disc road wheelset ideas

2»

Comments

• gabriel959 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Ugo, do you know what the difference in between the 711/712 hubs and the 521/522 hubs is? Have you seen the later? Do you have any comments on them?

Yes, they are old style hubs, the rear has a steel freehub, 10 mm axle and cone/balls bearings, much like a Shimano Deore. I would be probably be inclined to go Shimano if you want something on the heavy and robust side... the new deore XT are lush, albeit only Centrelock.
    Wouldn't know where to source spares for those.. .also, they are not for discs, as far as I know

Mmm, thanks, they come with the wheels of a bike I am interested in. I was just wondering if it would be ok to reuse them if I was to rebuild the wheel on a different rim like the Archetype or if it would be better to sell them and buy the 711/712 instead. It seems like the later.

I don't know... I had a pair of basic Deore and they were dreadful, really awful... but I have built some XT and they feel fantastic for the money. I have never built or ridden those Novatec 522, so I don't know where they sit compared to the Shimano range, while I have built many 712. The latter are excellent, if they had a Chris King logo people would probably pay good money for them
    left the forum March 2023
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    gabriel959 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Ugo, do you know what the difference in between the 711/712 hubs and the 521/522 hubs is? Have you seen the later? Do you have any comments on them?

Yes, they are old style hubs, the rear has a steel freehub, 10 mm axle and cone/balls bearings, much like a Shimano Deore. I would be probably be inclined to go Shimano if you want something on the heavy and robust side... the new deore XT are lush, albeit only Centrelock.
    Wouldn't know where to source spares for those.. .also, they are not for discs, as far as I know

Mmm, thanks, they come with the wheels of a bike I am interested in. I was just wondering if it would be ok to reuse them if I was to rebuild the wheel on a different rim like the Archetype or if it would be better to sell them and buy the 711/712 instead. It seems like the later.

I don't know... I had a pair of basic Deore and they were dreadful, really awful... but I have built some XT and they feel fantastic for the money. I have never built or ridden those Novatec 522, so I don't know where they sit compared to the Shimano range, while I have built many 712. The latter are excellent, if they had a Chris King logo people would probably pay good money for them

Good to know, it is no biggie, I will probably sell the wheels as they come and get some 711/712s with Archetypes as recommended.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A customer came in this week with a deore hubed road wheel. 6000 miles and it was stuffed.

XT hubs for the money they cost are really good. About £20 more and they weigh 500g/pair for the centrelock version. There is really no need to use anything else apart from may be the Novatec D711/D712 SB or XTR. Centre lock disc are not a problem I prefer them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.