Bike sizing - Customer or bike shop's responsibility ?

2»

Comments

• Slowbike wrote:
    Well - I went with my wife to look at getting her first road bike - we went to the LBS that had the brand she was after - she knew what she wanted, but did listen to the advice from the LBS. She tried different frame sizes and different models, gave feedback and even surprised the LBS with her flexibility. They advised her on where to concentrate on to evaluate the feel - being her first road bike she wasn't used to the reach or the drops, hence being able to get advise on what to look for was sensible.

Although he said he'd sell her whatever bike she asked for, his opinion on what suited differed to her desire.

Having weighed up what she wanted and what the LBS said she went with the LBS advice. Had she gone with her desire she'd've ended up with a racier frame that she wouldn't have felt comfortable on.

It is the right sized bike frame - a thorough bike fit may have tweaked the fit, but fits are not set in stone and they change as you develop as a rider.

Now she knows what a road bike feels like she can go in with a bit more confidence in selecting an appropriate bike with less expert advise.

Surely this is what good customer service is all about. Do you mind me asking what shop that was slowbike ?
  • anonmouse
    anonmouse Posts: 102
    You may be right Tom. I suppose the only way of finding out is trying a 54cm bike and seeing if the issues remain.

Maybe try a 56 with a taller headtube. In your sig it says you ride a Wilier Cento Uno. They have quite a small headtube and flexibility may be an issue for you. Having a 90mm stem on a bike doesn't necessarily mean its the wrong size. Depends on your leg to torso ratio and your flexibility. I've found Wiliers to be a bit of a big 56 though.
  • [/quote]

Maybe try a 56 with a taller headtube. In your sig it says you ride a Wilier Cento Uno. They have quite a small headtube and flexibility may be an issue for you. Having a 90mm stem on a bike doesn't necessarily mean its the wrong size. Depends on your leg to torso ratio and your flexibility. I've found Wiliers to be a bit of a big 56 though.[/quote]

Will bear that in mind.
    I'm going for a bike fit soon so it will be interesting to get some feedback re my present set up.