my son's carrera blast 24

poah
poah Posts: 3,369
edited December 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Lewis has had his bike since the start of the year but have changed a few things from when it was originally bought.

now runs an RST first 24 fork (has compression and rebound adjustment) rather than the god awful suntour XCT JR. The suntour's spring was too hard and they don't sell different springs for the fork. it had preload but not adjustable compression or rebound damping. Bike would be better with a ridged fork.

The OE bars were actually quite light but not wide enough at 580mm so they were swapped for a 620mm scandium bar from eXotic.

the original brakes were useless so swapped to avid elixir 3s pretty much straight away, while the grip shifts where swapped for SRAM X3 along with the rear mech and front mech as hand me downs

F tyre is a swchalbe rocket ron and the rear is a kenda smoke. We also changed the pedals to superstar nanos and the grips to uberbike lockons.

p4pb10435943.jpg

p4pb10435939.jpg

p4pb10435937.jpg

p4pb10435941.jpg

this was pre forks, bar and pedals which he got for his birthday today

p4pb10435954.jpg

Comments

• Coogie
    Coogie Posts: 68
    That looks cool mate. My lad has the same bike....given me some ideas... :D
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Nice, does he do trials tricks on the grave stones :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ha ha, forget adjustable damping, the XCT has no damping at all....some nice upgrades there.

It qualifies for the Carrera ht thread, link in my sig!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nice to see another pimped 24", I have one hanging on the garage wall for when my son outgrows his current Blast 20" and hands it down to his little sister. Already fitted trigger shifters to both bikes so great to see another few possibilites.
    Cheers
    AC
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • Hi,

Can I be cheeky and ask how much roughly all the upgrades cost? I am looking to get my 6 year old son a decent bike so he can come and do trails with me but nothing compares to what you have built there. It looks smart and decent kit. Can see me building him one very similar!!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    paid £100 for the avid 3s but you can get cheaper shimano brakes now, Forks was £157 but you can get 20 inch spinner forks which work better than the crap you get with bikes, pedals are about £40, bar was £30, helmet was £38 reduced, jacket was £20 second hand, tights were £22, baselayer £8 (sports direct), top is a royal racing which was about £16 I think, gloves £8, shoes £10, front tyre was £22, rear was £10, grips were £10, shifters ETC were hand me downs from older bikes.

you are better off just buying a cheap bike for a 6 year old as he will grow out of it quickly. best bet is to try and find a very good used one