Turbo or Rollers help!

tomvaleo
tomvaleo Posts: 20
Hi, I'm a 19 year old cyclist who started cycling last summer with the ambition to start racing in the spring and I am puzzled between getting rollers or a turbo trainer. I'm not bothered by the threat of falling over on rollers or the noise levels of a turbo.
I have seen a few posts about it but it would be nice to read updated thoughts on the discussion.
I also have a budget of around £150.

Which one is going to improve my cycling the most and could anyone give me advice on which way to go?

Many thanks
Tom

Comments

• dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    tomvaleo wrote:
    Which one is going to improve my cycling the most ..

The turbo is.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    For balance I’m going to go with rollers. I loathed my turbo – dull as ditch water, sold it on eBay in the end. Rollers are fun, you need to concentrate - so riding is a bit of a challenge, and the new ones have variable resistance settings. I love finding a good stage of the TDF or Giro on YouTube, sticking some loud house music on my iPod and hammering away for 90 minutes. I have a little clock on the wall and chuck in loads of interval sessions. They’re great fun.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I'm lucky I have both, and do use both each week.

If i'm doing efforts that will be all out for a period of time, such as repetitive intervals or an FTP test, I use my turbo. You can just focus on generating the power and 'suffering' without worrying about falling off. No doubt some people do those types of workouts on rollers, but I wouldn't.

The rollers I use for cadence work, or sessions that are a steady power state over a longer time like a 45 minute recovery ride, evening endurance ride when its hammering down with rain or a L3 session. Basically anything I wont be hanging over the bars at the end. They are not as boring as a turbo.

If I only had one I would have a turbo, as I can do all out intervals on them. Yes you can get a resistance unit and yes you can get a fork mount for the rollers, but it all adds up cost wise.

If you could borrow a turbo and a set of rollers off a club mate I would recommend it. See what works for you.
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    willbevan wrote:
    If i'm doing efforts that will be all out for a period of time, such as repetitive intervals or an FTP test, I use my turbo. You can just focus on generating the power and 'suffering' without worrying about falling off. No doubt some people do those types of workouts on rollers, but I wouldn't.

This.

If you want to try and be in some shape in spring you're gona have to work hard, and intervals where you're knocking out 120-180% of your FTP are far safer and more productive on a turbo.

This whole idea of getting bored on a turbo is dumb. Not every turbo session is a Zone 2 or 3 workout, and in fact I avoid them. A turbo is for developing your power, and the only thing that should be going through your mind when doing those session is "AAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH .. shitimgonadie".
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Two words:

Turbo and Sufferfest.

I have just done Downwards Spiral and by god it was hard (Tacx turbo on resistance 7 and using the top end of the gear range banging out 90 - 100 rpm cadence).
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Turbo: very dull in my experience due to rigidity and an experience not at all like road riding, as mentioned though very good for all out efforts with interval training as you won't fall off when you black out.
    Major downside is the wear on your tyre, you need a dedicated turbo bike or wheel or need to change the tyre before using it (honestly though who would do that ?).

The most versatile solution is Planet X/sportcrafters/cycleops rollers with inbuilt resistance unit. Used as rollers for recovery/spinning/balance/pedalling efficiency work. Then use a fork stand if you want to use it for those hardcore "edge of blackout" intervals.

The rollers don't wear your tyre like a turbo so you literally just set your bike on and pedal away, this convenience shouldn't be overlooked if you are busy and set up time could put you off doing a session.

I did a lot of ftp to ftp+30% intervals on rollers last season, am getting a fork stand now just to allow me to focus on intervals with no risk of coming off.
  • cheers guys thanks for the help, much appreciated!

think i will go down the turbo route as, thinking about it, im gonna be doing mainly interval work on it :)

But I will buy rollers at a later date as both training systems seem to have there positives
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    what about this one, I think its the same as the Cycleops
    http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/YDTR ... ke-trainer
    I have the LeMond Revolution but it is very loud I think 100db, feels most road like of all the turbos I have tried
    no rear wheel or special tyre required
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    dw300 wrote:
    tomvaleo wrote:
    Which one is going to improve my cycling the most ..

The turbo is.
    +1 for this.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Halfords are doing a good price, £74, on an Elite magnetic trainer at the moment. Worth giving one a try at that price
    Should leave you with some money left over to get a Heart Rate Monitor, Ebay, and a fan in Argos.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    which will improve your cycling = rollers!
    they will improve your bike handing ability, including holding a straight line and cadence smoothness, all at the same time as getting a good workout.
    something like these http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TRPXFIXMR/ ... st-rollers are perfect Unfortunately for you, these were on sale just before christmas for £150.
    the resistance give you as hard a workout as you like
    regards,
    dbb