Best pedals for around £40?

2»

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Well if i had a Zee mech or Zee cranks i would feel disappointed if i didnt get laid. But with pedals im just not feeling the looks. They arent ugly by any means though. If i bought them they would be massive overkill anyway, they are DH pedals, and i ride XC.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Russyh wrote:
    With respect you're wrong. Saint Stuff helps you get laid, FACT

Wow, it doesn't mention that on the packaging! Result!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    It's shimano the instructions are in about ten different languages, read the French section. It's in there!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    CRC have had the Saints cheap for ages now. I think I would've bought a pair by now, if it wasn't for the gold end on the axle...
  • Kowalski675
    CitizenLee wrote:
    These are a few quid cheaper than the SuperStars, but are exactly the same pedal...

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=84&p=940&

Are the Superstars and Carboncycles definitely the same pedal? They look it, but Carboncycles say theirs are 95mm x 95 x 17, but Superstar say theirs are 105 x100 x 17. Anyone compared them side by side?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    SuperStar must have the size listed wrong, or measure differently, as they're all based on the HT AN01

SuperStar even say it on their website (on the pedal rebuild kit page). Plus it's pretty well known that HT make pedals for loads of companies.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Angus Young
    Russyh wrote:
    It's shimano the instructions are in about ten different languages, read the French section. It's in there!

Ah, of course! :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    CitizenLee wrote:
    SuperStar must have the size listed wrong, or measure differently, as they're all based on the HT AN01

SuperStar even say it on their website (on the pedal rebuild kit page). Plus it's pretty well known that HT make pedals for loads of companies.

Cheers, I figured it was probably a typo on one website or the other. Carboncycles version gets my vote then - cheaper and more subtle logos.
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Saints or MG1's. (CRC)
  • Kowalski675
    The Saints just seem to be a bit overly burly for non hardcore trail use, even though they're a good price.
  • Angus Young
    I'm going to take a little nibble at my previous words and say that the Superstars in anodised orange look great on my daughter's blue Scott Spark.
  • Kowalski675
    I'm going to take a little nibble at my previous words and say that the Superstars in anodised orange look great on my daughter's blue Scott Spark.

Orange and blue work together - opposite sides of the colour wheel.

220420112468_zps38984b96.jpg
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Just ordered some Saint flats, while they may be overkill for trail, I really don't think that anyone would notice the 60-odd gram difference.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Kowalski675
    Lewis A wrote:
    Just ordered some Saint flats, while they may be overkill for trail, I really don't think that anyone would notice the 60-odd gram difference.

CAWT.

I still don't like the gold bits though... :(
  • Angus Young
    Orange and blue work together - opposite sides of the colour wheel.

Orange brake and gear cables next, I think.
    Lewis A wrote:

I had both the Saints and the Nanos on my desk yesterday and, holding them in either hand, I was hard pressed to tell the difference in weight. The Saints certainly look as if they should weigh more (and the specs say 53g more) but I think anyone would struggle to tell them apart blindfolded let alone when you're pedalling your tits off on the trail.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Orange brake and gear cables next, I think.
    I had both the Saints and the Nanos on my desk yesterday and, holding them in either hand, I was hard pressed to tell the difference in weight. The Saints certainly look as if they should weigh more (and the specs say 53g more) but I think anyone would struggle to tell them apart blindfolded let alone when you're pedalling your tits off on the trail.

So, you should always go for the Nanos because they are coloured. :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    So, you should always go for the Nanos because they are coloured. :wink:

Unless you're not a tart, and prefer classy stealth black... :wink:
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I use Saints. Worth the money. A more sophisticated product than my old Superstars.
    With the washers removed and the spikes set at the high position the grip from sticky rubber like Five Ten shoes is insane.

What's the name of the British company making flat pedals ? (not Hope)
  • Angus Young
    adamfo wrote:
    I use Saints. Worth the money. A more sophisticated product than my old Superstars.

To be fair to the Nanos, when you have both in your hands they feel every bit as robust (sophisticated?) as the Saints. Both pedals feel as if they'll last forever.
  • Kowalski675
    Long term reviews of the Nanos say that they last well.
  • gt-arrowhead
    I hate the whole stealth thing. I used to love it, but now i like bright colours.

I cant wait to get my hands on a pair of Nanos now. 3 weeks of eating no lunch should do it :lol:
  • Angus Young
    I cant wait to get my hands on a pair of Nanos now. 3 weeks of eating no lunch should do it :lol:

You'll be O.K. They send you a packet of Haribos with the pedals.
  • Kowalski675
    I hate the whole stealth thing. I used to love it, but now i like bright colours.

That's cos you're young and brash ;) Although I can't really talk with a candy orange bike with metalflake black wheels, two others with candy lime green wheels and one with over a thousand quid of mostly candy magenta powdercoat on (or the MTB jersey and shorts I got for christmas), and I do covet a bright orange Santa Cruz 5010, lol...

Scuffs on black pedals are easier to touch up though, and I'd always avoid red anodising on anything - it just fades too quickly.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Red ano has been good so far for me. My headset, seat clamp, and my chainrings are all the same colour as when i bought them. You just have to make sure you buy quality parts. Cheap stuff has a very off red.
  • Kowalski675
    Red ano has been good so far for me. My headset, seat clamp, and my chainrings are all the same colour as when i bought them. You just have to make sure you buy quality parts. Cheap stuff has a very off red.

Even quality red anodising fades faster than other colours - the red dyes are just less stable (same as with red paints - hence all the pink 1990s Vauxhalls you see around :lol: ). And you only bought those bits five minutes ago - give 'em a year's UV exposure and compare 'em to new ones ;)