Middle of the night hunger...

Big_Ring_Rider
Big_Ring_Rider Posts: 86
Simply put, I am going through a phase (if I can call it that) of waking up at 03:00-03:30 with stomach rumbling hunger, enough to stop me from getting back to sleep.

My diet is generally good- e.g last two nights a dinner of salmon, salad, pasta pesto and a few tablespoons of beans (kidney, chickpeas etc) and veg. This will be at circa 20:00. Then before bed at 21:30 I'll have a bowl of 150-200g full fat greek yoghurt with a llittle bit of dried fruit. So I'm going to bed fully satisfied, but still, without fail, a hunger pang. I feel reluctant to eat, as I have a light pre-ride breakfast at 5:00 (couple of rice cakes and half a banana), but I did give in to a few slices of peanut butter on toast, bowl of cereal that sort of thing.

Lunch, anytime between 13:00-14:00 is typically my largest meal of the day, today being pasta, chicken and veg. Post-ride breakfast is a bowl of porridge at 08:30 after my 08:00 recovery shake (if I feel I need one- not wanting to start that debate!). Snack on rice cakes, mixed nuts and fruits, carrots and houmous (not all in the same day!).

Sorry if I'm rambling, but that to me seems a sensible diet, so these middle of the night pangs are something I can do without. Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• try adding some more protein and moreso fat to your eve meal. these will help to keep the hunger at bay. i would suggest cheese eggs. maybe up your portion size too.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Have you tried drinking the blood of virgins? Does the trick for me.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    meursault wrote:

where do you find them? Pecious few round here ....
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    meursault wrote:

This made me chuckle!

i used to suffer from this - I had in effect 'trained' my body to expect to be fed at a certain time, and it took a while (basically having a drink instead of abowl of crunchie nut cornflakes....) to get over it.
    Insert bike here:
  • mpatts wrote:
    i used to suffer from this - I had in effect 'trained' my body to expect to be fed at a certain time, and it took a while (basically having a drink instead of abowl of crunchie nut cornflakes....) to get over it.

I fear that is what it's coming too! I stay well hydrated so am ALWAYS up in the night. Maybe if I didn't, I'd sleep through the hunger. Another thing- 09:30 snack isn't considered late, maybe it's normal to feel hungry 6 hours later (especially during heavier training loads)? My body is used to snacking every 2-3 hours throughout the day.