Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

I take it Cancellara will not be able to do this..

josamejosame Posts: 1,057
edited January 2014 in Pro race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo-x9prvL7w

Can someone explain wtf is going on with that rear wheel (blimey, altitude, bit of BD and a mahussiv wheel.. Moser was certainly determined :roll: )
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
«1

Posts

  • Is it not a smaller 650c front wheel? I assume Fab will be going for the athletes hour, where you have to use the same equipment as Merkx did, so standard wheels, standard frame, drop bars etc.
  • nic_77nic_77 Posts: 929
    Balaclavas wrote:
    Is it not a smaller 650c front wheel?
    Maybe... but did you get to 0:55 in?
  • inseineinseine Posts: 5,785
    I've always wondered if that huge wheel actually works, but it looks awesome.
  • gpreevesgpreeves Posts: 454
    nic_77 wrote:
    Balaclavas wrote:
    Is it not a smaller 650c front wheel?
    Maybe... but did you get to 0:55 in?

    Looks like he's riding a penny farthing backwards.
  • "francesco moser - incredibili ! "
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Never seen owt like that before.
  • deejaydeejay Posts: 3,138
    inseine wrote:
    I've always wondered if that huge wheel actually works, but it looks awesome.
    I remember pictures of a chain ring nearly that size with a guy breaking the manual bike speed record being paced behind a car screen on the salt flats.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,479
    deejay wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    I've always wondered if that huge wheel actually works, but it looks awesome.
    I remember pictures of a chain ring nearly that size with a guy breaking the manual bike speed record being paced behind a car screen on the salt flats.
    There's quite a few of them:
    This is from 1973
    clip_image005.jpg

    This one's from the 60s
    img18.jpg

    And this from way back in the 40s
    Alfred-Letourneur--U-2-.S.A-.jpg

    But this must be the winner - also from the 60s (same rider as the 2nd one)
    meiffret109mph.jpg

    Eat that Tony Martin
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • deejaydeejay Posts: 3,138
    Thanks Rich - shows I'm not senile yet. :?:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • LutherBLutherB Posts: 544
    That is some bigassed ring!
  • David Le Grys used a similar custom oversized ring to set the roller speed record on Record Breakers:
    1985-dave-le-grys-roller-race-record1.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62NALM7zfYY

    The bike he used on his attempt at the outright speed record (on the then-unopened M42 being paced behind a TWR Rover SD1 touring car, which turned out not to be fast enough due to the drag of the fairing) used a geartrain based on tandem components instead of a massive chainring:
    shrubb-vines-builders6L.jpeg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpxJWAJbFM
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Biggest one I've actually seen in use is this one

    main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8321&g2_serialNumber=1

    77 tooth :shock:
    What was that in aid of? The guy must have some sort of superhuman strength, remember these other guys are riding behind cars!
  • JackPozziJackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    That photo is Nik Bowdler and he rides that all the time (at ~60rpm) Seems to work for him, he's won the BBAR using it....
  • gpreevesgpreeves Posts: 454
    Prime586 wrote:
    David Le Grys used a similar custom oversized ring to set the roller speed record on Record Breakers:
    1985-dave-le-grys-roller-race-record1.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62NALM7zfYY

    The bike he used on his attempt at the outright speed record (on the then-unopened M42 being paced behind a TWR Rover SD1 touring car, which turned out not to be fast enough due to the drag of the fairing) used a geartrain based on tandem components instead of a massive chainring:
    shrubb-vines-builders6L.jpeg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpxJWAJbFM

    Similar to this from earlier this year:

    100bike3.jpg

    100bike2-001.jpg
  • JackPozziJackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    The actual world record bike is quite disappointing with only a 70t big ring!
    http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/fredrompelberg/record.asp

    Wereldrecord_fiets.JPG
  • JackPozzi wrote:
    The actual world record bike is quite disappointing with only a 70t big ring!
    http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/fredrompelberg/record.asp

    Wereldrecord_fiets.JPG
    There is only so big they could go before size became an obstacle and the double reduction system was an effective if inelegant solution.

    This all takes me back to a picture I saw across a double page spread in a then new cycling magazine from the mid 80s of John Howard riding at 152mph on the salt flats. That image has stayed with me to this day as it was unimaginable to me at the time.
  • gpreevesgpreeves Posts: 454
    JackPozzi wrote:
    The actual world record bike is quite disappointing with only a 70t big ring!
    http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/fredrompelberg/record.asp

    Wereldrecord_fiets.JPG
    There is only so big they could go before size became an obstacle and the double reduction system was an effective if inelegant solution.

    This all takes me back to a picture I saw across a double page spread in a then new cycling magazine from the mid 80s of John Howard riding at 152mph on the salt flats. That image has stayed with me to this day as it was unimaginable to me at the time.

    Was it from this video or a different occasion?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeYaSvB-pnw

    There aren't many details in the video's description.
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    JackPozzi wrote:
    That photo is Nik Bowdler and he rides that all the time (at ~60rpm) Seems to work for him, he's won the BBAR using it....
    Fair play, I think my knees would implode trying to push that gear!
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Isn't Laura Trott doing some speed record thing with Guy Martin soon?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Isn't Laura Trott doing some speed record thing with Guy Martin soon?
    It was on Channel 4 tonight. Laura Trott was advising him on the training methods the track team use to get maximum endurance.

    It was was an interesting programme, with the record attempt on Pendine Sands being motorpaced by a full-blown race truck and with a aerodynamicist involved to work out the best (and safest) way of generating the required slipstream. Dave Le Grys also reatured in the programme, and the bike Guy used was a steel frame built by Rourke using the same gear reduction design as the one Cliff Shrubb built for Le Grys:
    Rourke_Guy_Martin_100mph_Speed_Record_bike.jpg
  • IanLDIanLD Posts: 423
    Quite impressed at Guy getting up to that speed. Not a surface I would have chosen, but no motorway available...
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,373
    RbHttpHandler.ashx?width=408&height=553&format=jpg&fsize=999000&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMTE4MVgxMTgx%2F%24%28KGrHqJ%2C%21pQFCpGeC3p6BQ0FP7rUpQ%7E%7E60_1.JPG%3Fset_id%3D8800005007
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    ProCycling this month is suggesting Sir Brad is on for a go too. Now that would generate some publicity if both him and Spartacus manage to go for it at the same time. Bring it on.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 57,313 Lives Here
    Joelsim wrote:
    ProCycling this month is suggesting Sir Brad is on for a go too. Now that would generate some publicity if both him and Spartacus manage to go for it at the same time. Bring it on.

    Martin would be a bigger draw I suspect.
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Wiggins is probably a much bigger name to non-cyclists though. I want to see all three simultaneously, or all three on the same track, one after the other so no-one could claim they had an altitude advantage.
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Wiggins is probabl a much bigger name to non-cyclists though. I want to see all three simultaneously, or all three on the same track, one after the other so no-one could claim they had an altitude advantage
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Wiggins is probabl a much bigger name to non-cyclists though. I want to see all three simultaneously, or all three on the same track, one after the other so no-one could claim they had an altitude advantage

    For sure. No-one who isn't into cycling will have a scooby who TM is.
  • He's that farmer that shot the burglar isn't he?
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,715
    inseine wrote:
    I've always wondered if that huge wheel actually works, but it looks awesome.

    Found it! Some bloke in Hungary built himself a replica:

    http://lopro.blogspot.be/2012/09/home-made-moser-indoor-hour-record-bike.html
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Prime586 wrote:
    David Le Grys used a similar custom oversized ring to set the roller speed record on Record Breakers:
    1985-dave-le-grys-roller-race-record1.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62NALM7zfYY

    The bike he used on his attempt at the outright speed record (on the then-unopened M42 being paced behind a TWR Rover SD1 touring car, which turned out not to be fast enough due to the drag of the fairing) used a geartrain based on tandem components instead of a massive chainring:
    shrubb-vines-builders6L.jpeg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpxJWAJbFM
    I've known Cliff Shrubb for years, he lives next door and still build the odd frame if you nag him into submission; he never did get paid for that frame!

    Paul Smith
Sign In or Register to comment.