Sunday Dec 29th is skittles day

FransJacques
FransJacques Posts: 2,148
Did anyone get out early this AM and find things a little..ummm slippery?

3 of us in our group and 2 hit the deck. Saw 2 other groups suffer a similar fate.

Hope everyone got around their training runs safely.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    6 Out 5 down. Only man left standing. Praise be to those new Conti's.

Possibly the only ride out this year were I didn't half wheel any one :D
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Yeah, I was out in a group of 5 and 3 of us came down. I came down again later after 3 had gone home.

No damage done.

Judging from facebook it was rife!!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Tim, interesting your comment about Conti tyres b/c all those who fell in my group were riding Gatorskins or Harshells - so we had a healthy discussion about them.

Basically we all concluded (or convinced each other) that the rubber is so hard, when the temp approaches zero they lose friction and become slippery. That's my experience as well and for this reason I train in the winter on softer rubber but with a solid anti-puncture belt. I was riding 25 and 28mm Ultremo ZXs and didn't slip. Don't know if this is any kind of coincidence.

I remember this issue also occurred at the dawn of elastomer suspension forks which would behave totally different at 0C then they did at 25C.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.