Will Trek and Giant offer a Disc brake Carbon bike for 2015?

Tumba
Tumba Posts: 32
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have any insider information as to whether or not Trek and Giant will offer Disc brake road bikes for 2015?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, I have it on good information 8) that Specialized are doing a Roubaix disc too 8)
  • Tumba
    Specialized already has a Roubaix disc bike! http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... -sram-disc Their Roubaix discs are out for 2014, but Trek and Giant have nothing for 2014?
  • I think I could be tempted into a new bike with disc's. So good on my MTB, miss them on the road bike!
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Probably, but who cares. Discs on road bikes are entirely unnecessary.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Anonymous
    Tumba wrote:
    Specialized already has a Roubaix disc bike! http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... -sram-disc Their Roubaix discs are out for 2014, but Trek and Giant have nothing for 2014?

Well unless you think they are going to drop them they will be on the 2015 model then won't they :roll: :wink:
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Grill wrote:

speak for yourself
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Grill
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

speak for yourself

And who else would I be speaking for? If it ain't broke...
  • Anonymous
    Grill wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

speak for yourself

And who else would I be speaking for? If it ain't broke...

Well, on a forum, saying that "Discs on road bikes are entirely unnecessary" you are kind of speaking for everyone.

If it aint broke........dont fix it is fine, but improve it is surely good in the world of cycling.

Personally I am not too keen on disc brakes on a road bike. Hydraulic rim and (wireless) Di2/ESP is the way forward IMO :P

Cables are shyte and the sooner they are gone the better.
  • Grill
    I certainly feel that way. Everything has its place and on long rides I want my rig as simple as possible. Di2 stays on the TT bike, hydraulic disc on the mountain bike. For everything else mechanical with rim brakes is more than suitable.

Di2, disc for road, hydraulic rim, etc. is all so these companies sell more crap, which is fine. I'm a fantastic consumer, I'm just under no illusions about what I find useful and what I want for the fancy bits.
  • Anonymous
    edited December 2013
    I will buy a new bike though so do not really see the problem with it having new stuff when I buy it.
    It would be cr4p if I went to buy a new road bike 5 years after the last and road bikes had not changed/improved.

Di2 is a bit of a tecno failure concern perhaps, but hydraulics are not really any more of a mechanical worry than a wire.

Apple are the kings of hype and ohhhhhh I must have that one-upmanship, but to be honest I think their products are great.
    They should make bikes ;-)
  • Grill
    Carbonator wrote:
    Apple are the kings of hype and ohhhhhh I must have that one-upmanship, but to be honest I think their products are great.
    They should make bikes ;-)

For the love of God no...
  • Anonymous
    Everything they make works near faultlessly (I still cannot bring myself to own an iPhone though lol).
    Sony Walkman = dead
    Nokia = dead
    Windows = should be dead as its so cr4p

Imagine the i-bike killing off Specialized :P
  • Grill
    As someone who works in software, I find your assessment laughable.
  • Anonymous
    Apple v Windows/Sky/Nokia/Walkman(network/mp3)?

Well Apple stuff has worked beyond expectation where the others have infuriated for me, and I am far from being an iPhone/ipad worshipping sado.

Max respect to Sony Walkman (non network/mp3) though 8)
  • Grill wrote:

Yip, you use brakes completely differently on road bikes compared to mountain bikes. The amount of commuters I see who don't get that you can't constantly feather disc brakes as you glaze the pads and then have brakes that don't work at all. Plus they are all getting recalled because they don't work.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    anonmouse wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Yip, you use brakes completely differently on road bikes compared to mountain bikes. The amount of commuters I see who don't get that you can't constantly feather disc brakes as you glaze the pads and then have brakes that don't work at all. Plus they are all getting recalled because they don't work.

Disc brakes offer more power, control and reliable braking. Even then you would need badly set up disc brakes or contaminated brake fluid to run into problems before rim brakes would in most circumstances. In the wet there is no comparison and few riders in the UK are likely to heat disc brakes to the point where they completely glaze over on a road bike.

The recalls are similar to the experience when they first appeared on mountain bikes. It takes a while to adjust to the needs of the riders. You would now struggle to find many decent spec mountain bikes without them. From my mountain biking experience hydraulic disc brakes are easy to maintain, reliable and mean I can ride harder /faster due to having more powerful, consistent, controllable brakes.
  • Grill
    Power? Sure, but I've yet to feel that my DA calipers are underpowered. Remember that Campag had to change their brake design because their brakes were too powerful. Let's not also forget that stopping power is limited by grip and it's not as though locking up a wheel is difficult with rim brakes.

Control? Err... nope, at least not on anything mechanical. Modulation of mechanical discs is rubbish, and the weight, cost, complexity of hydro systems leaves much to be desired. Cav was on HRR for a stage or two and switched back... gotta be a reason.

Reliability? Do I even need to address this? Come on, SRAM, Shimano and TRP have all had recalls, and glazing (as mentioned) is an issue.

Different disciplines bro. How many miles do most do on an mtb as opposed to a road bike? The type and frequency of braking is completely different.
  • Tumba
    For those who are saying Disc brakes are not needed in the road bike world, what do you think of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1JDcW7FYaQ

Are these guys saying this stuff so the consumer will spend more money only?
  • Grill
    Errr... for the most part, yes. They interviewed a bunch of companies that have a vested financial interest in disc brakes, so of course they're going to say they're necessary. The fact remains that they're out to make money, it's their job and what their stockholders want, so if the industry decides to push a movement forward it would a fiduciary irresponsibility to not join the bandwagon.

My favorite part was when the SRAM rep says that all the pros who've tried HRR don't want to go back. Guess Cav isn't so much a pro as people thought...

They talk about the advantages to disc of rim in the video and the things I hear are no fade, less emphasis on rear braking and carbon rims over-heating. Thing is fade, and over-heating of a rim are most prevalent when you drag your rear brake, which most choppers do. If you do it with a disc brake then you'll glaze the pads and end up with a similar result.
  • Tumba
    I am not sure what is meant buy glaze the pads? Can you glaze the pads if the disc brakes are hydraulic? Sorry but I am new to cycling and do not want to buy a road bike now if in 2015 2016 all road bikes will be disc. Why buy a traditional brake bike now if all companies will have disc brakes in 2015 or 2016?

What advice would you long timers in the sport give a nub who is just getting into the sport in 2014?
  • Grill
    Glazing is when a pad is heated until smooth, thus negating the friction needed to actually stop. It can happen on mechanical or hydraulic discs and is usually due to dragging the brake or an under-powered setup (seems unlikely on a road bike).

Will most brands have disc models in their line-up for 2015/2016? Sure. Are rim brakes going anywhere anytime soon? Absolutely not. Do you need disc? Nope. If you want disc, then get them, but trying to buy a bike in the hopes that it is future-proof is an exercise in futility. There's always something new and shiny around the corner, so just like with cars, electronics, fad diets, etc. you'll always be a step behind.
  • Tumba
    Does glazing happen in Cycle cross races?
  • Grill
    It's unlikely, although depending on conditions you can easily wear through a set of pads in a single race. THis is a good read about discs in CX: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/news/cyclocross/the-fall-of-discs-what-weve-learned-about-cross-disc-brakes_274587
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Grill wrote:
    Power? Sure, but I've yet to feel that my DA calipers are underpowered. Remember that Campag had to change their brake design because their brakes were too powerful. Let's not also forget that stopping power is limited by grip and it's not as though locking up a wheel is difficult with rim brakes.

Control? Err... nope, at least not on anything mechanical. Modulation of mechanical discs is rubbish, and the weight, cost, complexity of hydro systems leaves much to be desired. Cav was on HRR for a stage or two and switched back... gotta be a reason.

Reliability? Do I even need to address this? Come on, SRAM, Shimano and TRP have all had recalls, and glazing (as mentioned) is an issue.

Different disciplines bro. How many miles do most do on an mtb as opposed to a road bike? The type and frequency of braking is completely different.

