I'm Sick of these Idiots.

13»

Comments

• I firmly believe that the reason for more respect given to horse riders than cyclists is partly a class issue. Until recently cycling has always considered a working class passtime(though i do believe this is changing) and people on horses have traditionally come from the higher echelons of society. I know these are both huge generalisations but behind every generalisation is an element of truth. Perceptions of class and social standing take generations to change but hopefully one day there will cyclists will get the same respect as horseriders.
    On another note when i was younger a group of us were asked not to frequent club runs due to our aggressive stance towards some motorists. It was felt, probably rightly, that it was not acceptable to sully the name of the club. What we did was train in non club clothes and not take any s**t even to the point of getting taken in by the police after fighting with a couple of motorists after a sunday ride. In hindsight what we were doing was ridiculous and potentially very dangerous but sometimes you have to make a stand.

Wouldn't say cycling has been a working class sport ever. Its usually been quite middle class.

As for respect to horses, I would say its because they are a big animal and people react differently compares to another human who man seem to look down on.

Its also fair yo say that there are a lot of idiot cyclists around now.
  • I firmly believe that the reason for more respect given to horse riders than cyclists is partly a class issue. Until recently cycling has always considered a working class passtime(though i do believe this is changing) and people on horses have traditionally come from the higher echelons of society. I know these are both huge generalisations but behind every generalisation is an element of truth. Perceptions of class and social standing take generations to change but hopefully one day there will cyclists will get the same respect as horseriders.
    On another note when i was younger a group of us were asked not to frequent club runs due to our aggressive stance towards some motorists. It was felt, probably rightly, that it was not acceptable to sully the name of the club. What we did was train in non club clothes and not take any s**t even to the point of getting taken in by the police after fighting with a couple of motorists after a sunday ride. In hindsight what we were doing was ridiculous and potentially very dangerous but sometimes you have to make a stand.

Wouldn't say cycling has been a working class sport ever. Its usually been quite middle class.

As for respect to horses, I would say its because they are a big animal and people react differently compares to another human who man seem to look down on.

Its also fair yo say that there are a lot of idiot cyclists around now.
    Sorry but the passtime of cycling has always been working class. Whether it be the men cycling to the workplace as the manager class would have driven. Even down to the areas of the UK that have produced the champions of days gone by. The old industrial heartlands of Lancashire, Merseyside, Yorkshire and Glasgow have proved that point. Very few great British riders came from Berkshire or Surrey!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The reason horses are given more respect is they are large very powerful animals with metal shoes. It as much respect as safety. Like it or not cyclists are at the bottom of the food chain on roads due to their size and vulnerability. Why some cyclists are verging on an obsession about it and riding dangerously / provoking confrontation is beyond me.

In many, many years of cycling on and off road I have yet to have a major confrontation with anyone, most other road users just thank me for noticing they are trying to pass and getting out of the way. It is not about class , just appreciating the needs of other road users.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    The reason horses are given more respect is they are large very powerful animals with metal shoes. It as much respect as safety. Like it or not cyclists are at the bottom of the food chain on roads due to their size and vulnerability. Why some cyclists are verging on an obsession about it and riding dangerously / provoking confrontation is beyond me.

In many, many years of cycling on and off road I have yet to have a major confrontation with anyone, most other road users just thank me for noticing they are trying to pass and getting out of the way. It is not about class , just appreciating the needs of other road users.
    "Getting out of the way"!! I assume you mean you getting out of their way? If so why should we get out of their way. Unless ofcourse we are riding 2 abreast then yes we should single out to let motorists pass but otherwise they can wait a few seconds.(And before you start thinking im an anti car fanatic i drive a car for a living and respect everyone on the road, yes even mtb'ers)
  • kajjal
    Kajjal wrote:

"Getting out of the way"!! I assume you mean you getting out of their way? If so why should we get out of their way. Unless ofcourse we are riding 2 abreast then yes we should single out to let motorists pass but otherwise they can wait a few seconds.(And before you start thinking im an anti car fanatic i drive a car for a living and respect everyone on the road, yes even mtb'ers)

Some of the lanes I ride on are very narrow and difficult for new / drivers lacking in confidence or large vehicles such as tractors or horse lorries to pass a bike on. Also some have poor visibility due to being hilly and very winding. I am not going to hold people up in these circumstances and if needed just hop off the road. Strava man would not approve of that ;)
  • I can understand why you take the stance you do but im sorry i can't agree with you. It just gives the motoring fraternity the impression that we have no, or little right to be on the road with them.
    Who is Strava man?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I don't know anyone that considers cycling (as a sport) to be a working class pastime. Most people I know consider it to be the sole preserve of middle class liberal eco-warriors (they should come on here and take a stroll round Bottom Bracket). My social group consists largely of factory machine operators, machinists and engineers - perhaps other groups' opinions differ.

I tend to think that the mutual aggression between cyclists and motorists these days is just symptomatic of a generally more adversarial society. People increasingly seem to think that the best approach to any problem is to spoil for a fight; I'm sure that didn't used to be the case.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • kajjal
    I can understand why you take the stance you do but im sorry i can't agree with you. It just gives the motoring fraternity the impression that we have no, or little right to be on the road with them.
    Who is Strava man?

We each have our own views and I just see it as easier for me to get out of the way than a horse or tractor. This doesn't mean I jump off the road every time I meet a car etc ;)

Strava man is the rage endured road bikers and mountain bikers sometimes who think the road is their own personal race track when they are chasing strava segment times. I use strava and have an off road KOM but don't endanger my self or others chasing segment times life is too short.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Mods and rockers all over again innit...
  • cmhill79
    cmhill79 Posts: 139
    merkin wrote:
    cmhill79 wrote:
    I find this happens more lower socio-economic areas.
    Maybe you could work harder, get a better job and move to a nicer area so you don't have to put up with it?

I do live in a nice area, just happen to ride in different areas from time to time.

IMHO, certainly from an Australian perspective (rightly or wrongly) cycling is regarded as an elitist sport. A motorist sees a cyclist on a road bike and automatically assumes that person has dropped $10k to kit themselves out. I believe that has a lot to do with the way cyclists are treated. We had an article in a paper recently which more or less said to go out and buy a bike and all the accessories you need $9k! As we all know that's utter rubbish but it feeds the perception of the "elitist cyclist"
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Mods and rockers all over again innit...

_55760567_007256133-1.jpg
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • I'm sorry you had to go through that. I don't blame you for feeling how you do.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    edited December 2013
    I just think that there are too many cyclist on the roads now. :)
    If you look back just five years the roads weren't littered with fluorescent clad cyclists plodding along at an excruciatingly slow place, I could go out for four hours on a Sunday and maybe see a few cyclists at most and now I'm confronted by a continuous yellow convoy............... Maybe we should just accept that it's time for a cull.

Then again that didn't work with the badgers so maybe a licence and limit the number of licences per county, that help keep the numbers down in the south east where this endless tirade comes from.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Even by your standard boz that is the most ridiculous idea
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Mikey23
    The idea has some merit...
  • Mikey23
    Inoculation would be more humane though...
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Bozman is having a laugh, but he has a point.

I think cycling was far more enjoyable before it got extremely popular. Full cafes, whining novices who cry when you don't wave at them and come on to forums to complain about it, over priced kit.

;)
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Theres still not that many cyclists around here compared to other parts of the country yet because its a low wage area I reckon & most cyclists now are middle class. Commuted 13 miles often with not seeing a single other cyclist. In the countryside very few people seem to commute by bike unlike the cities. Might be because of the drivers doing 70mph plus on A roads, & tractors with huge trailers running you off the road.

Yet at the weekend alot more cyclists appear especially round Snowdonia. I reckon last 3 years the numbers on the road have gone up every year. Dunno what proportion are local, alot are on holiday probably. Companies now are offering guided road bike cycle holidays.

Local cycle clubs have had record numbers joined in last few years also.

I'd like yo see more cyclist around as like overtaking other cyclists. :o

Not as fun cycling 70 miles if you only get to overtake zero, or 1 or 2 othe cyclists, rather tha a dozen.

Im not counting a farmer in a tweed flat cap on his mountain bike going to feed sheep as a proper overtake, or the bloke cycling carrying a strimmer on his bike. :roll:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I was having a joke but generally the complaining seems to come from the South East, you've just got to get on with it and stop moaning or move.
  • Bozman wrote:
    I was having a joke but generally the complaining seems to come from the South East, you've just got to get on with it and stop moaning or move.

I would have to say your right. The SE and South in General (bar Devon and Cornwall) seems to have a lot more irate and impatient drivers. Mind you, people seem more irate and unfriendly in general there anyway.

The only issue I get a lot here oop north is White Van / Builders / Construction vehicles. They seem to be the main type that act like dicks towards any cyclist they see.
  • DesWeller wrote:
    I don't know anyone that considers cycling (as a sport) to be a working class pastime. Most people I know consider it to be the sole preserve of middle class liberal eco-warriors (they should come on here and take a stroll round Bottom Bracket). My social group consists largely of factory machine operators, machinists and engineers - perhaps other groups' opinions differ.

I tend to think that the mutual aggression between cyclists and motorists these days is just symptomatic of a generally more adversarial society. People increasingly seem to think that the best approach to any problem is to spoil for a fight; I'm sure that didn't used to be the case.

I said the same thing. I dont think "crapaudthepitbull" is right lumping it as a working class sport and therefore people look down on cyclists in that way.

If you were to draw on class groups then its been mainly middle class for a long long time. Especially now we have the overpriced kit etc similar to Golf etc.

I would say working class sports would be Darts for example.

But its not really class issue, rather than everyone at each others throats.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I find the drivers of Suffolk and north Essex quite polite and considerate to cyclist well most of them. Those that are intollerant are just intollerant to most people I am sure. The only solution is advertising campaign like the drink driving one to change attitudes but that will take years. The sooner it starts though the sooner attitudes change.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DesWeller wrote:

I said the same thing. I dont think "crapaudthepitbull" is right lumping it as a working class sport and therefore people look down on cyclists in that way.

If you were to draw on class groups then its been mainly middle class for a long long time. Especially now we have the overpriced kit etc similar to Golf etc.

I would say working class sports would be Darts for example.

But its not really class issue, rather than everyone at each others throats.
    Its only become middle class since the advent of sportifs, Strava and Surrey Hills being the cycling epicentre of the world. The Armstrong effect had a huge effect on cycling bringing a new "class of person" into the sport who would otherwise play golf or go skiing. Apart from the sportif side of cycling which is becoming huge and appeals to the new breed of cyclist the racing scene is still stronger in the less affluent regions of the UK.
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    hibster wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:
    cmhill79 wrote:
    I find this happens more lower socio-economic areas.
    I find this happens more with drivers of Audis, Mercs and Range Rovers. :roll:

you must be a bmw driver
    :wink: No, but surprisingly I don't have as many problems with them. Audis, particularly lower spec A3s and older A4s are the worst. VW Passats could be added to the list. drivers trying to compensate? :mrgreen:
    AHEM...I'm a Passat driver :lol::lol::lol::lol:

maybe I'm in the minority :P

some people are pricks we just gotta live with it I'm afraid!!!!

whats a passat driver compensating for? being a stupid tw at if they bought the car new is about the only thing i can think of. (im referring to the ridiculous price depreciation) hardly a cock substitute if thats what you mean. likewise must be lots of pee wee francis's about with the number of audis and beemers around!