Planet X or Ribble for a first carbon

Robd263
Robd263 Posts: 52
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

I've been riding for a few years and started a few sportives last year. I have a 8 year old Dawes 500.

I now have a £1000 cycle scheme voucher and about £280 to put in my self.

I know the advice is really to try bikes first and I have tried a few but I just can't tell the difference with most. I'm therfore after a recommendation. I'm looking for something to use on sportives and just fun weekend riding. No plans to race.

Having done a lot of research I have narrowed it down to planet x or Ribble as they seem to offer the most value for money although I'll admit the different components could not be more confusing.

The bikes I am considering are the planet x pro carbon or rt57 and the Ribble r872 (although most of the Ribble bikes look like they would suit my needs).

I am looking for any advice on these bikes as to what people think would suit my needs, and offers the better components etc and from anyone with experience e of these bikes.

I'm 174cm and just under 12 stone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rob

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    I have ridden the Planet X sl pro carbon for several hundred miles and have owned and ridden a Ribble Sportive Racing carbon (2009 original model) for the past 4 years. There is not much difference between the frames in terms of comfort/responsiveness etc. though the SL Pro carbon frame has been out a year or so longer than the Ribble. Whether that is a good or bad point is debatable. I have found the Ribble enjoyable and with some decent wheels and components it makes for a light bike. Paint finish on the bike has held up extremely well. Original headset(Ribble unbranded) was cr*p and rusted after a few months as did the replacement(these frames seem to collect water inside after wet rides-recommend some sealant around the back of the seat post to minimise this). I have now switched to using decent branded headsets tho' which have lasted longer.
    Personally speaking, having owned one for several years I can't complain about the Ribble but if it was my £1k going down on a new bike I would be more likely to buy this :
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec040970
    Only £950, granted it comes with Sora but the Tarmac is a well regarded frame and Specialized's warranty is a plus point. Ribble don't really publish warranty information on their frames and while that doesn't mean they won't deal with and resolve frame defects you are more in the lap of the gods there, at least on paper.
    The Spesh is Sora equipped but comes in at the same price as the Ribble Sportive Bianco (the same frame as the original Sportive Racing) albeit with the marginally better Tiagra 10 speed groupset.
    I would take the Spesh all day tho' at that price.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    oxoman wrote:
    Ribble add an admin fee to bike cost for C2W scheme and wouldn't let me add to go over the £1000 suspect planet X may be the same as well.

Because there are only certain circumstances in which you can legally go over the £1000 mark on the scheme, it's fraud otherwise ;)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • I have cycle scheme rather than cycle2work so can add extra money to it.

Do you not think the sora is a bit too low end?
  • DiscoBoy wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    Ribble add an admin fee to bike cost for C2W scheme and wouldn't let me add to go over the £1000 suspect planet X may be the same as well.

Because there are only certain circumstances in which you can legally go over the £1000 mark on the scheme, it's fraud otherwise ;)

Absolute tosh ! Cycle scheme let you top up as much as you want. The rules changed in August and I suspect all schemes will be the same.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Semantik wrote:
    Only £950, granted it comes with Sora but the Tarmac is a well regarded frame and Specialized's warranty is a plus point. Ribble don't really publish warranty information on their frames and while that doesn't mean they won't deal with and resolve frame defects you are more in the lap of the gods there, at least on paper.

Two year frame warranty on Ribble. And it works - a cosmetic defect on my Gran Fondo was sorted by a replacement frame without question; they sent a box over, I packed the bike up and it was sent on its way and rebuilt onto a new frame.

Headset on this was a Deda one and it has currently lasted for 15,000 miles without complaint. From what folk say on here, the integrated headsets are pretty poor whatever brand if you use them in all weathers without protection. I have Crud Racer mudguards on mine which is probably the main reason for the long life so far of the headset. I've never found water in the frame either though again the Cruds help. I've not heard of this as an issue for the Gran Fondo so maybe it is just a Sportive thing.

As for going over the limit - nobody actually loses by it. I've bought three bikes on the scheme and only one came in at under £1000. The tax man did particularly well out of the most expensive one. He isn't going to complain....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks for all the advice so far.

Again not knowing much I can't really tell the difference to me how between the different types Ribble. How do the gran fondo compare with the other models?

I have also see the the Specialized tarmac sport for 1200 in Evans which seems a particularly good deal.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I know you probably wont listen to me but here goes anyway. Do yourself a favour and get this instead its an £1800 bike for a grand and trust me its a decent bike.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-saetta-105-2013/
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    solboy10 wrote:
    I know you probably wont listen to me but here goes anyway. Do yourself a favour and get this instead its an £1800 bike for a grand and trust me its a decent bike.

Agree, this looks to be a good buy
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Dudders29 wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    oxoman wrote:

Absolute tosh ! Cycle scheme let you top up as much as you want. The rules changed in August and I suspect all schemes will be the same.

The bike is owned by your employer until you make the final value payment. That is why you can't legally go over £1,000 unless your employer has a consumer credit licence which allows them to go beyond the limit.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Go for PX Pro Carbon Sram IMO. :)
  • Thanks for all the advice again. The other options given look great. If anything Im slighly more confused as I have more options on the table now.

One question woud be, am I getting too hung up on carbon? There seem to also be some great deals with better gearing on alu frames. That said, I could well be getting to hung up on gearing etc on stufff that I simply wont know the difference with.

Such a minefield.
    Kajjal wrote:
    The bike is owned by your employer until you make the final value payment. That is why you can't legally go over £1,000 unless your employer has a consumer credit licence which allows them to go beyond the limit.

It is correct that the bike is owned by your employer but not until the final payment is made. Once the final payment is made your employer still owns it You then have top buy it from them, although you can choose to rent it from them for another three years at a nominal one off fee (7% if the bike is worth over £500) and the at this time, the bike is your!

It has nothing to do with having a consumer credit license - believe me! As you are putting in the extra money yourself, your employer is not lending you any more money than the original £1k and they dont need a CCA license for that.
  • solboy10 wrote:

Im not sure why you think I wont listen to you - I guarantee you know more than I do? That looks like a great deal but from what I can see, I cant use the voucher with Wiggle so that rules out that deal. Thanks for the advice though.
  • diamonddog
    If you buy an alu frame then IMO eventually you will want a carbon one although I could be wrong, as to gearing Pro Carbon with mostly Ultegra or Sram Rival is pretty good for £1000.
  • I have a Ribble 872 upgraded to 105 throughout. A great bike irrespective of the price I paid for it which was very reasonable as it goes. It would fit into your budget including the top up funds you have available. 1m77cm and on a M frame if that helps? I agree with the above, buy a carbon frame or you will only end up doing what I did and sell your Alu one within 6 months as it was carbon you wanted in the first place!
  • Which is likely to be the more comfortable out of the ones I have considered? Gran Fondo vs R782 and Pro Carbon vs RT-57 or is this something just down to preference? As I said, im looking for something for longish comforatable rides.

I think i have made my mind up between these four (although the Specialized Sport Tarmac still as an outside runner) just based on value for money.

I guess preferences currently would be Pro Carbon (SRAM or Shimano) and the R872 with Campag kit as they seem to be gearer more towards sportives rather than racing. I could be wrong though.
  • The 872 is labelled as a race machine but honestly I wouldn't pay much attention to this as long as it fits. I went from a Defy (tall head tube and upright geo) to the 872 (much lower at the front and more aggressive geo) and I find the 872 much more comfortable having ridden 100 and 150 miles in a day on it. Much of the perceived differences is marketing but fit is important. If you are anywhere near Cambridge you are welcome to have a sit on my 872.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've a carbon race bike. My winter fixie is steel. My other bike is an alu cross. Carbon is good - but its not the holy grail.
    I'm happy on any of my bikes.

Can you get to the shop for a bike fit ? That would be more important than most aspects.
  • Thanks for the offer but Im not that near to Cambridge.

I have spoken to different bike shops about fitting but when trying them I just cant tell any difference. Ive felt comfortable on all of them.
  • diamonddog
    IMO RT57 would be slighlty more comfortable than the Pro Carbon because I believe it is a slighlty more relaxed geometry but only slightly and still a vgood bike. The Ribble R872 is also a good choice as an option.
  • Robd263 wrote:
    Thanks for the offer but Im not that near to Cambridge.

I have spoken to different bike shops about fitting but when trying them I just cant tell any difference. Ive felt comfortable on all of them.

I know where you are coming from. It's only when you ride for any significant distance that you find out if a bike fits you well or not. I was lucky with my 872 in that it fits me like a glove whereas the Defy did not. A test ride is the ideal but obviously not an option with PX/Ribble unless you know someone who has the model you are interested in.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Robd263 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice again. The other options given look great. If anything Im slighly more confused as I have more options on the table now.

One question woud be, am I getting too hung up on carbon? There seem to also be some great deals with better gearing on alu frames. That said, I could well be getting to hung up on gearing etc on stufff that I simply wont know the difference with.

Such a minefield.
    Kajjal wrote:

It is correct that the bike is owned by your employer but not until the final payment is made. Once the final payment is made your employer still owns it You then have top buy it from them, although you can choose to rent it from them for another three years at a nominal one off fee (7% if the bike is worth over £500) and the at this time, the bike is your!

It has nothing to do with having a consumer credit license - believe me! As you are putting in the extra money yourself, your employer is not lending you any more money than the original £1k and they dont need a CCA license for that.

That's what I meant by the final value payment, the payment you make to your employer based on the value of the bike to own it. The reason you can't legally add your own money to buy the bike is it means the bike is not owned by your employer. It is part theirs and part yours which does not meet the terms of the scheme.
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Rt57 in small (and medium, from memory) both have short head tubes. Great for race position. Not what id call sportive geometry at all. Excellent frame, very highly recommended if it suits your needs (my son has one, and I like it)
    jc
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    I had a quick try out on both the RT57 and Pro carbon earlier in the year. I thought the RT57 had the more race-oriented geometry of the two - very short head tube on the Small in particular. I was just about to then buy an RT57 but they ran out out of stock :(
  • Ok so it looks to me like out of the planet x models the pro carbon would be the slightly more sportive / comfortable orientated for me. I did email planet x as well who also recommended the pro carbon out of those two.

It's now down to two. The planet x pro carbon (ultegra or rival??) or the ribble r872 with campaign veloce kit.
  • Just had another spanner thrown in the works, spotted this on another thread and I am very near to spitalfields so could get down there to try for fit. Back to three options again.

http://www.swiftcycles.co.uk/projects/f ... o-evo-6-13
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706

Nice paint job but theres a raleigh the same price on wiggle with slightly better wheels & mostly ultegra.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raleigh-sp-race-ultegra-2013/

Review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -12-45933/

Hasn't got the go faster red bar tape though :o
  • Ok, thought I would update for those interested.

I spoke to Swift Cycles and they no longer have my size in the sale frame.

I emailed both Ribble and Planet x telling them what I was looking for. Ribble recommended the Gran Fondo and Planet X the pro carbon over the R57. As I prefer the look of the Pro Carbon, I think Im going to go for this. planet X response was just better as well and I liked the fact that they recommended the cheaper bike as well.

This leaves me with two things to decide and Id like to hear opinions from people who have this bike as well.

Should I go for the Rival or the Ultegra set up?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT ... -road-bike

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV ... -road-bike

And is this worth considering as well as the above two?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPWHT ... -road-bike

Same price and same frame (although with Rivals rather than Ultegra), I cant quite see what the difference is other than name and a few grams lighter.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    i'd go for the ultegra spec, only cos i'm not so familiar with the sram double-tap shifters. Very little to choose between them.
  • diamonddog
    I have the Sram option and prefer the shifting to Shimano but TBH it is just a matter of preference as they are both good.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I have the Ribble and also this. https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bi ... ab-reiter2

Much prefer the canyon in every way.