Are you scared of change?

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited December 2013 in MTB general
Interesting poll over on Pinkbike, are you sceptical on anything new that's released and prefer to stick with tried and tested kit or are you one to embrace change?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Pinkbike-P ... -2013.html

Comments

• RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    It's been human nature for decades to be unwelcoming to change, in anything.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope I'm scared of random marketing bullshit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Depends whether it's change for the better, or change for the sake of it.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260

This.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I like worthwhile change. 650b is a change for the better, it's helped bring down the price of 26" stuff. I saved hundreds on my latest frame because crc are clearing out the old 26" frames to make way for the amazing new 650b frames.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    No otherwise I would still be riding a hefty, rigid,18 speed, chro-moly MTB with crap tyres and as good as non existant brakes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    arran77 wrote:

This.

26, 27.5 or 29er?
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Change is inevitable...
    ...except from a vending machine.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    arran77 wrote:

This.

Difficult though... How often do you not realise how rubbish things are until the new thing comes out? We didn't ride around on rigid bikes with cantis thinking how much better a lightweight carbon FS with a dropper post, discs and tubeless tyres would be, because it didn't exist. That bike didn't get any worse, better things came along.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    njee20 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

This.

Difficult though... How often do you not realise how rubbish things are until the new thing comes out? We didn't ride around on rigid bikes with cantis thinking how much better a lightweight carbon FS with a dropper post, discs and tubeless tyres would be, because it didn't exist. That bike didn't get any worse, better things came along.

Very much this. I wonder at what point people decide something is actually better than what proceeded it and is a worthwhile change.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    stubs wrote:
    No otherwise I would still be riding a hefty, rigid,18 speed, chro-moly MTB with crap tyres and as good as non existant brakes.

You had a 1990's GT Outpost to :)

The brakes were "exciting" off road on steep downhills.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The technology will always evolve, and most of have benefited in one form or another. "Change" though implies something totally different, and maybe not a shift back. Many people will be perfectly happy riding around on their old rigid bikes with canti brakes as it suits their needs and budget.

A lot of stuff is rushed to the market, even though they may be good ideas. The first disc brakes were dire, and it was only around 2007 I started using them seriously off road. And even now I am perfectly happy with V brakes for some riding, albeit most frames do not now have V brake posts.

Many things are options: dropper posts are options. Full suss is an option. And so on. But wheel sizes? These are being forced on us. I think 650b is the biggest pile of crap I have ever seen in MTB history.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope I'm scared of random marketing bullshit.

Mainly this ^^^^^^

FFS, I've said it before, I'll say it again; too many folk are more interested in bikes than cycling.
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:
    I think 650b is the biggest pile of crap I have ever seen in MTB history.

No, really, get off the fence... :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    There seems to be a lot of resistance to 650b from riders. It's something the industry has decided we are having rather than giving us a choice. It's a change that was never wanted.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    There's always going to be people who don't want to change. It's natural to assume that because you chose one particular standard it must be the right choice, even if you have no experience of the other options. Oh wait, you didn't choose to ride 26 did you? It was forced on you. Now we have choice and everyone moans about being forced to ride a certain size. Go figure.

I had awesome disc brakes back in 2002. I'm sure lots of people spent a lot of time in 2002 telling us all how disc brakes were no better/heavier/more difficult to maintain/too expensive than v brakes. I did of course ride the same stuff the same way the day before I got discs.

I've had about 12 months on 650b now, and I like it - I get back on a 26 and it feels rough and slippy. Not saying you should switch just because you can, but I think its a change for the better, a bit like discs over v brakes.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Agree with Supersonic.

Change is different to evolution, but evolution isn't always a good thing.

I'm not one to jump on a bandwaggon until its been tried, tested and can be proven to be worth the extra cash.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have no issue with justifiable change, some change is justifiable, but much that may have justification is also overhyped, I'm sure there is a benefit to some people of 650B for example, but it is certainly not the next coming of a cycling messiah, nor was 29er quite obviously now that 650B is being marketed as much better!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's the crux of it - it's how hard these changes are being pushed. Giant's amazing U turn on 29ers beggars belief, and I'm sure Specialized will introduce 650b soon too.

I remain convinced that the majority of riders couldn't tell the difference in 559 and 584 back to back, a 4.5% difference in radius which relates to the tyre sticking out 6mm more at 45 degrees and tiny differences in tyre contact patch size. And if you could feel a difference, could you say what was best? If you can and do, great. But to make an existing size obsolete for it? That's ridiculous in my eyes and that's my beef with this change.

I would like all three sizes out there, to give proper choice, not rubbish reasons why one size is better than another.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Maybe I don't read enough advertising, but I never felt the need to buy a 29er or indeed felt I was being told it was something I had to have, I looked at it, tested a couple, decided it wasn't for me and moved on. I've not given them another thought since then. Yet to this day there are still people taking the mickey out of 29ers and complaining about that wheel size. Grow up and move on people.

Likewise I don't think I am being pushed 27.5 in any particular way. There' always going to be 26 tyres etc. and when you want a complete new bike then moving to 27.5 won't be a big trauma as it will come with all the bits you need should you want to. I understand the scepticism over whether it's better, I just don't get the beef. It's just not something worth getting annoyed about. You do realise your 26 bikes are still compatible with the trails right? No one has actually made them obsolete.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Yes. But I'm excited about it.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have just bought another 26" bike. I have nothing against 650b, the two I rode just felt like 26".
    I have got too many spare 26" wheels and tyres to change to a different wheel size.
  • Kowalski675
    I have just bought another 26" bike. I have nothing against 650b, the two I rode just felt like 26".
    I have got too many spare 26" wheels and tyres to change to a different wheel size.

Give a pair of wheels to me, this will lessen your burden, and improve my hardtail... :wink:
  • Nope, not afraid of change and bought a 650b a few months back.

I didn't buy it because it was 650b or because I was trying to future proof, I bought it because after trying a number of bikes, it was the one that felt right for me. The bike suited my needs. and given the push by the industry in general I felt confident that I will be able to get wheels and tires until I either want to change my bike or kill myself in my overzealous attempt to enjoy myself.

Would I have bought a 26 inch-et...hell yes if I found one in my price range that I was as happy with. All I have to do now is work on my skills so that I am not an 'all the gear, no idea' rider!
  • nope, nothing wrong with some change. I even understand 29ers to a degree perfect if your a hippy :P

some things are change for the sake of change though, 650b is one of those things i feel, always will be mixed feelings with different things.
  • I have just bought another 26" bike. I have nothing against 650b, the two I rode just felt like 26".

Me too, stuck with 26" for the new Reign because of the EU tyre & wheel mountain that's in my shed.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    It's a bit wordy, and English isn't his native tongue... but this is a good take on it

http://waki-leaks.blogspot.se/2013/11/w ... cy-of.html

Pretty much sums up my views on the subject.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    supersonic wrote:

Haha, saw that doing the rounds on FB but I'm at work so haven't had the chance to watch it yet.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I hate watching vids of people who can actually ride.

Now I feel inadequate and like I should take up knitting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools