Which Colnago

avababy24
avababy24 Posts: 162
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Window shopping really, well maybe but I've narrowed down my next potential frame purchase to one of these...

http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/m24b181 ... range-2014

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... tAod8VcAQg

What's the main design/ride style difference between the 2 frame styles and I would prefer the M10 in Nero but can't seem to find any in the white ones price range so I'm thinking stump up the extra for the newer C59 black/orange ?

Any opinions ?

Comments

• Head to Mike at Maestro he'll sort you out and will save you money.
    maestro-uk.com
    63 miles to go and the break is up the road
  • seagulljez wrote:
    Head to Mike at Maestro he'll sort you out and will save you money.
    maestro-uk.com

Those listed prices seem to be much higher than anywhere else.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    seagulljez wrote:
    maestro-uk.com

Have you realised that the prices are in Euro's?
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • avababy24
    I've dropped him an email with a couple of questions so I'll see if he gets back to me. Just wonder what the delivery time might be on the c59 in that colour scheme ?
  • Mike will give you an honest answer on how long, and yes the prices will be cheaper than anywhere else unless someone is trying to get rid of a frame and you are lucky to get the size and colour you want.
    Hope this helps you find what you want
    63 miles to go and the break is up the road
  • Coach H wrote:
    seagulljez wrote:
    maestro-uk.com

Have you realised that the prices are in Euro's?

Yes, and exclusive of VAT
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • avababy24
    Curious has to how long something in a new colour scheme would take to turn up from the factory anyone have any experience of colnago delivery times ?
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    It depends on the order book. I had one c59 which took close on 5 months, but that included summer during which production pretty much stops for a month. Another frame took just under 3 months. To be fair these days Colnago seems to have much better control over production times than historically and the lead time they give you is reasonably accurate.

My most recent c59 arrived in October and was just under 3 months from order to delivery. I don't know if lead times will drift out as they start to roll out the C60. (Apparently a steeper sloping top tube and BB30 bottom bracket - see weight weenies thread for details)
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have a couple of C59's and an M10, I've done about 3000 miles on the C59's and about 750 on the M10.

The M10 feels livelier and is slightly lighter, both ride like they are on rails as the steering is so reactive and positive.

The C59 seems to purr on long rides, whereas the M10 reacts like a scolded cat, not very scientific but the only way I can describe it.

The C59's are built in Italy whereas the M10 is built in the Giant factory under strict manufacturing standards by Colnago.

I always wonder about Maestro, Mike seems a very knowledgeable person about frames, I just wonder how he manages to get custom spray jobs done so easily when I have contacted the factory before and they seem very reluctant to do so. I know that Maestro did have the frames sprayed at some point in Belgium, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

For me I wanted my C59's built and sprayed in Italy, whereas the M10 I knew was built in the far east and was prepared to sacrifice it's heritage for something a little different.

So I would say it all boils down to what you want from the bike.

HTH
  • avababy24
    Thanks for the replies guys especially the comparison between the two. I've sent out a couple of emails, one been to Mike, so I'm just waiting on replies now, then take it from there. Any genaral guidelines for how much a deposit retailers generally ask for to secure an order ?
  • Also try TheBikeShop.de, they sell Colnago at competitive prices. You need to contact them to get a price but they are very responsive to e-mails even in English!

I recently ordered a Colnago AC-R from them, frame and forks only as this option does not seem to be available from any UK dealer (including Maestro who I enquired with). The frame should be available end Jan they didn't ask for a deposit.
  • avababy24
    Spoke with a shop today and was recommended a size 50 frame I'm 5'11" inside leg 32 and I currently ride a 54 Scott CR1. Have spoke with a friend today who has one and he thought I'd be a 52 ? What size have people got and why ?
  • I am 5' 9.5" and 30" inside leg and have gone for a 50s based on owning a 50s in the past which was v.comfortable. I would have thought you would be better on a 52.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    On your Scott what stem are you running and with how many spacers? you could be 50s or you could be 52s, no way of telling what's best if you want to replicate the position unless you say the Spacers and Headset info.
  • avababy24
    110 stem and one spacer
  • Velonutter
    avababy24 wrote:
    110 stem and one spacer

Similar to me and I ride a 50s, you'd need your saddle up an inch more than me though, so you'll be perfect with a 50s, 52s will be too big for you.
  • avababy24
    Next time I see my friend who has one I'll make him unwrap it from the dirty tarp it sits under so I can slide a leg over.
    Thanks again for the replies guys
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Here's the ETT, STA and HT (these are quite closely comparable IME as the Scott has quite a similar BB drop to the C59... I will double check as this can affect everything)

CR1 54(m) 545 74 160
    C59 50s 540 74 143
    C59 52s 550 73.57 161

The C59's press in headset cups probably add to the HT length by 2-3mm.

What's the stack height of the Headset topcap on the Scott, are you using the tall 15mm one?

If so...

It looks like on 50s you will be running about 20mm more spacers than currently, as the Acros Headset top is a few mm less stack than the 15mm scott one, and the headtube is 17mm less.

52s might be better for less spacers but you might have to run a shorter stem and if you went to 100mm for instance, that is too short really for the bike size.

