What is your 1 tip to help improve someones riding?

Comments

• Shift you weight around the bike in mud to get grip.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Ride with someone that has been riding longer than you and is faster or seems to have more technical skill than you.... observe.
  • The thing that helped me most was moving more on the bike.

Leaning back more helped me alot. and move yourself according to the terrain. Say if you are going over a "bump" for example, let the front go over, then when the rear is coming over, loosen your knees and allow your rear wheel to come up, basically like a rear suspension would.

The bike moves, not the rider. Let the bike rise and fall with the ground keep knees and arms loose so you aren't moving as much as the bike. Same with cornering, the bike leans, not the rider.

I guess that's kind of what you're saying?

Yep, thats what i meant, the way you put it is better.

• Relax, enjoy, breathe, chin up, slow in, fast out, and most definitely, clean your bike - nothing faster than a clean bike ;D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Relax- biggest change most riders can ever make.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Correct clothing and equipment (Backpacks, kneepads, gloves) Anything that is a poor fit, restrictive or lacking in airflow will take your mind off the ride.
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

xX Forever in our hearts mum Xx
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Step83 wrote:
    Always challenge yourself. A good ride is where you push your limits

I'd say a good ride is any ride that you enjoy.
  • Work on your legs in the gym.

Squatz and deadlifts will transform your riding! I worked this out by mistake as I spent last winter hitting the gym hard and rode like a stallion come spring!
  • Get fitter... the fitter you are, the more you'll enjoy your riding and, especially on technical climbs at the back end of a long ride, having a fitness buffer makes a massive difference. If you can only ride at weekends, try to do a couple of spinning classes during the week or even get yourself a turbo, the investment in pain and boredom is easily paid back by enhanced enjoyment and performance on the trails.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I found out yesterday peer pressure is great motivation for trying stuff you have never done before and its good to have a few mates there to pick you up when it all goes wrong.
  • practice riding slow, very slow, very tight figure of 8's etc. you'll understand the difference in use of front and rear brake better that will help in loads of situations and speeds.

drag your rear brake when doing tight uphill switchbacks
  • Eat enough before your ride then eat something about once an hour
  • Dont ride on the brakes, use them only when absolutely necessary and you'll have lots more fun

Might have more crashes though....
  • Ride a bike that fits you
  • Some great tips here so far. I especially like the one about "making sure you eat enough" although this is not somewhere I normally struggle.

The first thing I intend to do is session some sections over and over again.

I am also going to add one of my own now.....

Invest in some good tyres that suit your riding style and the conditions you tend to ride most. Then experiment with pressures until your happy with how they perform. it will always be a trade off between low rolling resistance and grip. Also don't change your tyres around to much as you should get familiar with the grip you get from one set at a time (ie how hard they can be pushed before they slide out).
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    just-do-it.jpg
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Do things you would normally not do. I constantly unclip before a technical section thinking I can't do it, but the times when I don't unclip I can do it all fine. Push your mental comfort zones and you'll eventually find your physical ones.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Coming from a trials background, learn to balance. Makes getting out of the shit so much easier when you are on technical stuff, makes the difference between crashing or not. I've become a much better mtb rider since I started riding competitive mtb trials. Smoothness is the key
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very much agree with the above. Learning to trackstand was very important to me.
  • Ok, so here's 2 more

Get your control centre sorted so it fits you.

Also, as one of my trials riding mates said, who happens to be rather good,
    "Do something that scares you every ride. It instantly makes you better, because it no longer scares you the next time round, as you know you can do it". Never has a truer phrase been said to me, and he's right
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Buy more expensive parts.
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:
    Learning to trackstand was very important to me.

That's one of the things Ed stressed on the skills course I did (plus it was a nice way to ease back into things after the pub lunch, lol).
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    "Do something that scares you every ride. It instantly makes you better, because it no longer scares you the next time round, as you know you can do it". Never has a truer phrase been said to me, and he's right
    That is the truest one so far along with sessioning stuff, I should have put that... If the stuff you session scares you, you'll be a truly great rider
  • Kowalski675
    Cqc wrote:
    That is the truest one so far along with sessioning stuff, I should have put that... If the stuff you session scares you, you'll be a truly great rider

Or crash and hurt yourself... :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mcnultycop wrote:

The obvious answer, plus bits of Hope.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My top tip is dont read half of the stuff written in this thread.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Also, as one of my trials riding mates said, who happens to be rather good,

That's the one tip I'll take away with me, most of the jumps and drops that look 'too big' I spend so long worrying about and not riding..
    Hit it first time, realise I can do it, hit it again faster :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

The obvious answer, plus bits of Hope.

And an Orange Five to bolt them onto...
  • Kowalski675
    My top tip is dont read half of the stuff written in this thread.

:lol: