Pub Talk - The Perfect Win?

13»

Comments

• mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I KNEW IT

Oh Mike, Mike....cant believe you walked right into that one...

:)

Hey....I'm not trying to score points here, Its a cycling forum, I presume we all like cycle racing. I was merely making a point that there are many ways to win a race and they are all enjoyable, and exciting, in there own way. If you don't find the sight of 20 guys sprinting, handlebar to handlebar at 70k per hour, then I don't know what is. :D
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Yeah for me it's one where a rider takes their chance when not necessarily the strongest.
    That's exactly Lance Armstrong in the 1993 World Championships.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Here we go.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    "The perfect win" is when the protagonist falls off the steed and calls the organisers "murders". Proper man's cycling that, none of your poncing about in garish lycra, with tarts eye receptacles... Ahhhh Yaahhes!!!!!!

60893d1262884838-b-w-duc-poster-w-cigarette-mouth-tour-de-france-cigs.jpg

"Another dipple whisky..."
  • I think the question is perfect for who?

As a rider the perfect win is probably tactical and one where you make the right decisions, get in the right break and then get the right wheel before timing your sprint to win by a tyre with the most efficient use of energy so that you only do what you have to to win and no more
    As a team the perfect win is one where you control the whole race
    As a fan it's probably the suicide lone break when the rider gets reeled back in but somehow digs deep and goes again
    As a French broadcaster it's probably a Frenchman winning on Bastille Day to take the yellow jersey
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    For us greytops, especially those of us who were on or around the final bend, Saronni's 1982 Goodwood WC win was as perfectly judged as you'll ever see. Made even better by the fact that we had watched Mandy Jones take the Ladies' race the day before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPX_PGojGLI

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • How about Hushovd's win into Lourdes in 2011? Has anyone mentioned it yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbN5WPJbfpY
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Laurent Jalabert's solo effort in the 1995 Tour was pretty special. It involved a perfectly executed team strategy by Once to distance Indurain, before Jalabert went solo over the final climb to win.

It was so popular they ended up naming the mountain after him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71bQBwSayE
  • deejay
    FocusZing wrote:
    "The perfect win" is when the protagonist falls off the steed and calls the organisers "murders". Proper man's cycling that, none of your poncing about in garish lycra, with tarts eye receptacles... Ahhhh Yaahhes!!!!!!

60893d1262884838-b-w-duc-poster-w-cigarette-mouth-tour-de-france-cigs.jpg
    Here yar, light yer Fag from my Fag and we can start racing later.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Love how they all look like they're coming home from the mines.

You're on a solo breakaway and yer fag goes out, no lighter to hand - prob best to wait up for the bunch to catch you, get a light and go for the sprint with yer lungs fully warmed up

pistard-2013.11.24.19.59.06-1-GVS%20sm.jpg
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    3 best I have ever seen. Thierry Marie 1991 TDF..150 mile solo to win, Sean Yates same at Nissan classic about 1987..100+ solo miles, and Tony Martin at this Vuelta 2013 same. Exploits like these at what I like most in the sport
  • The perfect win is when there is a clear set out plan and the team rides to the plan and gets the win, so Cav winning the worlds could be classed as the perfect win.

But as has been said perfect and favourite are two very different things, personally i like wins where you just see the pure strength and class of a rider blowing everyone away ie pretty much all of Cancellaras and Gilberts wins are like that, they are both fairly predictable riders but when they are pinging and hit it full gas there is nothing anyone can do about them. But i also like wins that don't look possible like can winning san remo and stage 18 of 2012 tour when it looks impossible to catch the leaders but he somehow does it.
  • tumblr_mx6r69eVmv1t3opvio1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Question for those picking Cav's WC win.

If it was the Germans leading out Greipel in the same race would it still be the perfect win?

Is national bias playing a part here?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

If it was the Germans leading out Greipel in the same race would it still be the perfect win?

aboslutely - was just about to post the same thing

objectively I can see how it wouldn't be that great
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Crozza wrote:

Yeah, but Cav would have beaten him. That was the perfection there. Deliver Cav right and the race was as good as won. It just took an incredible amount of work to get him to the line.

Not personally my idea of the perfect win, but I take my hat off to it's execution, it was nearly flawless.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • deejay
    Dave_1 wrote:
    3 best I have ever seen. Thierry Marie 1991 TDF..150 mile solo to win,
    That stage Robert Millar crashed about 10/15 Km's before the Finish where I was standing and Marie was absolutely knackered.
    Went as a foot passenger on the Le Harve ferry then Train connections (over night in Rouen) and the TT two days later.
    I thought it was 1990 but you are correct and I think it is time to throw that Timetable with my ink marks in it.

Mention of Sean Yates has a good win in the Tour de Trump where he took off on his own (well he was doing the bulk of the work) for 3 finishing circuits with the Bunch trying to chase him down. (circa 1993 ? on German Satelite)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Crozza wrote:

Yeah, but Cav would have beaten him. That was the perfection there. Deliver Cav right and the race was as good as won. It just took an incredible amount of work to get him to the line.

Not personally my idea of the perfect win, but I take my hat off to it's execution, it was nearly flawless.

Well, they did have a lot of guys doing the work as well, didn't they.. We saw how well it worked when the competition was more fair and teams were more balanced in the Olympics.
  • Question for those picking Cav's WC win.

But it wasn't just another leads out was it. It was perfect control of the whole race...like a Golf :wink:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I'd throw out Sarah Storey's Paralympic road race win - so fast they had to neutralise the (nominally faster) men's race in front of her to let her past. Sure, that mostly happened through tactical shenanigans in front, but it underlined her superiority in that event.

In general though, I find the best wins are those that evolve over many hours, with large amounts of effort and tactical shifts, but that remain uncertain until the very end. That includes sprints, in case it needed spelling out. I personally find watching the lead rider being miles ahead of anyone on the final climb and in no apparent difficulty extremely boring, but realise I'm in a minority of one here...
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    deejay wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    3 best I have ever seen. Thierry Marie 1991 TDF..150 mile solo to win,
    That stage Robert Millar crashed about 10/15 Km's before the Finish where I was standing and Marie was absolutely knackered.
    Went as a foot passenger on the Le Harve ferry then Train connections (over night in Rouen) and the TT two days later.
    I thought it was 1990 but you are correct and I think it is time to throw that Timetable with my ink marks in it.

Mention of Sean Yates has a good win in the Tour de Trump where he took off on his own (well he was doing the bulk of the work) for 3 finishing circuits with the Bunch trying to chase him down. (circa 1993 ? on German Satelite)

Millar was heavily bandaged through the rest of that TDF 1991..neck brace on...I watched at Alpe D'huez that year. Yates win is mentioned in a Kimage's Rough Ride too. Here's Marie reflecting that epic solo break. I wish my French was better. Could anyone do a paraphrase? Thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95UWdRN6CxA

any win by Fignon too for me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_fGSp2qbU
  • mike6

Great question. For me? very probably, but ask the French and they will probably pick a Frenchman winning on Bastile day. Whats not to like?

I think what makes it special is the fact he was favorite. Being able to nail your colours to the mast like that and still be able to control the whole race, despite all the other teams knowing your plan and all doing there best to upset it, In a race of that distance and importance, Is an amazing feat. Perfect. :D
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Cuddles stage 7 win in the 2010 Giro (Montalcino) wasn't bad, his Fleche Walonne the same year up there too.

Chinny 2010 Roubaix - forgot that Hammond was 4th that day until I looked it up.
  • Dave he doesnt say much. `When I escaped in the first 5km I turned around and Hinault made a gesture as if to say, he knows the sport... but he is mad. But he thought oh well, we are arriving in Normandy, the fans deserve it. And I succeeded. The next day, my dad didnt have any accreditation but he followed me in the car. I took the opposite direction of the race and the police looked at me because I was from Normanday but they forget that there was a car that had no right to be there and it was my dad`. No idea what the last point is supposed to mean?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mm1 wrote:
    Cuddles stage 7 win in the 2010 Giro (Montalcino) wasn't bad, his Fleche Walonne the same year up there too.

Chinny 2010 Roubaix - forgot that Hammond was 4th that day until I looked it up.

Do you mean the Big Maggy win, was Hammond not third?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    mike6 wrote:
    mm1 wrote:

Do you mean the Big Maggy win, was Hammond not third?
    No, he means 2010 when Hammond was 4th.
    http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ra ... ceid=17123
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mike6
    Ooops, my mistake. :oops:
  • deejay
    mike6 wrote:
    Not Really, and deserves merit.
    In the 2004 Paris-Roubaix, Hammond was 3rd to Maggy and they both beat Chinny into 4th place.
  • mike6
    deejay wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    Not Really, and deserves merit.
    In the 2004 Paris-Roubaix, Hammond was 3rd to Maggy and they both beat Chinny into 4th place.

Phew......... credibility, not that I ever had any, saved. :lol: