Garmin Edge 510 Bundle

Heatwave48
Heatwave48 Posts: 13
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Found this 510 bundle on Evans:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gar ... e-ec051969

Had planned on getting the 500 performance bundle (with Premium HRM) for £180 but is this (the £255 510 Bundle) better value seeing as it the newer model, includes the Garmin out front mount (~£25) and Evans throw in a case for free? (I also prefer this colour).

Edit - for clarity

Comments

• Says £255 for me!
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I bought a 500 with premium hrm cadence from handtec for <£180......I was considering the 510.....but having read this;
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garm ... eview.html

I came to the conclusion that the 500 was just what I needed...it works well!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I bought a 510 off here and I have a 500 and 810 as well.

The 510 is brilliant, much easier to read, adding additional bikes is not limited and for everything apart from Sportives or Multi-day rides then it is 100% better than my 500
  • garmin website has 30% off at the moment with code GARMIN30. seems to be working ok on the Irish site anyways
  • I'm 90% happy with my Garmin 510

I love that I can configure exactly what the display says, up to 10 items per page, I only ever upload via smartphone and I really enjoy the live tracking (although I could live without that particular feature if I had to).

What isn't so good is there are bad problems with the altimeter and also distance travelled can be off if you are following a course (although this got better with the recent update).

Looking at the alternatives available, unless I could afford the extra for the 810, I would probably buy the 510 again.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    The "Garmin30" code does not seem to work in the UK (for me anyhow!).

It does seem unusually generous, or an absolute stroke of marketing genius in the run up to the festive period!? :)
  • I think Halfords were doing 3 for 2 on all accessories.
  • whats the deal with handtec.co.uk Always seem cheap, is it repair stuff?
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • They import stuff to get it cheaper. My friend bought an iPhone 5c from them and they told him it was sourced from outside the uk to secure the best price.

They also split bundle packs down and sell the items separately, such as taking the hrm out of a watch&hrm bundle.

For example, I got my forerunner 210 from them advertised as no hrm but the box said clearly that it was included.
    My previous forerunner 60 was exactly the same. I didn't mind as I saved.

The only issue I've ever had with them is they will sometimes say in stock when an item is on back order..
  • the GARMIN30 voucher is valid again today
  • yup voucher works. healthy discount. £209.99 for a 510 performance bundle.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Brings the 500 performance bundle down to £154 as well though... Decisions decisions..
  • When I was making the same decision, dcrainmaker said to me via twitter to get the 500 unless you want the smartphone connectivity. I did so I spent the extra on the 510.

Now I have the 510 I would say the other reason to buy it is that you can configure every screen and every data field.

As I said earlier, even with it's flaws I would buy the same one again.
  • Has anyone managed to buy an 810 with this code? It applies the discount but won't let me checkout???
    :(
    Cube agree pro 2013
    Trek fuel ex8 2009 (rootbeer)
  • Yes. 500 or 510 hmmmmm....

Or wait ill spring. Dont need one yet.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Ok I finally got an 810 ordered lets hope it turns up before christms.
    Cube agree pro 2013
    Trek fuel ex8 2009 (rootbeer)
  • 510 ordered to replace my 200.

cadence sensor ordered from amazon.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • looks like the offer has ended already
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Must have been too popular! Managed to get my order in for the 500 beforehand. Decided I couldn't justify the £55 extra for the 510
  • Site crashed at one point, spent so long deciding whether too or not, I missed out.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Bloody hell, its big isn't it.

it will feel like cycling along with an iPad strapped to the bars.
  • And thats only a 510!!
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • I picked my 510 up for that price. :D

negotiated a deal on ebay before the auction ended.

if size is your thing i see how a 500 would make sense though
  • Can you adjust (customise) what you see on the screen of the 800 like you can on the 510 and 810?
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • 30% off Garmin today again at garmin shop. Use GARMIN30
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    Yep still working for me too on the garmin site
    Cheaper than handtec!
  • The code is in conjunction with the Xmas competition they're running. Guess it will expire at midnight tonight. Happy shopping!
  • ummmm'd and arrrrgh'd for ages over 810 and 510, would I need navigation etc.... but for £135 more I decided no. Breadcrumb trail on 510 will do. So went for that.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB