reasons, Can you comment on how easy it was to set up, I m okay with the SONOS side of things its just the NAS . I suppose it just goes by Ethernet connections into the same router and therefore is all available on the same network.

I m going to download the SONOS ap to my smart phone and use that as the main controller and use SPOTIFY premium as my main music source.

Thinking of a PLAY3 or 5 in the house and then a PLAY 1 In the shed for Turbo/Sufferfest.

I ve go last years pay rise coming back dated at the end of the month to fund this, Did you go straight into running Network Access Storage as you music server or did you have the Sonos system first and then add the NAS to it?

I would have a look at the Sonos forums as some NAS work better with them than others
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tim_wand
    Have just joined the SONOS forum, all very jingoistic, but can see a fair few users are using QNAP from the stickie thread at the top, Think this is the way I am going to go but probably only single bay with 2TB.

The guy in my local independent will set up and format the NAS for me, so I m just going to suck it and see.

I set up a lap top to run Trainer Road and Sufferfest in the shed before Christmas and with the help of various forumites (DW300, Nap and MarkP90 ,) managed to bodge my way through that, so I suspect by bugging various others on here and the Sonus forum I ll get there.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If you can stretch to it, get a dual bay and run the two drives as mirrors (RAID 1). A hard drive will fail at some point - I guarantee it. This, at least, means your data is on the other drive. It is not a true backup (fire and theft are not going to be recoverable), but it is a good start.

WD Red drives are excellent for home NAS usage - worth the extra expense for sure.

I use QNAP personally and in business (high end audio installation) and they are exceptionally reliable and powerful.
  • pinno
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Anyone thinking of buying a Sonos Play 1....I was almost tempted...I have a Sonos Amp hooked into the home cinema set up...AWESOME sound from ridiculously overpriced home cinema set-up...and a Play 3 in the kitchen....

In my opinion, and remember, that's all it is.....the Play 1 is an overpriced ipod speaker....too small, no humph for real music...save the cash for a bit longer and buy a 3...WAY superior sound...just altogether more substantial for bass etc.......plus, again, only my opinion....Napster unlimited for a tenner a month is great value..you can download as much stuff to your mobile for offline play in the car etc...and the library of artists is the most complete I have found....albeit NO ONE seems to have got Zep or AC/DC to sign up to any of them!!!

But Trainer Road, in the garage, Napster thro laptop, and decent speakers..or the Play 3 make Sufferfests pass in a haze!!!!

Setting up NAS etc is to be honest a lot of trouble unless you have LOADS of music on them...in that case, they do link into Sonos quite easily!! He said!!!
  • merkin
    I haven't received the nas and hard drives yet, only ordered them yesterday. I have to be honest and say I am a bit apprehensive about setting it up as I don't always have much of a clue with computers and I have heard they can be a bit techy.
    Even a trained monkey could get Sonos up and running without any problems. Get the app on your phone,tablet or pc then simply plug bridge into router, speakers into wall sockets and press a couple of buttons. That is it. I already had the play 3 and bridge up and running and added a play 1 today. For the size the play 1 is surprisingly good. A friend has the play sub and says it is expensive but great. I haven't heard it myself and at £600 it is unlikely I will ever hear it in my house. Currys have the play speakers set up for you on a live display to mess about with and compare if you want to try them out.
  • tim_wand

The joy of seeing this thread resurrected was knowing you d be along soon Pina :D
  • pinno
    tim wand wrote:

The joy of seeing this thread resurrected was knowing you d be along soon Pina :D

I had insomnia.
  • tim_wand
    tim wand wrote:

I had insomnia.

Great track, One of Faithless' best , sounds so much better in FLAC than 320mbps.

How was Barcelona. Bloody expensive from what I remember.
  • pinno
    tim wand wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    Zzz...

I had insomnia.

blah blah...FLAC than 320mbps....ecstacy induced heart failure track...blah blah

How was Barcelona. Bloody expensive from what I remember.

Warning: Way off topic (thank Christ)
    Still here (Costa Brava), saw the game yesterday and will be in Barcelona Tuesday. You can go a little off track and eat reasonably cheaply or buy stuff from the Mercato.
    The Costa Brava is Porsche's, Ferrari's and eye wateringly expensive (but we found a big Lidl, ha ha - how ironic).
  • tim_wand
    Just an update.

In case Pinarello is having trouble sleeping.

Got the Sonos (Play 3 and Play 1 for the shed) and its the absolute dogs!!!!

Very easy to set up and operate.

Wont be bothering with a NAS drive as I ve got a Spotify Premium account and access to 75% of all the music out there. Loving it.

Just going to buy a separate hard drive to back up the sentimental data I don't wont to loose rather than get anything network attached.
  • pinno
    tim wand wrote:
    Just an update.

...In case Pinarello is having trouble sleeping...

Brilliant, thanks Tim. No more insomnia.