tom kerridge eats christmas

2»

Comments

• daviesee wrote:
    well, vegetables and pulses can take centre stage...
    Nope.
    Not interested.
    We'll just have to go to different places.

That's the problem... an innovative chef would broaden your views and change your mind and you would evolve from a carnivore to an omnivore, from a mountain lion to a bear, to put it in perspective.

But reality is there are a full load of smoke sellers (literally sometimes) jokers, but no real innovators among celebrity chefs.

The other thing I find tedious is how in the 21st century French cookery and to a lesser extent Italian are still seen as the reference point... let's move on, the world has moved on already

But French and Italian are delicious, so why change fir changes sake?

There are plenty of fusion chefs about, based often on Asian dishes, that imo are just tampering with something thsy was better originally often.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    MattC59 wrote:
    He's a nice guy and an excellent chef. He took the time to come and have a chat with Mrs C and me the last time that we went to the Hand and Flowers, as it was our anniversary.

If you've not been to the Hand and Flowers, I highly recommend it.

He's also lost huge amounts of weight (he's still huge) recently.

He is a nice guy as ive met a few times when ive been on the p@ss in Marlow,he must be doing something right as the waiting list at the Hand and Flowers is as long as your arm....
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    That honey glazed belly of pork looked good though
  • Joelsim wrote:

Way too much honey... sweet meat can be sickening... there is a pub round here that cook amazingly tender and succulent pork ribs and then they ruin them with a sweet chillies sauce that really should not be there
    left the forum March 2023
  • Joelsim wrote:

Way too much honey... sweet meat can be sickening... there is a pub round here that cook amazingly tender and succulent pork ribs and then they ruin them with a sweet chillies sauce that really should not be there

Sweet chilli sauce is wrong full stop
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    ...he must be doing something right as the waiting list at the Hand and Flowers is as long as your arm....

The reservations policy there is ridiculous now, and it strikes me that he's cashing in on recent awards (fair play) and TV/book fame (annoying).

H&F used to be my favourite local 'decent' restaurant, but lots of locals (myself included) no longer bother. Certainly last time I was there everyone within earshot were only there after seeing Big Tom on TV.

Now that they have the new bar perhaps things will improve. Whatever Tom says, it's not just "a pub selling good food", and it needs to make up it's mind what it really is. Nice bloke though he is, he needs to get that place back to what it once was (a good local pub selling great food) and open a proper restaurant (in London?) to compete with other 2-star establishments, if that's what he wants to do.

Oh, and get a new manager, because Lourdes Lista is arrogant and awful.
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    ...he must be doing something right as the waiting list at the Hand and Flowers is as long as your arm....

The reservations policy there is ridiculous now, and it strikes me that he's cashing in on recent awards (fair play) and TV/book fame (annoying).

H&F used to be my favourite local 'decent' restaurant, but lots of locals (myself included) no longer bother. Certainly last time I was there everyone within earshot were only there after seeing Big Tom on TV.

Now that they have the new bar perhaps things will improve. Whatever Tom says, it's not just "a pub selling good food", and it needs to make up it's mind what it really is. Nice bloke though he is, he needs to get that place back to what it once was (a good local pub selling great food) and open a proper restaurant (in London?) to compete with other 2-star establishments, if that's what he wants to do.

MIchelin starred restaurants are no different from other highly priced attractions, unlikely to be popular with the local crowds, when "invaders" are prepared to pay more... he will cash in as much as he can, it's the market law and nobody is immune, it's up to you to decide if it's worth that money or not.. if not, go elsewhere
  • joelsim
    Monkeypump wrote:

There's always the Wimpy on the High St.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump wrote:

MIchelin starred restaurants are no different from other highly priced attractions, unlikely to be popular with the local crowds, when "invaders" are prepared to pay more... he will cash in as much as he can, it's the market law and nobody is immune, it's up to you to decide if it's worth that money or not.. if not, go elsewhere

Well, thanks for that insightful guidance. :roll:

As I said, I don't bother going any more. However, that has nothing to do with price, as I'm not even sure it's increased significantly. There are simply better places doing 2-star food, and sadly this place has lost touch with what it once was.

And Joelsim - not been for a while, but I honestly got better service at Wimpy than my last visit to H&F. :shock:
  • Wimpy, do they still exist?! Can you still get a bender in a bun?
  • Monkeypump
    Wimpy, do they still exist?! Can you still get a bender in a bun?

Yes, but Marlow is the only one I know of aside from service stations.

I believe so.

I might pick one up on Christmas eve :wink:
  • upperoilcan
    Monkeypump wrote:

I believe so.

There is also a Wimpy in Henley for the record.
    :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • joelsim
    Monkeypump wrote:

I believe so.

Quite right. Many a school lunchtime spent in there in the 80s.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    daviesee wrote:
    stoveman wrote:
    Lots of great chefs around these days.

I disagree... they lack creativity... all they can cook is meat and fish and surround those with 1000 pointless dots of various sauces and garnish... it's pretty boring food
    As opposed to?

well, vegetables and pulses can take centre stage... think about a parmigiana of aubergines, a chana massala, falafel etc... My point is that all they do is tricks and embellishments on a rather tried and tested Anglo-French menu' that has not significantly evolved for a couple of centuries (essentially they are all variations of meat and potatoes or fish and chips, if you like).
    I have been in very innovative restaurants, where they do cook unusual ingredients as main course, rather than dotted as sauces and mashes for garnish, but you don't see any of that from TV chefs.

