What is your 1 tip to help improve someones riding?

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited January 2014 in MTB general
I have been riding mountain bikes for about 5/6 years now and still absolutely love it. I would by no means class myself as a technically advanced rider or for that matter particularly fit and like most blokes have an attitude that I can do a bit of homework and teach myself to be a better rider. Also like most of us the amount of time I get to spend on my bike is limited due to work + family + beer commitments so a formal training regime is out of the question. I realise that the best way to improve is to have some skills tuition (but that's not what this thread is about). I would like to know what 1 tip you would give me (or anybody) to incorporate in my weekend ride to try to improve my technique as a rider??

Please try not to repeat what anyone else posts! and no +1'splease.
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Keep your head up and looking at where you want to go, not down at your front wheel.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Book a skills course.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Ride with better riders and learn from them.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lay off the brakes. Many crashes are caused by over use of brakes causing wash outs.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Avoid doing unnecessary stuff the pros do when riding in video edits such as skidding and putting the inside foot down on every corner because it looks good on film. Of you watch them at rampage or at the world cups they never do it as its much slower in reality. Do it when you need to, but if you do it all the time you'll end up riding mega slow and looking like an idiot.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Stay loose. Use your arms and legs as suspension to absorb some of the bumps.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Relax and stay loose. Easy on the brakes, speed can be your friend. Always keep your feet on the pedals while cornering.
    Find some faster friends to ride with.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Learn to instinctively drop your heels at the appropriate moments.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Don't pull upwards on the bars.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    During a turn, point your hips in the direction you want to go and the bike will follow.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Outside pedal down in turns, keep your weight on it and lean the bike
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Cadence @ 90.

The brake one is true. I put some brake pads on the other night and realized after about 18 minutes riding I had not even touched the brakes! The traffic light on my road must have been on green. Its hilly where I live, very useful. :mrgreen:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Follow the rabbit - the faster you go the further away it is - look for it
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Strangely Strava can be very useful. If you compare yourself to other faster riders you can see where they are faster than you and workout how to be faster on sections of your route. I did this with various corners and descents where other riders were a lot faster, also works for climbs as well.
  • devbrix
    devbrix Posts: 127
    Wax on, wax off :lol:
    All of these things....
  • Learn to pump to carry more speed over rollers and through turns...
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Just ride more
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • rockmonkeysc
    Don't pull upwards on the bars.

Not always true. Even when jumping sometimes a slight pull upon the bars can be good if you need to keep the front wheel up.
  • Enjoy it :D
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Session a section rather than going for bigger rides, you'll improve quickly as it allows you to concentrate on what you are doing well and what you can do differently.
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • Never forget that skids aren't just for kids.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    Image what would happen if you let the bike just roll down something with a hand on the saddle to keep it upright.
    Note how it basically looks after itself.

Now get back on and make sure you don't interrupt the process.

Dr S
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Ride a hardtail !
  • The thing that helped me most was moving more on the bike.

Leaning back more helped me alot. and move yourself according to the terrain. Say if you are going over a "bump" for example, let the front go over, then when the rear is coming over, loosen your knees and allow your rear wheel to come up, basically like a rear suspension would.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The thing that helped me most was moving more on the bike.

Leaning back more helped me alot. and move yourself according to the terrain. Say if you are going over a "bump" for example, let the front go over, then when the rear is coming over, loosen your knees and allow your rear wheel to come up, basically like a rear suspension would.

The bike moves, not the rider. Let the bike rise and fall with the ground keep knees and arms loose so you aren't moving as much as the bike. Same with cornering, the bike leans, not the rider.

I guess that's kind of what you're saying?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Always challenge yourself. A good ride is where you push your limits
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    If a riding buddy bails on you, don't let it be an excuse not to ride
  • Stay Low, Stay Light, Stay Loose.
  • Learn about how your bikes components work and can be setup. A well setup bike will make riding it more natural, more capable and more fun!
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Control your speed before you enter a corner, not through it.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.