Singletrack bikes *Warning*

Matt-r8
Matt-r8 Posts: 298
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Went to order a Reverb from the site today, got the confirmation and final price of £169, all good. Moved on to check out, and there was no warning, but the price had gone up to £212. This was on the final page where i was about to enter card details. I emailed them and I got a response saying that there were only a few at that price, more would be in in the New Year, but they would be normal price.
Bunch of jokers, I was after quite a few things from their site as well. Not now.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matt-r8
    Why?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I blame Orange
  • cooldad
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    Why?

You are obviously too young.
    viewtopic.php?t=12692260

It's always Wiggle's fault.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • How could you have a final price if you havent paid for it?
  • Matt-r8
    It'd confirmed my order, taken delivery address and I was about to put in card details. There wasn't even a warning to advise of the change of price. Just the order details at the top of the page with the amended price.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Is it VAT being added? It would take the price to around there.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Matt-r8
    No, that was with VAT. Don't really know exactly what happened and they wouldn't answer the phone either.
    Have read good reviews about the company as well, but for me, i'll not be ordering. I generally spend a couple of £k a year on bikes and bits as well, so their loss imo.

This is what i got on the site. I screen shot it all as well.

A summary of the items on your order is printed below. 

QTY 
Make/Model etc 
Total Price 
ROCK SHOX Reverb Seatpost MMX 
£199.99 
Voucher Code: FIFTEEN2014 15% OFF 
Remove? 
£-30.00 
Total price of goods 
£169.99 
Shipping & Handling (P&P) 
(United Kingdom) 
£0.00 
ORDER TOTAL 
£169.99 

but when I got to the check out seconds later, there was a totally different price and a £40 price hike.

Item ID Description QTY Price Total 
13870 ROCK SHOX Reverb Seatpost MMX 2013 30.9mm/380mm - RH Lever - 125mm 308380 RSP8005012 1 £249.99 £249.99 
Voucher Voucher Code: FIFTEEN2014 15% OFF 1 £-37.4985 £-37.4985 
Shipping Total: £0.00 
Order Total: £212.49
  • Matt-r8 wrote:
    It'd confirmed my order, taken delivery address and I was about to put in card details. There wasn't even a warning to advise of the change of price. Just the order details at the top of the page with the amended price.
    Until a payment is made, there is no contract... an online company can change the price as and when.

Sounds like you werent the only person wanting to buy at the cheap price and someone else paid for the item before you.. pita but it happens!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Same as walking into a shop, seeing a price on the shelf but getting to the checkout and it's different.

The shop doesn't have to honor the ticketed price, they can refuse to sell to/serve you at any point until money has exchanged.
  • Matt-r8
    Really, i was under the impression they had to honour the price.
    My argument is, they changed the price without any warning. Doesn't matter now, just be cautious.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cooldad wrote:
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    Why?

You are obviously too young.
    viewtopic.php?t=12692260

It's always Wiggle's fault.

I'd forgotten how funny that thread was :lol:
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'd never seen the Wiggle thread before. Excellent stuff.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Briggo wrote:
    Same as walking into a shop, seeing a price on the shelf but getting to the checkout and it's different.

The shop doesn't have to honor the ticketed price, they can refuse to sell to/serve you at any point until money has exchanged.

this is true as the price is an invitation to treat. However, they must then change the price on the shelf to reflect what it is at the till. advertising products at a different price to what you see at the till is illegal
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    POAH wrote:
    However, they must then change the price on the shelf to reflect what it is at the till. advertising products at a different price to what you see at the till is illegal
    Hogwash, it is not advertising so the relevant acts do not apply.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    The Rookie wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    However, they must then change the price on the shelf to reflect what it is at the till. advertising products at a different price to what you see at the till is illegal
    Hogwash, it is not advertising so the relevant acts do not apply.

you'll find it is

Retailers have an obligation to ensure that for every product:
    1. There is a price tag on the product or in the nearest available position on the edge of the shelf. The tag should not be obscured or illegible.
    2. The price on the tag must reflect the price charged at the till

mistakes happen and these have to be changed ASAP
  • The Rookie
    That may be an obligation, but is not advertising nor is it illegal (as such, though other offences could apply such as the Fraud act)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    The Rookie wrote:
    That may be an obligation, but is not advertising nor is it illegal (as such, though other offences could apply such as the Fraud act)

it is illegal - you can't price something for £5 on the shelf then have it ring up as £10 at the till.
  • The Rookie
    As pointed out above, yes you can.
  • cooldad
    A mistake is not fraud, as there is no intent to deceive.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    POAH wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

it is illegal - you can't price something for £5 on the shelf then have it ring up as £10 at the till.

You cannot do it on purpose. But incorrectly labelled items are not illegal, and the shop does not after honour the price if they notice it is wrong.
  • poah
    The Rookie wrote:

no you can't - sure you can have mistakes which would then have to be rectified once you found out but you can't keep the price different once you have been made aware of the mistake. Misleading is a criminal offence.
  • cooldad
    As this is not what happened to the OP, the point is somewhat moot.

Or in other words, boohoo.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    POAH wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

no you can't - sure you can have mistakes which would then have to be rectified once you found out but you can't keep the price different once you have been made aware of the mistake. Misleading is a criminal offence.
    No, but Fraud would be, and you would have to show Mens rae which would be hard.

Best to stick to posting about stuff you know.
  • The OP has obviously never booked flights on RyanAir
  • Matt-r8
    I have, on several occasions. Ryan Air highlight all changes. And there's a box explaining why.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I am Orange
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    Until a payment is made, there is no contract... .

Not true - offer and acceptance constitute a contract and that was clearly there - they offered a price and it was accepted. When you sign a contract to buy a house you have not paid for it - but it is a contract.

When you pick up a newspaper then you have technically accepted the offer - it is a contract.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    When you pick up a newspaper then you have technically accepted the offer - it is a contract.

So if you pick up a newspaper, put it back down and walk off can the shop go after you for breach of contract?

My simplistic understanding of this issue is that people think they are are one step ahead of where they actually are in the process.

The shop is not making an offer which you accept by taking the item to the till; the shop is advertising, you are making the offer by taking the item to the till and the shop accepts by accepting payment. Up until that point it is not binding on either side, or you couldn't change your mind at the till either - when you realize you haven't got enough pocket change for Razzle and baby milk and put the baby milk back you would be committing an offence if that were the case....

When you buy a house you have a contract - when you sign a contract, that it slightly different. As it would be tedious to have a signed contract every time you want a bar of chocolate you don't have to so you never end up with a written contract, certain parts of the process for the sale of goods are taken as read with no clauses/covenants etc...