Base

GGBiker
GGBiker Posts: 450
After spending the past 2-3 months doing a 4hr hard club ride on a saturday and a 2hr moderate intensity session midweek I feel my fitness is down a good deal from what it was at over the summer (when I was doing a 1 to 1.5hr race once a week and maybe 2x2.5 hr rides at the weekend.

I am planning to do some aerobic base building over the next 2-3 months in preparation for racing in Spring/Summer.

Time is limited, so I am thinking of doing the following:

2 x 1.5 hour zone 2 sessions (HR 140-150 range) during the week and 2 x 2.5hour zone 2 sessions at the weekend.

I then plan to ramp it up by introducing interval training in early March for around 10 -12 weeks, overlapping with the start of the racing season aiming to peak for a few key races around June/July time. I will probably use the Time Crunched Cyclist approach of increasing threshold/VO2 max intervals at this time to maximise use of time.

Can anyone share their experience of base training to advise if this is sufficient to build aerobic base or am I wasting my time? Should I just stick to the hard weekly club ride and 1-2 moderate midweek sessions?

Comments

• GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Thanks, I'll probably only be doing a few club races (1hr) for March and April so will treat them as training and won't be racing every week.

Do you think the volume of base I'm doing is of any value or not enough hours to make a difference? Went for a steady ride on Sunday, something very liberating about not trying to maintain a high speed or power output whilst thinking that it is actually doing my fitness some good. It feels counter-intuitive but I'm willing to give it a go if it will help.
  • razorjack
    razorjack Posts: 97
    and when "aerobic base" is ready? how to recognise that ? and switch to intervals and more intense training
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    Probably ready after 8 years.