I'm Sick of these Idiots.

Comments

• NITR8s wrote:
    Now I believe none of this would have happened if I wasn’t wearing cycling gear and got my bike out of my car.

I do; a lot of people don't like you parking outside their house or on their road; they get very protective of the strip of tarmac right outside their house. The fact just is that you stuck around long enough for him to be able to have a go at you.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Brakeless wrote:
    I was out for 50 miles in Hertfordshire today. Very greasy roads, went very slowly round corners. No 'problems' with motorists at all. The main thing I noticed was loads of cars coming out of fog with no lights on.

I should hope not !

I find most people have no idea when to use their fog lights and use them inappropriately. If it was clear enough for you to be out on your bike the chances are no fog lights were needed. Just because there is a bit of fog doesn't mean they should be on. Visibility has to be below 100 metres before you switch them on and it is courteous to turn the f'in things off if there is someone right behind you - you don't dazzle people with your headlights on full beam do you ?

Edit: Just realised this looks like a rant at you ! Sorry it isn't, just some idiot drivers.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Guanajuato wrote:
    cmhill79 wrote:
    I find this happens more lower socio-economic areas.
    I find this happens more with drivers of Audis, Mercs and Range Rovers. :roll:

...ah, you mean travellers, as I like to call them :wink:
  • Where ever there are high concentration of d!cks you will have high concentrations of noise pollution from horns as well.
  • Gimpl wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    I was out for 50 miles in Hertfordshire today. Very greasy roads, went very slowly round corners. No 'problems' with motorists at all. The main thing I noticed was loads of cars coming out of fog with no lights on.

I should hope not !

I find most people have no idea when to use their fog lights and use them inappropriately. If it was clear enough for you to be out on your bike the chances are no fog lights were needed. Just because there is a bit of fog doesn't mean they should be on. Visibility has to be below 100 metres before you switch them on and it is courteous to turn the f'in things off if there is someone right behind you - you don't dazzle people with your headlights on full beam do you ?

Edit: Just realised this looks like a rant at you ! Sorry it isn't, just some idiot drivers.

I was refering to normal lights not fog lights.Where did I mention fog lights? It was definately foggy enough for normal lights. I didn't notice you riding along side me in the same conditions which allow you to comment with such authority. :roll:
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    @freebs - I'm 100% with you on this. There is no reason to act aggressively towards a cyclist, even if you did possibly delay them by a minute or two. I find it hard not to get very wound up by it; I've never come to blows with anyone yet, and have often taken to my (w)heels to avoid a likely punch up. It doesn't stop me getting angry though.

I admire those other cyclists that don't get wound up by it, for my own sanity I wish I could be like them. I believe that my reactions may make some drivers behave better in the future, but ignoring them won't.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Gimpl wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

I should hope not !

The main thing I noticed was loads of cars coming out of fog with NO LIGHTS ON - no lights ... not even side lights let alone fog lights ...

I wish a few around here would stop with the fog lights ... it's annoying and does bugger all for forward visibility.

for the OP - it is annoying to get blasted when you're riding along normally, it does make you jump. You do need to consider your riding style - I don't normally pull over on my commute - occasionally I sprint to get to an overtake point sooner, and for those who have been "held up" I always try and wave thanks as they start their overtake.
    Just occasionally I do pull over - a few weeks ago I had an HGV follow me through a village, at the end of the village is a steep but short hill with no chance for the HGV to overtake, but there is a suitable pull off point just before that - I pulled into there to let him past as it made only a few seconds difference to my journey time and he'd been patient.
    Then last night as I came into my village a car caught up with me but wouldn't overtake - ok, there are few ideal spots for overtaking, but I was aware that she was there for some time - I was going right through the village so to let the traffic go (and avoid any idiots) I pulled over for 30 seconds or so ... again, not much difference to my time and meant I got a clear, unhassled run through the rest of the village.

If there's a possibility of an overtake but it might be "a bit close" I sometimes wave the vehicle past and sit up - usually for tractors on main roads or cars on the lanes - they can see you're assisting in getting them past and appreciate it - it's still their choice to overtake or not - but at least you're prepared for it.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    rjh299 wrote:
    Cornwall's drivers are dream to share the road with compared with where I've just moved to. It may be sunny but Auckland's drivers are the worst I've ever seen, just bad f***ing drivers whether I'm driving or cycling.

Probably due to the much slower pace of life expected by the typical (old age pensioner) Cornish residents I expect. :mrgreen:

Hell if you are half reasonable at cycling you are probably going faster then the average 7O year old drives :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Brakeless wrote:
    I was refering to normal lights not fog lights.Where did I mention fog lights? It was definitely foggy enough for normal lights. I didn't notice you riding along side me in the same conditions which allow you to comment with such authority. :roll:

Like I mentioned it wasn't a rant at you :roll: (I can do rolling eyes smiley too).
  • Carry a rape alarm with you and blast them back.
  • You wouldn't find someone beeping at a person on a horse, not if they had any brains at all. You'd scare the horse and more than likely make it get out of control and in turn, potentially injur the person riding it... As well as perhaps getting a horses hoof through your windscreen or car bonnet.

I just think there's a stigma attached to cyclists now. I think it'll be very hard to change some drivers attitudes towards them and I think you'll just have to put up with it, unfortunately.

It's completely wrong and it does make cyclists angry and I can totally sympathies with the OP's thoughts on it but there's not a great deal you can do. They only ever seem to get a slap on the wrist from the police, if I'm right in what I've read in various threads on here and in the news. It doesn't change their mindset or attitude towards cyclists.

On the other hand, on my commute to work yesterday I pulled in to a bus stop to let a bus come by me on a busy stretch of road and got a thumbs up from the driver as he passed, which was nice. You've got to give and take I guess...
  • It is an offence to use the vehicle horn in this manner
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    cmhill79 wrote:

you must be a bmw driver
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    You wouldn't find someone beeping at a person on a horse, not if they had any brains at all. You'd scare the horse and more than likely make it get out of control and in turn, potentially injur the person riding it... ...

My point is, why are people so respectful of horse and rider but not bike and rider? Why does the bell end that beeps at a cyclist not beep at a horse and rider? Where is lack of brains involved in one but not the other???

So you risk injuring the horse. OK, But you risk injuring the cyclist too. There should be no difference here. All road users need to respect each other.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    IC. wrote:
    My point is, why are people so respectful of horse and rider but not bike and rider?

So you risk injuring the horse. OK, But you risk injuring the cyclist too. There should be no difference here. All road users need to respect each other.

I think you will find it has more to do with the fact that a horse is very unpredictable and even the German Car/4x4 brigade do not want a horse in their bonnet - that will make them late! 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • IC. wrote:
    You wouldn't find someone beeping at a person on a horse, not if they had any brains at all. You'd scare the horse and more than likely make it get out of control and in turn, potentially injur the person riding it... ...

My point is, why are people so respectful of horse and rider but not bike and rider? Why does the bell end that beeps at a cyclist not beep at a horse and rider? Where is lack of brains involved in one but not the other???

I understand. I guess from my point of view it's the stigma attached to the 'bloody cyclist' I'm not sure I've ever been in a car with someone who's started cursing a horse for being in the way, when they have done at cyclists. I'm in no way defending the attitude by the way, it's wrong, whichever way you look at it.

We're just seen a nuisance aren't we? That's what it comes down to. You can swear/shout at a cyclist and know they'll hear and understand you (that's if they have't shouted something incoherent) Can't really do that with a horse!
  • Also... I'm from Newcastle, I shouldn't really be able to speak on people trying to assault horses.
  • hibster wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:
    cmhill79 wrote:

you must be a bmw driver
    :wink: No, but surprisingly I don't have as many problems with them. Audis, particularly lower spec A3s and older A4s are the worst. VW Passats could be added to the list. drivers trying to compensate? :mrgreen:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    IC. wrote:

:wink::lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    IC. wrote:
    I think the comparison to horses on the road is valid. I've NEVER witnessed a car beeping a horse for being "in the way" on a rural road, but I've seen cyclists beeped and been subject to it myself several times.

So, why ok to show aggression to cyclists, but not to horses and riders who must surely cause far more disruption to a journey, given the need to creep past giving as much space as possible?

