Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    dov2711 wrote:
    take a toddler to asda for some risks.

I just want to know what this involves!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    My other half is on her second mini. Currently a One Convertible. It is the newer version of the mini and the engine is quite pokey. The only benefit to getting the Cooper is a few more horses, the trim levels are the same as the one. They are a good solid car and nice to drive as you would expect from BMW.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    My other daughter has an Astra - bigger, more practical but boring as hell.
    But what's the Astra like?
  • One more for the shortlist?

xlarge_ferrari_bike_1.jpg

What can I say? A snazzy bit of machinery from a famous Italian marque whose products are way out of my price range. Oh, and a Ferrari or something is in the photo as well....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Monkeypump wrote:
    dov2711 wrote:
    take a toddler to asda for some risks.

I just want to know what this involves!

Lasagna
  • didnt know hairdressers were so into cycling!
  • not forgetting toss wit estate agents.

actually hairdressers are more audi tt
  • not forgetting toss wit estate agents.

And of course "chinless wonders". Although they'll get you out of Turin faster than anyone else on four wheels - not many people know that. ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    How much of your money have we got to play with here?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • brearley
    brearley Posts: 165
    I ended up buying a Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2007 with 49k on the clock
    My budget was £4000
    My shortlist was drawn up as at that price range I wanted practicality, good fuel consumption and a nice overall looking car.
    If I were to buy a Golf or an Audi a3 at that price I'd have been looking at lower models with higher mileage.
    With the focus I'll have no problems it drives nice and it's a smooth looking car.

I work for a company who supply parts for Honda, and Toyota and having to deal with their purchasing departments daily I decided against buying a 2nd hand one. Just a personal thing but I look at there current and future models daily, I don't want to be driving one too.
  • brearley wrote:
    I wanted practicality, good fuel consumption and a nice overall looking car.
    brearley wrote:
    I ended up buying a Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec

:?
    tick - tick - tick
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    brearley wrote:
    I wanted practicality, good fuel consumption and a nice overall looking car.
    Which one did you settle for then? :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    What are you going to use the car for? Kids, etc???

Anyway, C-Max is just horrible, get an S-Max if you've got kids. That's what I want us to get if our wagon dies.

Fiesta is a cracking car, driven a few. Astra may be a good car but Vauxhalls are usually driven by total peanut-brains.

If it's just you and some space for the bike, get a second hand van.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    brearley wrote:

My shortlist is:
    VW Polo 1.2 S
    Ford Fiests 1.25 Zetec
    Skoda Fabia 1.2
    Vauxhall Astra 1.6
    Mini Cooper 1.6
    Ford Focus C-max 1.8 Zetec

Let me know your thoughts.

This is a strange shortlist. There are cars of very different size, structure and performance on the list. You can get a bicycle into almost any car, so don't worry about that. Buy the car you want and try to avoid shortlists.

Whatever you buy will depreciate precipitously and cost money to run. You are 22, you say. You will not sit back at 30 and say how cool it was that you had a (fill in the blank) when you were 22 or 23.

My brain says get a slightly tired Citroen Berlingo or Renault Kangoo and take advantage of the enormous interior, gentle running costs and low price. Many cyclists I know have one of the above or have one in the family as general tugboats. They may be the finest cyclists' car yet sold.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Why are people still making suggestions? :roll:

Try reading the thread.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • secretsam
    daviesee wrote:

Try reading the thread.

We're (mostly) men. The OP was about cars. Men + cars = unstoppable conversation.

• daviesee
    SecretSam wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Try reading the thread.

We're (mostly) men. The OP was about cars. Men + cars = unstoppable conversation.
    :lol:

Does this mean that I have just added to it even further?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    daviesee wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Try reading the thread.

Yes.

What on earth is all this drivvel about? Buy a roof rack. Have whatever car you like.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • secretsam
    daviesee wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Try reading the thread.

Yes.

What on earth is all this drivvel about? Buy a roof rack. Have whatever car you like.

That's like saying "It's just a bike, get one that looks nice"

• pinno
    SecretSam wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Try reading the thread.

Yes.

That's like saying "It's just a bike, get one that looks nice"

No body ever in the world has ever bought a bike because it looks nice?! I mean you wouldn't want a Master Olympic with chromed rear triangle/forks and chrome long point lugs with stunning paintwork?
    Yeah, have it on black with no decals and black tyres and black bottle cages and black handlebar tape 'cos it's all about the performance, f*ck style, it is overrated. :P
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    a roof rack is fine until you want to leave your bike with the car for any length of time and come back to find its gone.

Volvo Estate for me V70R - fits almost anything in the boot, and as I'm mid 40's, I don't look out of place driving it - before you slag it off for being an old mans car. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • daviesee
    t4tomo wrote:
    a roof rack is fine until you want to leave your bike with the car for any length of time and come back to find its gone.

Volvo Estate for me V70R - fits almost anything in the boot, and as I'm mid 40's, I don't look out of place driving it - before you slag it off for being an old mans car. :D
    Are you saying that you look like an old man?
  • pinno
    t4tomo wrote:

So you get out of your old mans car and then slip into some lycra onyl to look like a MAMIL? :D
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Do not go near Vauxhall as all their cars are complete sh*t and anyone who say's different is a liar. :wink:
    I really have no love for cars at all so as long as the one I'm driving gets the job done, I'm happy.

I have a Zafira. Great family car.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • daviesee
    Daz555 wrote:
    Do not go near Vauxhall as all their cars are complete sh*t and anyone who say's different is a liar. :wink:
    I really have no love for cars at all so as long as the one I'm driving gets the job done, I'm happy.

I have a Zafira. Great family car.
    And a bike is a bike for all that.
    Enjoying your BSO?

• What on earth is all this drivvel about? Buy a roof rack. Have whatever car you like.

My little C1 cant have a roof rack on, but it does fit a bike inside with the back seat down... :D
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273

My little C1 cant have a roof rack on, but it does fit a bike inside with the back seat down... :D

Both wheels off?

Any car will fit a bke in if you dismanlte enough of it and do not want to carry anything else in there :mrgreen:

For me if I need to take anything more than the front wheel out, the car is not fit for the purpose of carrying bikes.

My car swallows the bike whole without the need to remove anything, which is what 'fitting your bike in the car' should actually mean IMO.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • daviesee
    smidsy wrote:

Both wheels off?

Any car will fit a bke in if you dismanlte enough of it and do not want to carry anything else in there :mrgreen:

For me if I need to take anything more than the front wheel out, the car is not fit for the purpose of carrying bikes.

My car swallows the bike whole without the need to remove anything, which is what 'fitting your bike in the car' should actually mean IMO.

Agreed!
    Open boot.
    Put bike in.
    Close boot.

Thats how it should be done. :P
  • pinno
    daviesee wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Both wheels off?

Agreed!
    Open boot.
    Put bike in.
    Put kids in.
    Put OH in.
    Turn Radio up loud.
    Close boot.

Thats how it should be done. :P

FTFY
  • daviesee

FTFY
    Not quite.

It then should be bikes or no others. :wink: