I take it Cancellara will not be able to do this..

2»

Comments

• rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I would like to see all 3 have a go but wacky races rules apply. It would be far more entertaining .

They go round and round. It may hold some sort of prestige but with who?
    Come on who really finds it entertaining.
    Why don't they have the 1 hour and 10 minutes record or the 59 minute record? they don't because I just made them up.
    it's boring ohhhhhhh ohhhhhhh wait, IMO phewwwww.

Let them race wacky races style.

They should have a bit where the track crosses over and also a huge 100ft ramp with a massive jump over Jeremy Clarkson's fat belly. Oh and don't just dope them up make them drink a Pina Colada every lap.

or perhaps they could chase the guy delivering pizzas and try and lick his helmet.

UCI lolly stick in spokes rule must apply and the rider who comes last must be banished from his country of birth. In Wiggins case this is Belgium.

The Bridge was good last night. The plague who would have thought.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Prime586 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Isn't Laura Trott doing some speed record thing with Guy Martin soon?
    It was on Channel 4 tonight. Laura Trott was advising him on the training methods the track team use to get maximum endurance.

It was was an interesting programme, with the record attempt on Pendine Sands being motorpaced by a full-blown race truck and with a aerodynamicist involved to work out the best (and safest) way of generating the required slipstream. Dave Le Grys also reatured in the programme, and the bike Guy used was a steel frame built by Rourke using the same gear reduction design as the one Cliff Shrubb built for Le Grys:
    Rourke_Guy_Martin_100mph_Speed_Record_bike.jpg
    Was good TV that. Still, pretty big gap between the British and World record at 167 mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wmkXu_v2k
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I wonder how quick they could have got it on a tarmac road with a track cyclist riding rather than Martin?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I wonder how quick they could have got it on a tarmac road with a track cyclist riding rather than Martin?

When they did the 'max speed' test with the truck on the runway at Bruntingthorpe, they got it up to 124mph, but didn't say whether it stopped there due to being flat out or running out of runway (race trucks are normally speed limited to 100mph for racing for safety reasons). The 'barn door' they added onto the back to alter the position of the slipstream would probably reduce the truck's maximum speed (which is the problem Dave Le Grys ran into) but it would have had less of an impact on the aerodynamics of the truck than it did on the SD1 touring car (where the fairing reduced it's maximum speed form 150-160mph to 110mph).

As far as the rider goes, there are two sets of attributes that you need to have a go at this sort of record. Obviously you have to be physically capable and ideally a good track or TT rider, but you also have to be used to riding at the speed you are aiming for (and be prepared for the outcome of a crash at those speeds). Dave Le Grys was/is a top-level track rider, but he admitted during the programme that the record attempt terrified him and he never had another go at it. A competitive motorcyclist like Guy Martin would be already used to that side of it and have the bike handling skills at those speeds (and as he said he had no wife and kids to worry about), but may not necessarily have the time to devote to training and getting to the required fitness level.

As Sir Chris has now retired and got into motorsports (although it's cars rather than bikes), maybe if he fancies a go at it he could have a word in Salmond's ear and ask him to close the M8 or M9 for the weekend? :D
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Well, like I posted above, the world record is 167 mph. On salt lake, not tarmac. At that level it's not about the fitness, justhow mad you are. Rompelberg, the record holder, crashed at one of his attempt at 232 km/h , 144 mph :shock: