Anyone fancy riding stages 1 & 2 of the Tour with me??

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
I'm looking to get a group of people together from here to ride the first two stages of the Tour, probably a couple of weeks before the Grand Depart, ideally over the course of a single weekend.

Plan would be to stay over in Leeds on the Friday night - go for drinks, dinner etc - ride stage one on the Saturday and either stay in Harrogate that night and get the train over to York on Sunday morning or travel over on Saturday evening and stay in York that night. Then drinks and dinner in Sheffield on the Sunday night and either trains home that evening or stay over and travel the following day.

I don't have any fixed ideas on group size, but I expect about a dozen or less would be the most manageable. I'm not looking to "race" the stages so your speed isn't going to be that important, but I guess you'll have to be reasonably fit to do 390km over 2 days.

So, if you've fancied doing this but can't get anyone to do it with then sign up - I'm sure we'll have a laugh!

Once there's some definite interest we can start talking dates etc.

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• Tom

In principle yes. Need to think about dates etc. but sounds like a good plan.

Gareth
  • Yep reckon I would be up for this
  • rodgers73
    Top stuff guys - any more takers??
  • Yes; although I would probably only want to do Stage 1 and probably that on Sunday.

I reckon it'll be pretty busy with cyclists on the weekends before the tour!
  • I'd recommend not quite following the stage routes. It'll be fine for the pros on closed roads
    The A59 between York and Skipton and A61 from Leeds to Harewood & Ripon to Harrogate are busy, fairly narrow, twisty and fast roads. The A65 from Otley won't be much fun either. I don't know the roads round Huddersfield & Sheffield all that well, but I can't imagine the busier A-roads will be much fun. At least in Sheffield you'll be close to the Northern General Hospital.
    Find routes on quieter roads running parallel. e.g. instead of A59 from Harrogate to Blubberhouses, there's a much quieter road running to the south of the A59 towards Fewston (Cornwall Road from Valley Gardens, turns to Penny Pot Lane). https://goo.gl/maps/cbNDd

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fatality on one those roads in the run up to the tour, as there's going to be a lot of cyclists on them. The A59 regularly features in the nation's most danegrous roads list without lots of cyclists on it, and it is completely unsuitable for cycling with other traffic around. Your life is worth far more than following the exact same route! Also, think VERY carefully before organising anything for other people to join in, as there's the possibility of liability issues. However much it might be 'just a group of like-minded individuals', families (and the media & courts) might not see it that way.

Also, I'd recommend getting to York on the Saturday. The first train to York from Harrogate doesn't leave until about quarter to 11. And you're unlikely to get more than 2 bikes on it. Or just skip the York to Harrogate section completely - its dull, flat and dangerous.

I'm not saying don't do it (I'm planning on doing some bits), I'm just saying you ought to be willing to deviate from the route - Take in the best bits but avoid the dull, sloggy bits on busy main roads that take you to the best bits. Maybe Skipton to Ripon and then Silsden/Keighley to Sheffield with a variation between Elland and Berry Brow (avoiding the A629 from the M6 into Huddersfield and Huddersfield ring road)
  • Points taken. Anyone care to suggest a sensible round trip route which takes in the majority of the stage but doesn't use the busiest roads?
  • rodgers73
    I'm sure the route can be sorted to everyone's liking once we know if this is a runner or not.
  • I want to do this next year, so would be up for this providing I think I can do it :)

I'd echo the sentiment above: the route is designed for closed roads. In fact they're actually missing some of the best roads in the area just to get on bigger roads that can handle the peloton! The other roads will be safer but also more picturesque.
  • It might be worth using the Cyclestreets route planner and build the routes in sections. e.g. Headrow in Leeds to Skipton, then Skipton to Aysgarth, etc. The planner gives you an idea of how busy roads are going to be, will route you down cyclepaths if it can, and prioritises national cycle network routes, but it'd be worth getting some local input as well. For example, the cyclestreets route may well take you along the Leeds-Liverpool canal. I know from experience that the surface can be hard on tyres (& arms) beyond Saltaire and isn't conducive to decent speeds.

Make a list of the route sections you MUST include (My thoughts would be Skipton to Masham, Keighley to Elland, Berry Brow to Oughtibridge) and link them with quieter routes. The problems are going to come with getting out of Leeds, through Huddersfield, into Sheffield and the bit between York and Silsden if you must go via Harrogate. Its a shame the cyclestreets planner can't handle via points. The Strava route planner might also give a reasonable route and can route via intermediate spots. The strava system uses the popularity of routes as an indicator of the suitability for cycling - so if lots of people use a particular road, that will be used in preference to a similar route that isn't used as much.
    The finish in Harrogate is going the wrong way up a one-way street. ;-) Finish at The Royal Hall or Pump Room instead.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited December 2013
    Looking at the map of Stage 1 I would guess all the way from Skipton to Ripon is on cycle friendly-ish routes and would give enough of the stage that you feel like you've done it.

Here's a quick go at a route from Skipton to Skipton via Ripon and most of the tour route. MIsses out Leeds and Harrogate. http://goo.gl/maps/y16PK

Done it as a round trip as making it a one way course would allow you to follow the route more closely, but just makes logistics a nightmare.
  • Guanna, you sound like your from Harrogate!

All VERY good points about the route. The ones mentioned are well worth avoiding
  • I've just seen on the Cycling Weekly website that there is going to be a charity ride on June 8th following the Stage 1 route, sounds like a bad idea to me as the main roads aren't suitable for large numbers of cyclists (unless they are closing the roads again which seems unlikely). The loop posted above looks good and includes the "bonus" of riding up Greenhow Hill from Pateley Bridge (2.4 miles at an average of 7.3% according to Strava), the pros miss out on this! You could add on a decent ride from Harewood to Skipton avoiding main roads, Stage 1 doesn't officially start until they get through the grounds of Harewood, the ride out of Leeds is neutralised. I regularly ride between Leeds and Otley/Ilkley/Bolton Abbey. This would be my suggestion of a parallel route on quieter roads - http://goo.gl/maps/0CFDo
  • The only trouble there is that if you start from Harewood, you have to get to / from Harrogate, which by accounts is sketchy.
  • Guanna, you sound like your from Harrogate!

All VERY good points about the route. The ones mentioned are well worth avoiding
    :mrgreen: I lived there for 18 months when I was in 6th form. I escaped!
    My parents still live there, the In-laws live in Shipley and I was at university in Bradford. I'd often cycle Bradford to Harrogate as it was quicker than the bus. So I know the area quite well. I haven't ridden a bike round there since the late 90s though. I'm not keen on driving on the A59, let alone cycling it, and I'm not a nervous driver.
    I grew up cycling in Sheffield, but don't really know the area to the North & West otherwise I'd have given advice on that too. All my riding back then was round the Hope Valley & Matlock area. Seeing some strava segments round there, I wonder how on earth I did them on a nasty 24" 5 gear 'racer'. :shock:

I've booked to stay with my parents for the TdF weekend (and a couple of days before/after so we can actually get to their house!) and I'm planning on cycling over to Otley with my daughter to catch the stage there, then cycle back to Harrogate in time for the stage finish - it'll be a bit of a race back I reckon! Then on stage 2 I'd like to head out to Blubberhouses, but i'm not too sure how that'll work with the road closed.
  • Easy Guana, I have lived in Harrogate most of my life ha ha :D

You make some good points bout the route, cycle round here a lot and the first stage I know quite well, most of it at least and know some alternative routes to avoid the busy areas. Greenhow is quite tough in parts think it max at 16% and is quite long in parts but not too bad, it's no rosedale chimney that for sure.
  • markhewitt - actually the A61 near Harewood isn't too bad but you need to ride a short section to cross the River Wharfe and then up Harewood Bank if you want to start in Harewood itself, the road is quite wide here and I climb it a lot even though I prefer to stay off main roads. You could cross the river and immediately turn right for Otley, it's a busy corner but there is a filter lane. It's no problem if riding solo but might be worse in a group. Most of Harrogate to Harewood can be done off the A61 on country lanes but it will add on a few miles. The Evans Leeds Ride-it included the stretch of the A61 near Harewood and there didn't seem to be any trouble.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    The worst/busiest part of the A61 between Leeds and Harewood is the dual carriageway for the first 5 miles up to near the grammar school, but if you are not doing it in rush hour it's not that bad. I commute by bike on this road and outside the morning and evening rush hours I find it okay. The next 3 miles or so to Harewood is a single carriage road which is better than the dual carriageway and in my view okay for an A road.

I'm not keen on the A59 for stage 2 from York through Harrogate to Blubberhouses. I live in Harrogate and try to avoid the A59 as much as possible when cycling.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    mattbabs wrote:
    I've just seen on the Cycling Weekly website that there is going to be a charity ride on June 8th following the Stage 1 route, sounds like a bad idea to me as the main roads aren't suitable for large numbers of cyclists (unless they are closing the roads again which seems unlikely). The loop posted above looks good and includes the "bonus" of riding up Greenhow Hill from Pateley Bridge (2.4 miles at an average of 7.3% according to Strava), the pros miss out on this! You could add on a decent ride from Harewood to Skipton avoiding main roads, Stage 1 doesn't officially start until they get through the grounds of Harewood, the ride out of Leeds is neutralised. I regularly ride between Leeds and Otley/Ilkley/Bolton Abbey. This would be my suggestion of a parallel route on quieter roads - http://goo.gl/maps/0CFDo

A lot of Sportives are planned/ announced using part of the route. One group [charity] want to do the full route which I believe shows a serious level of disregard for the participants safety. The advice above about using only part of the route is very sound advice.

Quite simply, many sections of both routes are NOT appropriate for individual efforts, Sportives or charity rides. Even on some of the minor roads through the Dales, the routes are busy in the summer with tourists, motorbike rides etc.

Be careful in your planning.

Best Sportive I have seen to date is the velo29 - starts in Ripon, over to Grassington via Greenhow climb, to join the route over Cray, Butter tubs and Whipperdale Bank TDF climbs, finishing in Ripon again. Good value too.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Guanajuato wrote:

I've booked to stay with my parents for the TdF weekend (and a couple of days before/after so we can actually get to their house!) and I'm planning on cycling over to Otley with my daughter to catch the stage there, then cycle back to Harrogate in time for the stage finish - it'll be a bit of a race back I reckon! Then on stage 2 I'd like to head out to Blubberhouses, but i'm not too sure how that'll work with the road closed.

Many are planning to view the first stage at one location and then head to Harrogate - many will be disappointed....
  • rodgers73
    Takers so far then -

Me
    Chaos 75
    Harrogate Velo50
    Ianwilliams

Any others want to join in??

Markhewitt - you're welcome to do stage one with us on the Saturday if you fancy some company!
  • mattbabs wrote:
    The Evans Leeds Ride-it included the stretch of the A61 near Harewood and there didn't seem to be any trouble.

I know - I rode it :)
  • I'm up for this, just need to check my dates once next years work rota comes out.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TheFog wrote:
    Quite simply, many sections of both routes are NOT appropriate for individual efforts, Sportives or charity rides. Even on some of the minor roads through the Dales, the routes are busy in the summer with tourists, motorbike rides etc.

There's nothing much wrong with any of stage 1 as long as you are solo or in a small group. There are ways to make some of it more friendly but even the road from Ripon to Harrogate isn't terrible as a one off.

I think Stage 1 would be an enjoyable ride. As for Stage 2 - I've done that (from Leeds up to Keighley and then following the route). It isn't that much fun as a leisure ride to be honest. There's a whole load of deliberate up and down on the run in towards Sheffield that is just plain wearing when you should be enjoying a fast descent down Loxley Road. You really need to divert from tour route from Elland up to the M62 (use Huddersfield Road). Woodhead would be unpleasant if you hit it at a busy time as well.

Both are doable mostly as planned for the tour if you have a bit of a masochistic streak. To say they are not appropriate is something of an exaggeration though. People cycle these roads all the time - just not all stringed together!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rodgers73
    Nice one pierceygy!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Takers so far then -

Me
    Chaos 75
    Harrogate Velo50
    Ianwilliams

Any others want to join in??

Markhewitt - you're welcome to do stage one with us on the Saturday if you fancy some company!

So we can add pierceygy to this. 5 riders - any more takers??
  • Pencil me in for now Rodgers. If my current fitness stays as it is I'll only be doing stage 1!
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • rodgers73
    Sure thing - glad to have you onboard
  • I'll have some of this action if that is alright :D

Do you have dates decided yet?
  • rodgers73
    Not yet, but I think we have enough takers to start that discussion now...
  • When are you thinking then Tom?