Will Trek and Giant offer a Disc brake Carbon bike for 2015?

2»

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Are you seriously trying to tell me that mechanical discs modulate as well as DA, Red, or SR brakes? Because they don't. For me they don't even come close to Ultegra level. And yes, glazing still occurs and will be more prevalent on the road where long fast descents are commonplace. It can easily be mitigated by someone who knows how to brake properly on said descents, but that number is surprisingly small.

It does make me smile that everyone is approaching disc brakes from an MTB point of view. It's a different discipline with entirely different needs and usage. But hey, as I've said, if you want it get it. Just don't kid yourself that they're some sort of revelation that everyone needs and has been waiting for.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Well my summer bike has Ultegra 6700 calliper brakes on it. My other bikes have Dura Ace 7900 and 7800 callipers. The TRP HYRD brakes are light years ahead of all the calliper brakes I've ever used.
  • Grill
    That's great that you feel that way. I don't. This is why choice exists.
  • Tumba
    Tumba Posts: 32
    Did you all see this? http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/12/ ... kes_311170Tumba Posts: 15Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Are recalls common in the cycling world?
  • Grill
    Common enough. Everything from the big stuff like forks and frames to small stuff like bolts and rim tape. It is a bit strange that Shimano, SRAM and TRP have all recalled road discs in such a short span of time.
  • Tumba
    So being new to the cycling industry I can expect this type of recall situation to be typical?

Is this considered embarrassing in the industry or is this normal?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... deo-39372/
  • Grill
    TBH, most recalls in the industry are quite small and easy enough to discover. For example when Specialized recalled their forks, there had only been 2 reported failures, so it wasn't as if everything was breaking right, left and center. It is considered a bit embarrassing in that the SRAM hydro discs were heavily publicised and just introduced, so not the greatest first impression. I actually appreciate when a company recalls their product, as I find it naive to expect that everything is always perfect.
  • Well my summer bike has Ultegra 6700 calliper brakes on it. My other bikes have Dura Ace 7900 and 7800 callipers. The TRP HYRD brakes are light years ahead of all the calliper brakes I've ever used.

My TRP HYRD aren't that great tbh. Better than BB7s though. Rather have Ultegra calipers on a downhill.

Also prob see three or four commuters weekly with glazed pads.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    what about the extra strain on the spokes when braking hard maybe leading to a wheel collapsing
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ovi wrote:
    what about the extra strain on the spokes when braking hard maybe leading to a wheel collapsing

Good point, and also what about if the discs squeal and the frame shatters like a wine glass next to Montserrat Caballe?
  • anonmouse wrote:
    Well my summer bike has Ultegra 6700 calliper brakes on it. My other bikes have Dura Ace 7900 and 7800 callipers. The TRP HYRD brakes are light years ahead of all the calliper brakes I've ever used.

My TRP HYRD aren't that great tbh. Better than BB7s though. Rather have Ultegra calipers on a downhill.

Wow you must have great eyesight. I'm lucky if I can tell what callipers other cyclists have never mind what condition their brake pads are in.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    anonmouse wrote:
    Well my summer bike has Ultegra 6700 calliper brakes on it. My other bikes have Dura Ace 7900 and 7800 callipers. The TRP HYRD brakes are light years ahead of all the calliper brakes I've ever used.

Wow you must have great eyesight. I'm lucky if I can tell what callipers other cyclists have never mind what condition their brake pads are in.

I was just thinking the same thing, to be able to tell the difference between glazed, contaminated, poorly setup disc brakes, on a another riders bike while it is moving is a gift :)
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Right,

Some people are polarising this argument. Each brake system has its plus and minus points. I ride both.

My summer bike has Campagnolo Chorus rim brakes which are plenty powerful enough and do a great job in the dry. They also work well enough in the wet, BUT they will chew my rims to bits over a winter of constant use. Hence why I bought a winter bike with mechanical disc brakes - Avid BB5s.

They stop incredibly well in both dry and wet conditions. I live on the edge of the Peak District and regularly ride the hills. The pads are into their second winter and no glazing has occurred. I purposely picked mechanical discs for their simplicity and am not disappointed. I find it no more difficult to modulate my braking using them than rim brakes.

The only downside is perhaps the extra weight, but it is my winter trainer so I am not fussed about that, I just want robustness and an ability to stand up to the winter cr@p. I would never buy another winter bike without disc brakes.

I had carbon clinchers on the summer bike and despite using correct braking technique the rims have both failed due to heat. I have swapped back to alloy rims and have no such problems any more. This included a trip to the Pyrenees with alloy rims and rim brakes. I am a very fast descender and weigh 13 stone so put quite a high demand on my brakes on big descents. So, summer bike, rim brakes and alloy brake tracks is my preferred combination. I accept the odd occasion when it rains in summer.....!

So there you have it, each has their place in my experience. I am happy with rim brakes on my summer bike, but would never buy a winter bike without discs as they are far superior in wet, grimy conditions.

PP
  • Grill
    Which carbon clinchers failed? I'm assuming it was the rear that went...
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Grill wrote:

Sorry Grill, missed your reply. Gigantex rims. Both front and rear have degraded/ failed. The rear started to de-laminate on the brake track and the front glazed producing hard areas on the brake track that just chewed through pads. Both rims have been replaced yet the same started to happen again. I have tried Cork pads which were ineffective at stopping and Swissstop yellow carbon specific pads which braked well, but obviously caused heat build up in the rims, which then failed.

PP
  • Grill
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Sorry Grill, missed your reply. Gigantex rims. Both front and rear have degraded/ failed. The rear started to de-laminate on the brake track and the front glazed producing hard areas on the brake track that just chewed through pads. Both rims have been replaced yet the same started to happen again. I have tried Cork pads which were ineffective at stopping and Swissstop yellow carbon specific pads which braked well, but obviously caused heat build up in the rims, which then failed.

PP

This doesn't really surprise me. Go with Reynolds next time.
  • Tumba
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Right,

Some people are polarising this argument. Each brake system has its plus and minus points. I ride both.

My summer bike has Campagnolo Chorus rim brakes which are plenty powerful enough and do a great job in the dry. They also work well enough in the wet, BUT they will chew my rims to bits over a winter of constant use. Hence why I bought a winter bike with mechanical disc brakes - Avid BB5s.

They stop incredibly well in both dry and wet conditions. I live on the edge of the Peak District and regularly ride the hills. The pads are into their second winter and no glazing has occurred. I purposely picked mechanical discs for their simplicity and am not disappointed. I find it no more difficult to modulate my braking using them than rim brakes.

The only downside is perhaps the extra weight, but it is my winter trainer so I am not fussed about that, I just want robustness and an ability to stand up to the winter cr@p. I would never buy another winter bike without disc brakes.

I had carbon clinchers on the summer bike and despite using correct braking technique the rims have both failed due to heat. I have swapped back to alloy rims and have no such problems any more. This included a trip to the Pyrenees with alloy rims and rim brakes. I am a very fast descender and weigh 13 stone so put quite a high demand on my brakes on big descents. So, summer bike, rim brakes and alloy brake tracks is my preferred combination. I accept the odd occasion when it rains in summer.....!

So there you have it, each has their place in my experience. I am happy with rim brakes on my summer bike, but would never buy a winter bike without discs as they are far superior in wet, grimy conditions.

PP
    So what does a person do who can not afford a summer bike and a winter bike and has to ride the same bike in the summer and in the winter? Do they go with rim or do they go with disc?
  • kajjal
    Tumba wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Right,

PP
    So what does a person do who can not afford a summer bike and a winter bike and has to ride the same bike in the summer and in the winter? Do they go with rim or do they go with disc?

It's down to personal choice really. In the wet disc brakes work a lot better than rim brakes. In the dry the gap is still very noticeable but less so. The current drawback with disc road bikes is you get a lesser group set compared to the same bike with rim brakes. So your budget and need for a better group set may sway you to rim brakes.

The heavier you are the more worthwhile disc brakes become. I weight about 100kg and have to be a bit careful in the wet with my road bikes rim brakes. My mountain bikes disc brakes have no issues at all in the wet. In the dry either is fine but the disc brakes have more power and better control.

Do test tides to compare and see what you think, if you are light enough or not a fast rider you may find rim brakes fine.
  • Tumba
    Kajjal wrote:
    Tumba wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Right,

PP

It's down to personal choice really. In the wet disc brakes work a lot better than rim brakes. In the dry the gap is still very noticeable but less so. The current drawback with disc road bikes is you get a lesser group set compared to the same bike with rim brakes. So your budget and need for a better group set may sway you to rim brakes.

The heavier you are the more worthwhile disc brakes become. I weight about 100kg and have to be a bit careful in the wet with my road bikes rim brakes. My mountain bikes disc brakes have no issues at all in the wet. In the dry either is fine but the disc brakes have more power and better control.

Do test tides to compare and see what you think, if you are light enough or not a fast rider you may find rim brakes fine.

I am currently 260 and live in Colorado. I ride in all conditions, dry, wet, some snow and ride in the rocky mountains. I am new to road biking, and will be buying my first carbon bike soon, just don't know if I should wait a few years for disc brakes to get better and cheaper on the road bikes before I invest $3,0000 or more for a quality carbon road bike!
  • kajjal
    I am thinking the same thing. I would guess the 2015 bike ranges is when the quality hydraulic road disc brakes start to become more widespread.