Bond & Booze

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Looks like the propaganda war is escalating. :roll:

http://news.sky.com/story/1181721/james ... e-to-booze

Having read the report, all I have to say is - B0ll0x!

In my late 20s that pretty much describes my lifestyle :P and I not only lived to tell the tale but I have no ill effects.
Even in my later years, I can still "stir it" after way above the recommended amount of units.

Anyway, I am off for a large dram. And as a dram is a double measure to start with, that'll be me over the advised amount for the day already. Have a good weekend!
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• Medical profession: "No, Mr. Bond, we expect you to die." ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • 1988 - to early 2000 was a blur. I'm still here.
  • daviesee
    Medical profession: "No, Mr. Bond, we expect you to die." ;)

David
    Bond proved them wrong.

Yet again. :P
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I certainly don't think these medical 'experts' have could have read The Dirt by Motley Crue, and certainly must have led sheltered lives.
  • daviesee
    My anticipated amount this week:-

Friday - 2 double whiskies, 4 units.
    Saturday - 1 bottle of wine, 4 double whiskies, 17 units minimum.
    Sunday - 2 bottles of lager, 1 double whisky, 5 units.
    Monday - 2 bottles of lager, 1 double whisky, 5 units.
    Tuesday - 8 bottles of lager, 12 units.
    Wednesday - 8 pints, 24 units.
    Thursday - 1/2 bottle of wine, 4 1/2 units.

Total 71 1/2 units, minimum. I should be ashamed. Ha! :twisted:

This does include dinner out with the wife & meeting friends, a boys get together and a works Christmas night out so a bit exceptional these days. Still nothing on what I used to do as a single man.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Medical profession: "No, Mr. Bond, we expect you to die." ;)

David
    Bond proved them wrong.

Yet again. :P

A case of "Doctors? No."? ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    daviesee wrote:
    My anticipated amount this week:-

Friday - 2 double whiskies, 4 units.
    Saturday - 1 bottle of wine, 4 double whiskies, 17 units minimum.
    Sunday - 2 bottles of lager, 1 double whisky, 5 units.
    Monday - 2 bottles of lager, 1 double whisky, 5 units.
    Tuesday - 8 bottles of lager, 12 units.
    Wednesday - 8 pints, 24 units.
    Thursday - 1/2 bottle of wine, 4 1/2 units.

Total 71 1/2 units, minimum. I should be ashamed. Ha! :twisted:

This does include dinner out with the wife & meeting friends, a boys get together and a works Christmas night out so a bit exceptional these days. Still nothing on what I used to do as a single man.

I should calculate this - but I like living with the mystery!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    What I couldn't fathom was why ?
    Why would anyone want to spend 6 months working this out ? Surely there are plenty of other things more beneficial to humanity ?
    Living MY dream.
  • TBH, who actually cares.

Bond is a fictional character, who dodges bullets, lasers, sharks, cars, bombs and bowler hats for a living. I dont think the fags and booze is as big a risk tbh, especially when he will probably be riddled with all sorts of V.D.s anyway.
  • daviesee
    VTech wrote:
    Why would anyone want to spend 6 months working this out ? Surely there are plenty of other things more beneficial to humanity ?
    It is part of the propaganda war against alcohol.
    They are trying to make it socially unacceptable before banning it, as they did with tobacco.
    Especially in the Christmas party period.

I have been saying this to smug non-smoking drinkers since the mid-nineties.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Proper cyclists don't drink alcohol.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • daviesee
    Buckles wrote:
    But do alcoholics cycle?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    VTech wrote:

You should have posted this on the Sky page - it would have fitted right in. Now a moment ago you were criticising the Beeb for a biased agenda and yet you now do exactly the same. This is spin just like that which you find upsetting from the BBC.

1) It doesn't say they spent 6 months working this out. All it says is that they
    read 12 of the Ian Fleming novels over a period of six months
    . ie they read the books 'over' six months. Reading 12 books over 6 months is not the same as spending six months working something out.
    2) All it says that they then did was record how much drinking he did over the period of time described in the books and compared that with safe drinking limits.
    3) There is no reason to suppose they did any of this during working hours. The Fleming books are not big - if you were reading them full time you'd be done in a few days - not 6 months.
    4) The "analysis" would have taken them an hour or two if that; infact there is nothing described in the article that really constitutes any significant data analysis - hardly surprising as there isn't really any significant data to analyse.
    5) It should be obvious to anyone with any sense that this is just a bit of fun to highlight the dangers of over-drinking - it's not meant to be taken seriously (Sky posters please note).

I mean for heavens sake VTech - if you can't even manage to read a simple article like this properly how can you begin to understand whether or not the BBC are actually reporting serious issues properly and/or are corrupt? The irony here is that Sky for once probably haven't really made anything more of this item than there really is - but they didn't need to - their own readership are quite capable of making no attempt to read what has been written and so make up their own random hysterical nonsense interpretation accordingly.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:
    their own readership are quite capable of making no attempt to read what has been written and so make up their own random hysterical nonsense interpretation accordingly.
    Oi!
    I resemble that remark!
  • rolf_f
    daviesee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    their own readership are quite capable of making no attempt to read what has been written and so make up their own random hysterical nonsense interpretation accordingly.
    Oi!
    I resemble that remark!

Aren't you overdue a banning?!
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:

Aren't you overdue a banning?!
    I didn't know their was a frequency level.
    Must try harder, I suppose.
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:
    You should have posted this on the Sky page - it would have fitted right in. Now a moment ago you were criticising the Beeb for a biased agenda and yet you now do exactly the same. This is spin just like that which you find upsetting from the BBC.
    You'll be happy to know that it is now up on the BBC site.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25349738
    But I still refute this as fact:-
    "The level of functioning as displayed in the books is inconsistent with the physical, mental, and indeed sexual functioning expected from someone drinking this much alcohol," the doctors said.
    Not only could I do it back in the day, or Bond's supposed age, but I can still more than function in my early 50s with a high level of alcohol.
    The report is either done by people who do not know what they are talking about, or do not allow for personal variations, or I (and my wife :wink: ) am very, very lucky. :P
    Speaking of which............
  • rolf_f
    daviesee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    You'll be happy to know that it is now up on the BBC site.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25349738
    But I still refute this as fact:-
    "The level of functioning as displayed in the books is inconsistent with the physical, mental, and indeed sexual functioning expected from someone drinking this much alcohol," the doctors said.
    Not only could I do it back in the day, or Bond's supposed age, but I can still more than function in my early 50s with a high level of alcohol.
    The report is either done by people who do not know what they are talking about, or do not allow for personal variations, or I (and my wife :wink: ) am very, very lucky. :P
    Speaking of which............

No, the report is written by people trying to highlight the dangers of drinking in a way that would resonate a bit with folks in a way that an academic study wouldn't. But they seem to have misjudged their audience. Probably they should have used a few smileys.....

What I find worrying (well, not really!) is that having read all the books I wasn't aware that he was drinking too much anyway!
  • daviesee
    I take back everything that I have written.

The report was written by doctors.

And everyone knows doctors are experts when it comes to alcohol abuse.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    So bond drinks 65-92 units per week... since Monday when I finished exams according to drinkaware that I've had around 85 units that I can remember. 2 more nights to get 8 units in and I can be happy!!!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Pffft, My father in law drinks 100+ units a week. We're well overdue a fat old Bond.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Pffft, My father in law drinks 100+ units a week. We're well overdue a fat old Bond.

Did you not see Connery's second outing as 007?
  • Nairnster wrote:
    Bond is a fictional character

Of course he isn't. Next thing you'll be telling us Santa Claus isn't real.
  • seanoconn
    Nairnster wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Did you not see Connery's second outing as 007?
    Oh yeah, my mistake :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Apparently in the European drink table, the UK is 3rd behind France and Finland. Come on chaps, we can do it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    Apparently in the European drink table, the UK is 3rd behind France and Finland. Come on chaps, we can do it.
    Ireland has got to be up there surely? Irish building regulations state there must be one pub for every 3 houses built.
  • rolf_f

Yes, but they are drinking red wine which actually makes you younger the more of it you drink and live to 120 minimum*.

* well, the French are drinking the red wine. The Finnish are drinking vodka and aquavit so they'll probably not be lasting too long! :lol:
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:

Yes, but they are drinking red wine which actually makes you younger the more of it you drink and live to 120 minimum*.

* well, the French are drinking the red wine. The Finnish are drinking vodka and aquavit so they'll probably not be lasting too long! :lol:
    In my experience, Finns are mentalists.
    I like them. :P
  • Buckles wrote:
    Bllox. I refer to the below. 10 million Belgians can't be wrong!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • daviesee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

In my experience, Finns are mentalists.
    I like them. :P
    And they run very good beer festivals. I got out of the sauna for this?
    Ecrasez l’infame