Err, err, err. ;)

Shimano and SRAM tested their disc brakes for road bikes by using " heavy riders " and getting them to drag the brakes down very long descents without any problems. Most riders would never get close to this kind of braking.

Disc brakes are not about locking wheels up but controllable powerful braking that takes very little rider effort and has a lot more feel / modulation than rim brakes.

The recalls are easy enough fixes to problems that became apparent when more riders used them. This is how R&D works, rarely is a perfect product released first time.

You mention mountain biking which I have done for many years including long , steep, rocky descents off real mountains. Rim brakes do work but have nowhere near the control disc brakes do when you have to rapidly vary braking on each wheel as your weight shifts to maintain balance. I hold the bike much closer to its traction limit and also correct it much faster on twisty tight corners using disc brakes than rim brakes. For a road bike this simply means better controlled braking and you can brake a lot later. Wet rims are no longer a problem when braking.

In the end it's a personal choice ;)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    There is one situation in road cycling where disk brakes are going to offer really significant benefits, and that is descending in the wet (or perhaps also on carbon clinchers in the dry too if you want to do that). But how much of your cycling involves doing that? Depends where you live I suppose. For most people, none of their every-day cycling involves descents of any length in wet conditions. Slightly ironically given the extra weight of disk systems, I can see a future niche for them on dedicated climbing bikes. Whenever you climb you also need to descend, and mountain weather is inherently unpredictable. Whereas I just can't see the point of disks and the complications they bring for my normal cycling, I would feel a lot more confident heading out for a day in the mountains in not-completely-settled-weather on a bike with hydraulic disks. But that's maybe one or two days a year for me on average if I'm lucky.
  • Tumba
    I live in Colorado, that is why o am very interested in a Carbon disc brake road bike.
  • Tumba
    I live in Colorado, that is why o am very interested in a Carbon disc brake road bike.
  • Tumba
    neeb wrote:
    There is one situation in road cycling where disk brakes are going to offer really significant benefits, and that is descending in the wet (or perhaps also on carbon clinchers in the dry too if you want to do that). But how much of your cycling involves doing that? Depends where you live I suppose. For most people, none of their every-day cycling involves descents of any length in wet conditions. Slightly ironically given the extra weight of disk systems, I can see a future niche for them on dedicated climbing bikes. Whenever you climb you also need to descend, and mountain weather is inherently unpredictable. Whereas I just can't see the point of disks and the complications they bring for my normal cycling, I would feel a lot more confident heading out for a day in the mountains in not-completely-settled-weather on a bike with hydraulic disks. But that's maybe one or two days a year for me on average if I'm lucky.

Did you all see this? http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/12/ ... kes_311170
  • I built up a disc braked road bike for my winter training commuting this year. Weight wise the disc callipers and rotors aren't heavy. There is no real weight penalty (Kinesis Pro 6/HyRD brakes). Maintenance wise I've had no issues the brakes were easy to set up no problems in the last month or two since I built it, I ride it every day.

Brake performance wise it's been fantastic. Much improved progressive, reliable braking in all conditions. I find them particularly good for commuting when you may have to brake quickly due to traffic. They are especially good in the wet.

Downside was having to change to disc wheels. I had to sell a few pairs of wheels and buy a few sets of disc wheels. That was expensive. I am a bit concerned about the product recalls hopefully that won't happen to the HYRD. Other downside was needing longer cables. A standard brake cable set wasn't long enough.

I don't know what it's going to be like going back to rim brakes in the summer.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I have disc brakes on my CX bike which is set up as a winter road bike.

Even though these are just cable brakes (Hayes bb7) there are lots of reasons why they are better, but the only disadvantage is weight.

'Glazing of the pads' is what used to happen about 10 years ago on really steep long MTB descents. On modern discs this is a thing of the past.

The fairly obvious reason for discs is that the pads and discs are easy to change and are cheap (and can do this myself in about 30mins - front and back). Replacing the rims on my (only old two years old) Fulcrum Racing 3's (that are now trashed after wet weather riding) is somewhat more expensive and time consuming.

While rims are so "disposable" with calliper brakes - I see little point spending money on a fancy set of wheels.
    Simon