Bottom line, we all need to give each other as much respect as possible on the road, no matter what the form of transport. No hurry is great enough to risk the life of another, nor does any one person have any greater right over road space than another. I'm not saying I'm a perfect example and do this every time, because I know I get frustrated by the typical Sunday Driver for example

Believe it or not, I have! I was on a club run heading up Plough Lane in Cobham (for those that know the area). The road was quite busy - bikes going uphil, cars going in both directions and a couple of girls of horse going downhill. Some fat, red-faced pr*ck in a yellow shirt driving a Merc took offence at his roads being clogged up with undesirables and scum and blasted his horn whilst less than 2 metres behind a horse.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @slowbike... yup thats me too. slow down, pull in, stop pedalling, smile, wave etc. all goes down well with the punters.

im afraid yer average jobsworth in a car now has the 'common sense' attitude that cyclists are arrogant wonkers who ride around in packs two abreast, jump red lights, dont wear helmets and generally act in a stupid and irresponsible way. especially the ones in lycra on road bikes. something we have tended to bring on ourselves as quite a few of us are...
  • freebs wrote:
    I've now slept on it and I'm still livid. I think it's the fact that these people make a deliberate act to unsettle/abuse/intimidate. If I did it in the street I would be arrested.

It's a different debate I know but if someone pulls out on you you can be 99.99% certain they haven't seen you, they are not attempting to murder you (still shouldn't happen of course). People don't do it to horse riders (of course it's highly likely they would come off worse if they did!).

Some thing should be done, although for the life of me I can't think what. The likelyhood of getting a registration number and any independent witnesses and then the police to prosecute would be miniscule.

I will continue riding and I won't be swinging for any motorists should I ever catch them up but it shouldn't be happening.

I think you may find that there are also cretins out there that do similar to horse riders too...I have had abuse even when I have pulled off the road onto the verge with my horse in order to let a car go past without having to stop for me. There are just rude idiots about in all walks of life and we seem to be totally incapable of respecting each others interests and sports.
  • Funny enough was on way to work and saw 5 cars with no lights on during the fog, of which 1 of them was driven by a woman in a white car with kids in the back...shocking

less shocking is that i saw about 4 cyclists all of which had fantastic "magicshine" style lights which i could see for miles from and made seeing them very easy.

driving the car was easier past cyclists than past some of those car drivers during those foggy days :roll:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    cmhill79 wrote:
    Maybe you could work harder, get a better job and move to a nicer area so you don't have to put up with it?
  • Kingarry - I said I'd better spell it out for you so there's no mistakes, he said fine and I said right its f**k off and rode off leaving him looking like he was going to explode. EXCELLENT! I really enjoyed that one. Wait till I tell my mates - they'll think its a hoot. Cheers.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    I used to have one of these when I commuted in London:

http://www.airzound.co.uk/

It's really loud, as loud as a car horn. It's brilliant being able to retaliate when you are unjustifiably tooted at! The best thing about it is that drivers never expect it, so the look on their faces if you can see it is priceless... In cities especially, one reason that drivers hoot at bikes is that they assume the bike can't hoot back. They are often thinking about what other drivers are going to think as well as what you are going to think. They assume that other road users will think that they must be in the right simply because they have hooted at you and you are on a bike. But if you hoot back (like another car would), then they don't look so good (in their own eyes at least) from the point of view of other road users.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Im convinced some drivers try on purpose to overtake as fast & as close a possible just for a laugh. Often its white vans especially if its the driver "showing off" to a passenger.

Its some kind of sport.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I wave in a really camp way as though I think they are beeping to say hello. I sometimes shout 'Hiyaaaa!' too.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    hibster wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:
    cmhill79 wrote:

you must be a bmw driver
    :wink: No, but surprisingly I don't have as many problems with them. Audis, particularly lower spec A3s and older A4s are the worst. VW Passats could be added to the list. drivers trying to compensate? :mrgreen:
    AHEM...I'm a Passat driver :lol::lol::lol::lol:

maybe I'm in the minority :P

some people are pricks we just gotta live with it I'm afraid!!!!
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • I firmly believe that the reason for more respect given to horse riders than cyclists is partly a class issue. Until recently cycling has always considered a working class passtime(though i do believe this is changing) and people on horses have traditionally come from the higher echelons of society. I know these are both huge generalisations but behind every generalisation is an element of truth. Perceptions of class and social standing take generations to change but hopefully one day there will cyclists will get the same respect as horseriders.
    On another note when i was younger a group of us were asked not to frequent club runs due to our aggressive stance towards some motorists. It was felt, probably rightly, that it was not acceptable to sully the name of the club. What we did was train in non club clothes and not take any s**t even to the point of getting taken in by the police after fighting with a couple of motorists after a sunday ride. In hindsight what we were doing was ridiculous and potentially very dangerous but sometimes you have to make a stand.