New cassette recommendation

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Nice new wheels arrive today, so I need a new cassette to go on them.

I want to stick with 11/34 as I am quite happy with that range for the riding I do.

I have been using an entry level Shimano CS HG62-10, but I thought the new wheels probably deserve the best. The bike only has Tiagra, but I was hoping to upgrade stuff as and when required.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    105 cassette would be more than sufficient. think the biggest spread you will get is 11-28. If you want 11-32 you need to go up to ultegra which is getting pricy for a cassette. you could look at Sram as they will work just fine.
  • 105 cassette would be more than sufficient. think the biggest spread you will get is 11-28. If you want 11-32 you need to go up to ultegra which is getting pricy for a cassette. you could look at Sram as they will work just fine.

Has to be 11/34. I know that's really a MTB one, but I love it.

Perhaps I should be on the MTB forum. :wink:

I don't really care about the price.
  • smoggysteve
    you wont find that kind of spread on a road cassette purely because there is not enough call fpr them for them to be made. If you ate getting by on the Deore cassette on a road/hybrid then stick with it if tjats what you want to be using. only real alternative is fitting a triple if you dont use that already.

Would help a bit if you could tell me your full bike setup you are currently using.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    edited December 2013
    Are the teeth on your current one worn out or are you just upgrading to save a few grams overall bike weight? :roll:

Seems a pointless upgrade even if you are loaded?

Or do expensive cassettes really shift alot smoother?

EDIT

How bout this top end mtb costs more so probably lighter:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... tAodph8AHA

Will your deraulier handle an extra 2 teeth its 11-34
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Dura Ace cassettes are silky smooth and stand head an shoulders above the rest of the Shimano line. Red power dome cassettes are noisy as balls and I'd never use one regardless of the weight savings.

@OP- where do you live to find a 34 necessary?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:

Norfolk
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smoggysteve
    Grill wrote:
    Dura Ace cassettes are silky smooth and stand head an shoulders above the rest of the Shimano line. Red power dome cassettes are noisy as balls and I'd never use one regardless of the weight savings.

can you get a 34 tooth cog on DA?
  • Grill
    Absolutely not. There are no road cassettes with anything larger than a 32, and The largest DA cassette is a 28.
  • smoggysteve
    so why mention DA if they don't cater for what the OP is asking?

Since Sram have a good history in MTB, they should have a good line of 10 speed cassettes that would fit it a Deore one works. Again will be costly but if the OP doesn't mind paying they should be worth a look
  • Grill
    so why mention DA if they don't cater for what the OP is asking?

Because Moonbiker asked the following:
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Or do expensive cassettes really shift alot smoother?

Try to keep up ;)
  • smoggysteve
    But if the main point is it needs to be 11-34 which he is adamant it should be then its a bit secondary.

on his current bike I think he woukd not really notice a marked improvement if the rest is Tiagra unless he replaces the frobt mech, rear mech, chain - well whole groupset tbh. most of DA smoothness is down to the shifters after all, not the cassette.
  • Grill
    Agreed, but the question wasn't asked by the OP.
  • smoggysteve
    still, its not the subject of the thread.
  • Grill
    And neither is our sidebar. What's wrong with addressing other questions that arise in a thread regardless s to whethe or not they were asked by the OP? It's not as if it's that OT. If anything it appears as though you're just trying to save face.
  • smoggysteve
    calm down dear.

it does annoy me when people hijack threads with other questions instead of helping the OP. if the original question was answered and the OP is satisfied then crack on. otherwise staet a new thread. its free!!
  • Grill
    I was unaware that it was your job to police threads. My apologies.
  • smoggysteve
    I hope you get a new teddy bear for Christmas to replace the one you threw out them pram dude ;-)
  • Grill
    And I hope that you receive a book that teaches you the proper application of adages... :P
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    You can get 105 11-32 cassettes, I know this because my new bike came with one.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • smoggysteve
    he want 11-24 dude.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    Nope, he wants 11-34 not 11-24, you need to read the first post again.
  • smoggysteve
    typo sorry. hard to type on my phone
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    I don't think you can. Largest I've seen mentioned in 105 is 28t. Tiagra and Ultegra ranges have a 12-30.

The HG62-10 is Deore 10 speed. Just get another one of these, it's perfectly good enough for whatever wheels you use. You won't go any faster by using a more expensive cassette.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Simon E wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    I don't think you can. Largest I've seen mentioned in 105 is 28t. Tiagra and Ultegra ranges have a 12-30.

The HG62-10 is Deore 10 speed. Just get another one of these, it's perfectly good enough for whatever wheels you use. You won't go any faster by using a more expensive cassette.

So why are some cassettes more expensive?
  • smoggysteve
    Same as anything else on a bike. weight.
  • Same as anything else on a bike. weight.

Quite. I just don't understand the poster that said you don't go faster if you shed weight from a bike. Yes, I know if is not much, but my theory is that if I am going to replace a component it might as well be with a lighter one.
  • Grill
    Simon E wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

This is correct for 10 speed offerings. You have to go 11 to get a 32 in Shimano road, but SRAM have them available.

I still don't understand a need for 1:1 on a road bike. If you're fit enough to spin a cadence in that ratio and not fall over, then you're plenty fit enough to struggle up something stupid steep with a 30 or 32.
  • Grill wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

This is correct for 10 speed offerings. You have to go 11 to get a 32 in Shimano road, but SRAM have them available.

I still don't understand a need for 1:1 on a road bike. If you're fit enough to spin a cadence in that ratio and not fall over, then you're plenty fit enough to struggle up something stupid steep with a 30 or 32.

What is it about people objecting to a 34? Why should I struggle?
    I am nowhere near as fit and strong as everyone I ride with, but they are always jealous when we hit a steep bit and always say how easy it must be for me.

Yes, I know I could get up anything short on a 32, but needing to tackle over 6% for several miles I would rather keep my favourite cadence of about 80 than drop down to say 72. Less pressure on the old knees.

I am sure you young heroes could blast up there on a fixed wheel but I would rather keep pedalling and stay on the bike than have to stop for my screaming legs.

Perhaps next year I will be stronger.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Grill wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

What is it about people objecting to a 34? Why should I struggle?
    I am nowhere near as fit and strong as everyone I ride with, but they are always jealous when we hit a steep bit and always say how easy it must be for me.

Yes, I know I could get up anything short on a 32, but needing to tackle over 6% for several miles I would rather keep my favourite cadence of about 80 than drop down to say 72. Less pressure on the old knees.

I am sure you young heroes could blast up there on a fixed wheel but I would rather keep pedalling and stay on the bike than have to stop for my screaming legs.

Perhaps next year I will be stronger.

I think it is just the varying ages and needs of riders on here. Some are keen racing Strava man types and others get enjoyment from just riding. My road bike has a 12-30 and is a compact. It takes me up any hill I have found easily enough but if it didn't I would do the same as you. The new road bike I am thinking of has an 11-32 as standard which will be fine for me as well. When I was extremely fit going up mountains in my twenties I may well have gone for something different.