If you aren't running the 15mm scott conical cap then you could simply be quids in with the 50s.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I've been trying out Colnagos recently - a 2-year old M10 (52 I am pretty sure) and a 2014 CX Zero 54cm. My LBS is getting me in a CLX 3.0 54cm to try as well. The 52 was too small and low for me. The CX Zero was almost exactly the same riding position, once I'd swopped the 120mm stem for a 100mm stem, as my current ride which is a CR1 (56cm). It is an original more racey Scott CR1 with 100mm stem (but I need all the spacers and a flipped stem to get myself comfortable!). I am 5'11" with a 33" inside leg and at my age I need a more upright position. I recently tried a Scott Addict 54cm and while it was quite rideable in that size I had a pretty sore back after 25 miles due to the 5cm lower bars but I am sure someone younger and racier and more used to that position would find it perfect. I would have thought a 52cm framed C59 would suit you - 50cm sounds just a little too compact! Best bet of course is to find a good LBS who stocks Colnagos and ask them to get one in from the distributor for you in your size to try out - and then buy from that LBS rather than go in search of a few pounds off elsewhere....
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Velonutter
    The best bet to do is taking the Geometry chart to a bit fitter like Adrian Timmis, I took my old Look a couple of years ago and got him to fit me perfect to that, then I showed him the geometry chart and he confirmed which was correct for me, that being the 50s.

I'm 5ft 10, not anywhere near as flexible as I would like to be as I have back troubles, I have a 31" inside leg and ride my bikes with a 110mm stem and the saddle at 72cm from the top to the centre of the BB

Although my C59's are both 50s (Sloping) as is my M10, I have two Colnago Masters in traditional both in 54cm and I have the exact set up on them as well.

I suppose I could have gone with a 52s and made it fit with a shorter stem and a lower saddle, it may have meant less spacers as the head tube is longer but I felt the 50s was the correct option.

Here's my 1st C59, the steerer has been cut now and it has been changed to SR, but it shows the geometry: -

c59_1.jpg

And here is my C59 Europcar, which has changed considerably, steerer cut, with Enve Classic 45 Wheels with CK Hubs and SR EPS: -

euroc59.jpg

Must get some updated photo's of these both now.
  • avababy24
    Currently working away from home but luckily I pass very close to the retailer I've been speaking to about the purchase. Having looked at a pic of the CR1 - which is actually in the CR1 thread in the commuter section tonight it does look like the larger spacer I'm currently running.
  • avababy24
    image_zps3de88a58.jpg
  • Caleido
    Caleido Posts: 21
    The 52s is the closest fit to your Scott. The difference in seat tube angle cancels out the top tube difference. You would be on 110 stem on both.

Spacer stack will also be very similar.
  • Caleido
    Velonutter, looking at your saddle position you would probably be better on a 52s with a different bar and a 110mm stem IMO.
  • Velonutter
    Caleido wrote:
    Velonutter, looking at your saddle position you would probably be better on a 52s with a different bar and a 110mm stem IMO.

The stem is 110mm, the bars are 3T Ergonovas and I find them very comfortably, reach from tip of saddle to where I normally ride on the hoods is 68.5cm, I'm going on what Adrian set me up with and after probably 7,500 miles since he did it I still find it very comfortable, with many 100+ events under my belt.

Can I ask why you think I would be better on the 52s?

I'm probably a bit of an odd shape. :shock: :lol:
  • Caleido
    Well you could obviously ride either. Just you have a lot of setback on the saddle, looks maxed out.

On a 52/50s the difference in reach between the frames is about 5mm. I could set you on a 110mm stem, saddle center rails and could lose the 5mm reach by using a bar like fsa or deda so your levers would be same distance from saddle. position would feel the same. You would also have less spacers. It would be a more aesthetically pleasing bike as in terms of spacers and setback you currently are at max.

The potential downside would be a slight increase in wheelbase, a choice made by your handling taste.
  • Velonutter
    Cheers Caleido, but I'm no youngster and don't have the greatest flexibility, personal choice is that I like the 3T Ergonova bars, I've used FSA not tried the Deda.

I'm quite a good descender, so I like sharp steering, one of the reasons I get on with the Colnagos so well.

I used to ride Ariones and Adrian tried to sort the comfort by trying to get me to rotate the sit bones, it worked but not fully, so I now ride the Fizik Kurve Chameleons and finally think I have sorted the problem. I don't race, but I do do a number of long events so comfort is important over style.
  • Caleido
    You probably wouldn't like the longer wheelbase then.

Arione's are odd saddles, I rarely find people that they work for but they're on so many bikes!

Something curved like a romin or aliante vs is good for encouraging pelvic rotation.

What was the problem you were trying to solve with the saddle?
  • Velonutter
    Caleido wrote:
    You probably wouldn't like the longer wheelbase then.

Arione's are odd saddles, I rarely find people that they work for but they're on so many bikes!

Something curved like a romin or aliante vs is good for encouraging pelvic rotation.

What was the problem you were trying to solve with the saddle?

I rode Ariones for a few years and always felt that my sit bones were bruised after long rides, tried the Fizik Snake Kurves and were much better but not perfect, then went through a massive try out of saddles and settled for a year on the Selle C2, but on the final day of last years L2p (400 miles in 4 days) my ass gave up on me, it was hell.

So went back to the Kurves and on the off chance tried a Chameleon, now so far that feels perfect but not done any century rides yet on it, but so far so good. If the Chameleon works out then great, otherwise might need to look at your suggestions.

Thanks for your advice, only a foolish man closes his mind :mrgreen:
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Here is a 52's C59 by way of a comparison

IMG_0776_zps202557fd.jpg
    image_zps20fd3eec.jpg

I am just under 5ft 10' and have a 32' inside leg.

BB to top of saddle = 738mm
    Saddle setback = 66mm
    Tip of saddle to centre of bars = 553mm (120mm stem)

Like Velonutter, I also have an M10 and agree with his comparison - the C59 definitely feels plusher but is no less efficient than the M10. One thing that I have noticed is that the quality of the clearcoat on both of my C59's (this one and my previous GDOB colourway) is far superior than that on my M10. The fact that my M10 is black probably means it shows up every minor scratch though...

Rich