Anyone fancy riding stages 1 & 2 of the Tour with me??

2»

Comments

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    The closer to the start the better I reckon. Just need to check whether there are any major sportives in that period that might soak up available accommodation in Leeds or York/Harrogate. There's a festival of cycling planned for the 100 days before the start but that shouldn't mean there's bound to be a clash.

How do the following weekends sounds in terms of everyone's availability?

7-9th June
    14-16th June
    21-23rd June
  • I've got the gran fondo giordana from 20th June but don't let me stop the fun.
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    The closer to the start the better I reckon. Just need to check whether there are any major sportives in that period that might soak up available accommodation in Leeds or York/Harrogate. There's a festival of cycling planned for the 100 days before the start but that shouldn't mean there's bound to be a clash.

How do the following weekends sounds in terms of everyone's availability?

7-9th June
    14-16th June
    21-23rd June

Any are fine with me mate.

Also, how is this gonna work exactly? If we're travelling to meet in Leeds on the Friday, how do we get the stuff we're not wearing/using on the ride to the next hotel in York?
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • rodgers73
    I'll see about organising a volunteer to shift bags to York and Sheff. A holdall per person isn't going to need more than a car.
  • That would be grand.

Are there particular start and finish locations for each stage, not just the town/city? I am not familiar with any of these places but I guess there will be a place that we will consider the start and finish in each town.

Next question, what time do we start pedalling each day, there's plenty of daylight so early doors might give us more time for the train from Harrogate to York on the first day.
  • rodgers73
    There's been quite a discussion already about the start location for the Leeds stage - I'm easy on that side of things as I don't know the route as well as others. Reckon we decide on that a little further down the line.

Sunrise/sunset times for the 3 weekends in June are 4.45am and 9.20pm so time is pretty much unlimited. Train times are -

Saturday - pretty much hourly after 6pm and journey takes 40 mins
    Sunday - first train of the day is 10.45am so looks like an evening journey to York
  • I wonder if it's necessary to book a bike space on the train? That's what I have to do for the East Coast train service to Leeds.
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • rodgers73
    Service is run by Northern Rail. Their website says no need to make reservations and spaces go on 1st come 1st served basis. Max of 2 bikes per train but conductor has discretion. I've Northern Rail a lot, living in Doncaster, and regularly see more than 2 bikes on trains. Especially if busy. If there's a problem whoever is ferrying the luggage can stick some on a rack on the back of their car.
  • Just a thought...

If we are not sticking to the route like glue then why not just adapt it a little so we ride through Harrogate and through to York, or at least near to York.
  • rodgers73
    They're 20ish miles apart so may require a fair bit of adapting.

My own thought this afternoon was to get a mate to meet us with a transit and chuck all the bikes in the back while we let the train take the strain...
  • Agreed, that sounds better providing you have a willing friend of course.

By the way, have you given any thought to suitable accommodation? The peeps at our Northern office (between Donny and Selby) tell me that York is expensive!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Just a thought...

If we are not sticking to the route like glue then why not just adapt it a little so we ride through Harrogate and through to York, or at least near to York.
    Just to let you know that Harrogate to York would be an extra 25 miles after the end of a long first stage along the busy A59 which is not a good ride. And that is the same road you would be coming back along (York through past Harrogate) at the start of Stage 2 if you are doing that exact part of the route. It's probably the part of Stage 2 I'd try to avoid if I was doing it.
  • rodgers73
    True, York isn't cheap. But it depends on what class of place you want and whether you're prepared to share. For example, at the bottom end, you can get a shared room for 6 at the YHA for £150 (i.e £25 a head). But if you want a room to yourself and a higher class of place then you're bound to spend more.

Alternatively, if we do the transit idea we can stay in Harrogate instead and drive over in the morning - rooms would be cheaper there.
  • rodgers73
    Just a thought...

Just to let you know that Harrogate to York would be an extra 25 miles after the end of a long first stage along the busy A59 which is not a good ride. And that is the same road you would be coming back along (York through past Harrogate) at the start of Stage 2 if you are doing that exact part of the route. It's probably the part of Stage 2 I'd try to avoid if I was doing it.

While I'm not wedded to following the exact route of the stages if it means riding on roads such as the A59, I'd like to think I'd ridden the same distance as the pros will have. Could easily plot a route cross-country from York to Harrogate that avoids the A road.
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    True, York isn't cheap. But it depends on what class of place you want and whether you're prepared to share. For example, at the bottom end, you can get a shared room for 6 at the YHA for £150 (i.e £25 a head). But if you want a room to yourself and a higher class of place then you're bound to spend more.

Alternatively, if we do the transit idea we can stay in Harrogate instead and drive over in the morning - rooms would be cheaper there.

I reckon you will have to start politely dictating some rules regarding a lot of this stuff. June will be upon us in no time at all.

Dates, start points, stop points, hotels, blah blah blah.

Sorry to go on but very few things get decided in a democracy.
  • rodgers73
    Yep, I agree.

Will set up Facebook group to make this easier to deal with.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    rodgers73 wrote:

Harrogate hotels will not be much cheaper than York, if at all. If there's a conference on in Harrogate the weekend you are going, you will be lucky to get a room at all. Better for you guys to try and find accommodation in or near York if you can. Good luck.
  • Yeah I was thinking maybe five miles or so outside the town would be good.
  • Ditto, even if it's some holiday inn or similar?
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • rodgers73
    Facebook group here -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/440219399437488/

• rodgers73 wrote:
    Facebook group here -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/440219399437488/

Just Joined, cheers.
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • rodgers73
    Got you - will start adding itinerary etc over Christmas break
  • rodgers73
    We now have 3 of us definitely doing this. It will be one of the following weekends -

7/8th June
    21/22nd June
    28th/29th June

All three of us can do any of those dates so we can be flexible with any new participants.

If anyone else is interested just let me know. The itinerary and links to the routes are on the Facebook group. If you aren't on Facebook I can email you all of this stuff instead.

Cheers

Tom
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Just a quick note to advise there are sportives along all/ part of stage 1 route on all of those weekends. Doesn't stop you doing the ride, but may be busy with cyclists.
  • rodgers73
    Fine by me, traffic should be a bit more cyclist aware those days then
  • rodgers73
    *bump*

Still looking for a couple more riders...
  • Been thinking about organising a group ride for myself and a few friends before the tour.

Does anyone have any comments on this: http://www.strava.com/routes/171319 as a suitable route?
  • rodgers73
    You're welcome to havge a look at the routes on the f'book group if you like.

Ride now set for 27/28th June. There are 3 of us riding so far but more welcome...
  • Looks fun wish I could join you. But if I go up that way I'd only end up peeling off in Knaresborough and staying in Blind Jacks to taste the local refreshments.

I'll stick to the Etape du Dales.