Also, the use of spices is always very conservative, for a teenager palate, I should say... unexciting if you are accustomed to a more robust dose... in essence mostly bland dishes, cooked to perfection, but repetitive and boring

Have to disagree with you about innovative chefs around at the moment.there are plenty they just don't spend anytime on TV as they are pushing boundaries in taste,presentation and peoples perception of food in their respective restaurants..
    Chefs I would place under this heading are Sat Bains, Simon Rogan ,Rene Redzepi, Ben Spalding and James Knappett to name but 5..All of these guys have cooked at minimum 1 Michelin star and most have attained 2 stars.For a palate that enjoys highly spiced flavours ,yes you will need to look further afield,but there is no less skill in balancing milder delicate flavours than heavily spiced flavours.
    People all have different tastes and expectations,I for instance can't see the attraction of a heavily spiced curry where there is just heat and one or two flavour profiles,I much prefer a plate where 4 or 5 flavours are used to create a a complex flavour profile on the different levels.
  • How has a thread on tv chefs on a cycling forum managed to get to three pages with no mention of what a cyclist hating ubercunt James Martin is?
  • essexeagle wrote:
    How has a thread on tv chefs on a cycling forum managed to get to three pages with no mention of what a cyclist hating ubercunt James Martin is?

Probably because as a chef is a zero... :wink:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448
    essexeagle wrote:
    How has a thread on tv chefs on a cycling forum managed to get to three pages with no mention of what a cyclist hating ubercunt James Martin is?

I have the James Martin collection and half the recipes in there are Delia's. He hasn't even bothered swapping the words about.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Monkeypump wrote:

I believe so.

There is also a Wimpy in Henley for the record.
    :D

I can't believe that Henley and Marlow would have a Wimpy :shock:

Do they still do bent egg and chips?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • upperoilcan
    arran77 wrote:

Yup,this is as close as it gets for us as quite simply a Mcdonald's/Burger King would lower the tone. :D

Although i hear a Domino's pizza has been given the go ahead in Marlow. :shock:

Not sure about the bent egg and chips but im sure you can still get the bendy sausage in a bun,i will have a look tomorrow whilst out on the p*ss.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    essexeagle wrote:

He's an idiot but he is actually a pretty good chef.
  • joelsim
    arran77 wrote:

Yup,this is as close as it gets for us as quite simply a Mcdonald's/Burger King would lower the tone. :D

Although i hear a Domino's pizza has been given the go ahead in Marlow. :shock:

Not sure about the bent egg and chips but im sure you can still get the bendy sausage in a bun,i will have a look tomorrow whilst out on the p*ss.

Is the curry take away still on Spittal St? That's the only one I can remember. Back there next week to see the folks so will have a look.
  • upperoilcan
    Joelsim wrote:

Is the curry take away still on Spittal St? That's the only one I can remember. Back there next week to see the folks so will have a look.

No mate that one has gone but there are a good few to choose from,i hear the one on the corner next door to The Prince of Wales ( Used to be the Chippie) is good.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • essexeagle wrote:

Please explain then I'll see if I agree. I actually like the Saturday Kitchen but this might change when... :lol:
  • Overlord2 wrote:
    essexeagle wrote:

Please explain then I'll see if I agree. I actually like the Saturday Kitchen but this might change when... :lol:
    He wrote an article having test driven an electric car and relished in the idea of silently driving up behind cyclists and blowing the horn to scare cyclists off the road. He later apologised.
  • tbh if I had an electric car thats what i'd do.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,450
    Paulie W wrote:
    He's...

It's terrible isn't it? If we look at celebrity chefs it's a struggle to find a good role model:

Ricky Stein, had an affair left his wife and kids
    Nigella, alledged druggy
    Ramsay, sweary, alledged unfaithful, popper pusher, allegedly.
    Worral Thompson, squashed bg shoplifter
    Nigel Slater, looks a bit iffy
    Gary Rhodes, as above and is comes across as a weirdo.
    Kerridge, morbidly obese and encouraging fatness on others
    Jamie Oliver, fake cockney facade, puts on a front.
    Michel roux, looks emaciated, face seemingly has a life of it's own.
    Raymond blanc, speaks with a funny accent
    Delia, pisshead

I guess that leaves good old Ainsley as the upstanding flag waver for chefdom

The thing that stands out most of all with these celebrity chefs, is their arrogance.
    I don't know who remembers the 'Fly on the wall' series when G Ramsay was going for his Michelin stars, the guy was such a pr1ck to his staff. The worst one was Marco Pierre White. My sister did the photoshoot when he opened Harvey's in Wandsworth because he had to clear £1800 a week in 1989 to break even and could not afford a photographer of note. I knew a guy called Derek who spent 2 years in depression after M White held a meat clever to his neck one lunchtime, whilst being pressed up against a fridge - the guy is a psycho.
    Suffice to say, Derek picked himself up and got a job at the Japanese Embassy for all the European visitors/functions. £60k a year and about 100 days per annum work.
    Pru Leith is another one, the most condescending cow to hit the telly. She used to talk to her staff like they were stupid.
    Raymond Blanc to me is the best. If you ever get a chance to go to the Le Quatre Saison, his kitchen is calm. No shouting, bullying or hostility. His gardens are extensive, worth a visit on their own. Even he has gone down the contemporary route of the funny coloured squiggles on the plate.

Rick Stein and Gary Rhodes are just arrogant whankers. Rhodes: "Look at that [what i have created], doesn't it look wonderful [what I have created] etc etc", not an ounce of humility in them.

Si I agree with Ugo - all those squidges on the plate look like a locust with a bad dose of the squitters has come along and left a marker.

That is my twopence worth - back to Perry Como, those skaters have got great legs.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!