tom kerridge eats christmas

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
fat wurzel aint going to be around much longer unless he gets on his bike!

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    He's lost weight I think compared to a few months ago.

Funnily enough he runs the Hand & Flowers which was our local boozer when we were teenagers. Changed a bit since then.
  • No surprise... his concept of steaming vegetables is to use the vapours from beef drippings... I mean.. have you seen the blocks of butter he throws in the pan?
    left the forum March 2023
  • He's really not a great role model in these times of chilhood obesity, then again, you know what they say about fat chefs, and his massive.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    He's really not a great role model in these times of chilhood obesity, then again, you know what they say about fat chefs, and his massive.
    ??????????
    A massive pot?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    butter is the chefs friend, as is salt - fats help the food taste to remain in the mouth because it coats the pallette and salt is a flavour enhancer. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain (which for the most part is full of journalistic licence, i.e. exaggerated BS) has a good chapter on what restaurants serve and when
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    He's a nice guy and an excellent chef. He took the time to come and have a chat with Mrs C and me the last time that we went to the Hand and Flowers, as it was our anniversary.

If you've not been to the Hand and Flowers, I highly recommend it.

He's also lost huge amounts of weight (he's still huge) recently.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    He's really not a great role model in these times of chilhood obesity, then again, you know what they say about fat chefs, and his massive.

As a child I always looked to the professional chef to guide my behaviour.
  • Paulie W wrote:

Frankly, you could have done a lot worse than Tom Kerridge as an example to follow. Compared to some other TV cooks, his conduct's not to be, erm, sniffed at. ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • joelsim
    Paulie W wrote:

Me too. Anthony Worrall-Thompson is a demi-god.
  • joelsim
    Paulie W wrote:

Frankly, you could have done a lot worse than Tom Kerridge as an example to follow. Compared to some other TV cooks, his conduct's not to be, erm, sniffed at. ;)

David

She's got a new Cokebook out this Christmas. For beginners.
    Just one line on every page.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Paulie W wrote:

:lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daviesee
    Joelsim wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Me too. Anthony Worrall-Thompson is a demi-god.
    but you wouldn't want him in your shop.......
  • joelsim
    I'm not sure I'd want him in the same county.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    He's a nice guy and an excellent chef. He took the time to come and have a chat with Mrs C and me the last time that we went to the Hand and Flowers, as it was our anniversary.

If you've not been to the Hand and Flowers, I highly recommend it.

He's also lost huge amounts of weight (he's still huge) recently.

You hadn't by chance, not cleared your plates?
  • Paulie W wrote:

It's terrible isn't it? If we look at celebrity chefs it's a struggle to find a good role model:

Ricky Stein, had an affair left his wife and kids
    Nigella, alledged druggy
    Ramsay, sweary, alledged unfaithful, popper pusher, allegedly.
    Worral Thompson, squashed bg shoplifter
    Nigel Slater, looks a bit iffy
    Gary Rhodes, as above and is comes across as a weirdo.
    Kerridge, morbidly obese and encouraging fatness on others
    Jamie Oliver, fake cockney facade, puts on a front.
    Michel roux, looks emaciated, face seemingly has a life of it's own.
    Raymond blanc, speaks with a funny accent
    Delia, pisshead

I guess that leaves good old Ainsley as the upstanding flag waver for chefdom
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Tom Kerridge was also involved in that twitter cyber bullying wasn't he?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I guess that leaves good old Ainsley as the upstanding flag waver for chefdom

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGnUyCpwAga7DF-VaoOETDRmoUZUxO6pu9YLlwW2osx445jhm6
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Can vouch for Tom as being a great guy as I have met him professionally a few times when we have been at various chef functions or private dinners.
    Can also say that he has lost a shed load of weight in the last few months and now swims 1800 metres a day before work.
    Most chefs have skeletons in the cupboard be it drink,drugs,affairs or what ever,it seems to go with the job,
    Ive been in the trade for 25 years and can vouch for it.
    The root cause of these issues are the hours we work,most chefs who are pushing for awards and recognition routinely work 80 - 90 hours a week to get to where they want to be.
    Tom is probably the most respected 'celebrity 'chef in the trade and is happy to spend time with anyone interested in cooking be they chefs or general public.
    I remember the night Paul Ainsworth (who trained with Tom Kerridge in London) won his first michelin star recently in Padstow,Tom drove down from Marlow to congratulate him in person.

As a trade we could do with a few more out of the Tom Kerridge mould.
  • yes that photoshop's been round the houses, i wont hear anything against ains, hes a proper gooner, not just jumping on the band wagon when th14 was in his prime...
  • the playing mantis
    the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
    edited December 2013
    stoveman wrote:
    Can vouch for Tom as being a great guy as I have met him professionally a few times when we have been at various chef functions or private dinners.
    Can also say that he has lost a shed load of weight in the last few months and now swims 1800 metres a day before work.
    Most chefs have skeletons in the cupboard be it drink,drugs,affairs or what ever,it seems to go with the job,
    Ive been in the trade for 25 years and can vouch for it.
    The root cause of these issues are the hours we work,most chefs who are pushing for awards and recognition routinely work 80 - 90 hours a week to get to where they want to be.
    Tom is probably the most respected 'celebrity 'chef in the trade and is happy to spend time with anyone interested in cooking be they chefs or general public.
    I remember the night Paul Ainsworth (who trained with Tom Kerridge in London) won his first michelin star recently in Padstow,Tom drove down from Marlow to congratulate him in person.

As a trade we could do with a few more out of the Tom Kerridge mould.

sure he is, most fatties are lovely chaps.

doesnt mean hes not a bad example for fat britain with his undoubtedly DELICIOUS, but artery clogging, recipes.

edited in CAPS as i have no idea what i typed...
  • if its not BIG (and i mean big) ains, then its puck or robuchon for me.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Like everything, its all in moderation I guess.Good to enjoy the fat but balance it out.

Lots of great chefs around these days.
  • stoveman wrote:

I disagree... they lack creativity... all they can cook is meat and fish and surround those with 1000 pointless dots of various sauces and garnish... it's pretty boring food
  • daviesee
    stoveman wrote:

I disagree... they lack creativity... all they can cook is meat and fish and surround those with 1000 pointless dots of various sauces and garnish... it's pretty boring food
    As opposed to?
  • daviesee wrote:
    stoveman wrote:

As opposed to?

well, vegetables and pulses can take centre stage... think about a parmigiana of aubergines, a chana massala, falafel etc... My point is that all they do is tricks and embellishments on a rather tried and tested Anglo-French menu' that has not significantly evolved for a couple of centuries (essentially they are all variations of meat and potatoes or fish and chips, if you like).
    I have been in very innovative restaurants, where they do cook unusual ingredients as main course, rather than dotted as sauces and mashes for garnish, but you don't see any of that from TV chefs.

Also, the use of spices is always very conservative, for a teenager palate, I should say... unexciting if you are accustomed to a more robust dose... in essence mostly bland dishes, cooked to perfection, but repetitive and boring
  • daviesee
    well, vegetables and pulses can take centre stage...
    Nope.
    Not interested.
    We'll just have to go to different places.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Nope.
    Not interested.

That's the problem... an innovative chef would broaden your views and change your mind and you would evolve from a carnivore to an omnivore, from a mountain lion to a bear, to put it in perspective.

But reality is there are a full load of smoke sellers (literally sometimes) jokers, but no real innovators among celebrity chefs.

The other thing I find tedious is how in the 21st century French cookery and to a lesser extent Italian are still seen as the reference point... let's move on, the world has moved on already
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    daviesee wrote:
    Nope.
    Not interested.

That's the problem... an innovative chef would broaden your views and change your mind and you would evolve from a carnivore to an omnivore, from a mountain lion to a bear, to put it in perspective.

But reality is there are a full load of smoke sellers (literally sometimes) jokers, but no real innovators among celebrity chefs.

The other thing I find tedious is how in the 21st century French cookery and to a lesser extent Italian are still seen as the reference point... let's move on, the world has moved on already
    Vegetarian dishes need innovation just to elevate them to edible. A perfectly cooked piece of meat or fish, fresh, vibrant veggies and a sauce to bring the dish altogether. Simple but delicious. Amazing how many so called top restaurants can't even get the basics right.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Vegetarian dishes need innovation just to elevate them to edible.

First we have to stop labelling vegetarian dishes... the vast majority of dishes in the world are based on vegetables and the people eating them are not vegetarians and only western cookery differs. They just have to learn to cook vegetables well and make them exciting... I find asian cousine extremely exciting and it's mostly based on vegetables... but we seem to be able to do only the meat and fish based dishes...

But really, what annoys me about Masterchef and the likes is the shear stupidity of most dishes cooked... 74 ingredients, 3 hours of work to produce what is in essence a pretty looking Frankenstein and don't even get me started with Heston Blumenthal...
  • daviesee
    Tried it. And it was indeed tasty. But given the choice between a perfectly cooked meat/fish dish and a perfectly cooked vegetarian* dish, then the meat/fish dish wins - for me.

I agree wholeheartedly about the complexity issues. In fact, they hide the natural good flavours that already exist.
    I read a chef's (can't remember who) comment once that no dish should have more than 5 ingredients. Simple is best.

*For want of a better description.