Ashtanga

TakeTurns
TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
Try doing it in a studio heated to 30 degrees.

I love Ashtanga. Great fun and challenging. As your technique improves with time, you'll see greater improvements.

I could go pretty deep as to it's benefits. Flexibility and core being just a few.

Comments

• dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Perfect, was looking for something to fill my days off with. Now you've saved me the effort of researching. Thanks Hatter.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • I just signed up for 20 consecutive days of Bikram (hot yoga). A wee bit terrified. Keen to see the results though and how it helps my back pain.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Surely the hot bit is just a total red herring?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    Surely the hot bit is just a total red herring?

I meant over time, seeing the benefits of strengthening the core (from any form of pilates/yoga) and seeing how much in influences the back. Which is a lot.
  • okgo
    Agree, just not sure what the need for 'bikram' is.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    okgo wrote:
    Agree, just not sure what the need for 'bikram' is.
    Its helps people make money out of people.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    The heat helps to obtain a deeper stretch within the postures. I believe it also raises the heart rate, burns more calories. Try it before knocking it. It may possibly be the hardest workout you have ever done.
  • buckles
    edten wrote:
    The heat helps to obtain a deeper stretch within the postures. I believe it also raises the heart rate, burns more calories. Try it before knocking it. It may possibly be the hardest workout you have ever done.

I could just as easily raise my heart rate and burn more calories by having a walk to the shop to get some milk or going upstairs for a poo. It's irrelevant, but I suppose it makes a good selling point.

I'm not disputing the fact that being warm is obviously a good thing when it comes to stretching, which is why I do yoga or post-ride stretches at home in a heated room rather than outside in the cold. But let's be realistic about it - you aren't going to use significantly more energy by stretching in a room that's a bit warmer than normal.

You're right it could be the hardest workout I've ever done, but for the same reason I'd find doing a turbo session in a hot room with no fan much harder than the same session in a cold room with a fan. Exactly the same amount of work but feels harder due to the heat, does that make it better?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • TakeTurns
    Buckles wrote:
    edten wrote:

I could just as easily raise my heart rate and burn more calories by having a walk to the shop to get some milk or going upstairs for a poo. It's irrelevant, but I suppose it makes a good selling point.

I'm not disputing the fact that being warm is obviously a good thing when it comes to stretching, which is why I do yoga or post-ride stretches at home in a heated room rather than outside in the cold. But let's be realistic about it - you aren't going to use significantly more energy by stretching in a room that's a bit warmer than normal.

You're right it could be the hardest workout I've ever done, but for the same reason I'd find doing a turbo session in a hot room with no fan much harder than the same session in a cold room with a fan. Exactly the same amount of work but feels harder due to the heat, does that make it better?

Oh dear, how wrong and naive you are. What a bullcrap post.
  • okgo
    I tend to agree that the heat makes little odds to calorie burn and its just gives the fatties a sense of more achievement when drenched with sweat.
  • buckles
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Buckles wrote:
    edten wrote:

That's quite funny coming from you, considering the amount of utter tripe I've seen you post.

If you know better then please elaborate. Or are you so superior and knowledgeable that you simply don't need to provide any explanations as to why you disagree with other people's comments?
  • TakeTurns
    Buckles wrote:
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Buckles wrote:
    edten wrote:

That's quite funny coming from you, considering the amount of utter tripe I've seen you post.

If you know better then please elaborate. Or are you so superior and knowledgeable that you simply don't need to provide any explanations as to why you disagree with other people's comments?

Cry me a river. Why would I make an effort to help you?
    I'll let you drown in your ignorance.
  • okgo
  • edten
    Buckles wrote:
    edten wrote:

The heat (hot not warm) helps to achieve a deeper stretch and probably allows for greater compression when doing compression poses. We're not talking a warm lounge here. The heart rate does soar when doing poses such as balancing stick pose and triangle pose. That's very helpful for someone who does not do other forms of exercise, possibly not so beneficial for a cyclist who is already doing HIT.

You come across as having very limited knowledge of yoga, heated or not as well as being rather angry. All the best though.
  • edten
    okgo wrote:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/52601 ... -are-cold/

Fact? Let's not get too distracted with calorie burning. That's not the primary reason (if at all?) for the heat.
  • TakeTurns
    okgo wrote:

Right...and I wonder who wrote that article. :roll:

There is a direct correlation between body temperature and basal metabolic rate. Do look it up. It's backed up by real science.
  • buckles
    Right, so having a different opinion to someone else means you're rather angry. OK, sorry about that.
    TakeTurns wrote:

If you know better then please elaborate. Or are you so superior and knowledgeable that you simply don't need to provide any explanations as to why you disagree with other people's comments?[/quote]

Cry me a river. Why would I make an effort to help you?
    I'll let you drown in your ignorance.[/quote]
    I didn't ask for your help. I wanted you to explain what it is I've said that you disagree with. Since you seem incapable of doing that, you're obviously just as ignorant as you're making me out to be.
  • buckles
    That's your misinterpretation of my writing style. I'm actually pretty chilled. I'm not sure why you think it's OK to call someone's opinion 'bullcrap' without any explanation but you don't think it's OK for someone to question that...

BTW I thought it was pretty obvious the carbon bike on a turbo thing was a wind-up...
  • buckles
    Anyway... we were talking about yoga. We're now talking about people misinterpreting my posts as angry, aggressive, abrasive, et cetera. Can we get back on topic?
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    Yes!

The place I'm going to tonight says, "The studio is kept at a temperature of approximately 105°F (40°C). The heat warms up your body facilitating safer stretching for your muscles. The heat also promotes sweating which in turn flushes toxins from the body."

Personally, anything that is slightly different from the norm will keep my attention and interest, hence this and not other forms of yoga. I prefer Pilates as it seems to be less w*nk but it remains to be seen.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I've done Bikram before. I enjoyed it but do not go and do it, as I once did, right off the back of a training session on the bike. My heart rate wasn't back to normal and I felt quite light-headed. IMHO normal yoga would be just as beneficial.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --