the Obree Way

Noel PT
Noel PT Posts: 627
If you've read or train using Graeme Obree's "way" or own a WATT Bike I wouldn't appreciate your input.

Graeme has his own idea of what the perfect turbo should be and he is pretty instant on a magnetic turbo with no adjustment as you'll know.

I have a WATT Bike and its predominantly air resistance, which leaves me with a rather large problem if I plan on following Graeme's unique style of training.

So I wish I had a straight forward question, but I guess I'm just looking for somebody to tell me its all gonna be ok and Graeme is only joking and I don't need to bin my pride and joy.

Well we all know that's not the case - Graeme makes no bones about it - "magnetic or nothing" and I don't plan on binning my WATT Bike

Has anyone found a work around or got a possible solution?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    imho magnetic trainers are shite, fluid ones have much better road feel and have no need for variable resistance settings

obree was good at tt/pursuit, but there's no reason to suppose the way he trained is especially good/bad for anyone else, just as following froome's or wiggin's training is not going to turn the rest of us into tdf contenders

a given power output is the same irrespective of resistance method, wouldn't get hung up on it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Yes you do need to bin your Wattbike, but for ecological reason they can't just be thrown in a skip. Luckily I have recently just set up a company disposing of Wattbikes in an environmentally sound manner, and better still from the punter's point of view, it's subsidised, so it costs you nothing. Just PM me the address to send the van to. :D
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    Sungod, you've confirmed what I was hoping - thanks.

dw300 thanks for you kind assistance with disposing of my WATT Bike, but thanks to sungod I won't need to bin it after all.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Noel PT wrote:
    Has anyone found a work around or got a possible solution?

Ignoring it would probably work pretty well...
  • What I think Obree is getting at is that it should be a fair test, so consistency of the setup is key to him - above all else.

I don't know much about watt bikes but the points he makes about fluid trainers are fair, and it does stop it being a completely fair test (a fair test being one in which only one variable changes; if the level of resistance changes this becomes another changed variable)